MS terms of use are changing

sunrat

I got an email from MS advising updated terms of use. I was surprised a bit because initially I thought I had never signed up for any MS services with my email address. But then remembered I used Windows Live and Skype for Grand Theft Auto IV a couple of years ago.

Anyone else got this email advice yet?

Apparently if I mention duck hunting preferences in an email they can delete my cloud documents and outlook account along with disabling my phone and cutting off Windows security updates. Hopefully starting my car doesn't rely on Microsoft services when that happens.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/06/16/breaking-microsoft-bans-use-services-promoting-guns/

I got it.

Since Microsoft isn't in the habit of sending me e-mails, I assumed it was a spoofed return address, and deleted it.

Aside from using their OS, and updating it, my only Microsoft "service" is an ancient Hotmail account.

How do they feel about flyfishing? After all many of the fur and feathers used to tie trout flies were taken from an animal that was killed by a hunter.

Edited by Pete!

Guest LilBambi

Sounds like this email may be a phishing scam?

If you want to know about Microsoft's various types of Services agreements:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/microsoft-services-agreement

And there was a change on June 11, 2014 that will be effective July 31, 2014.

The worst part of phishing emails is that they often use real life situations but may not lead to the developer's website.

Sounds like this email may be a phishing scam?

If you want to know about Microsoft's various types of Services agreements:

http://windows.micro...vices-agreement

And there was a change on June 11, 2014 that will be effective July 31, 2014.

The worst part of phishing emails is that they often use real life situations but may not lead to the developer's website.

That's what I thought at first, but maybe not.....

The link in the email isn't exactly the same as your link, but it takes me to the same URL.

There was no login, or submission of information required.

If it's a scam, it's very carefully crafted.

BTW: If you click on "Code of conduct", among other prohibitions you can read....

promotes or otherwise facilitates the purchase and sale of ammunition or firearms.

I got the same email in my outlook account. Since no one has my outlook email address except for 1 company as of yesterday, after I received the email from MS. I'm about 99% it is legitimate.

I didn't bother reading it. Just the time I had it figured out, the terms will change again.

James M. Fisher

Not sure if this is related or not, but there is new anti-spam legislation that goes into effect on July 1st here in Canada. I received an email from MS Canada (and other Canadian companies) asking me to confirm that I still wanted to be on their mailing list. http://fightspam.gc.ca/eic/site/030.nsf/eng/h_00230.html

Guest LilBambi

Interesting James. I just checked my Outlook.com email and I don't have one in my email box.

Could be they are sending it out in batches.

Like get it later then.

Guest LilBambi

Interesting about the ammunition and firearms. Weird in fact. In your email? Who has control over what you get in email? I rarely use my Outlook.com email but did get one from Skype recently but it was not about the updated ToS etc.

Edited by LilBambi

Yes, it is legitimate. Considering the number of people worldwide who use Microsoft services, the mailing has to be staggered.

Who has control over what you get in email?

Blimey I thought you would know the answer to that one. :harhar: At the moment they are just reading your e-mails but they do have the power to censor when they are ready. :devil:

This is the header of the email, all links return to microsoft.com or live.com, so it looks legit.

From - Tue Jun 17 20:10:26 2014
X-Account-Key: account2
X-UIDL: GmailId146a7cb00330abb0
X-Mozilla-Status: 0001
X-Mozilla-Status2: 00000000
X-Mozilla-Keys:
Delivered-To: <my-address-removed>@gmail.com
Received: by 10.76.24.98 with SMTP id t2csp136272oaf;
Mon, 16 Jun 2014 20:07:18 -0700 (PDT)
X-Received: by 10.66.66.225 with SMTP id i1mr29247268pat.0.1402974437707;
Mon, 16 Jun 2014 20:07:17 -0700 (PDT)
Return-Path: <email@microsoft.microsoft.com>
Received: from smtpi.msn.com (co1gmehub09.msn.com. [65.55.52.250])
by mx.google.com with ESMTPS id bu1si12932784pbc.136.2014.06.16.20.07.17
for <my-address-removed>@gmail.com
(version=TLSv1 cipher=ECDHE-RSA-AES128-SHA bits=128/128);
Mon, 16 Jun 2014 20:07:17 -0700 (PDT)
Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of email@microsoft.microsoft.com designates 65.55.52.250 as permitted sender) client-ip=65.55.52.250;
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com;
spf=pass (google.com: domain of email@microsoft.microsoft.com designates 65.55.52.250 as permitted sender) smtp.mail=email@microsoft.microsoft.com;
dmarc=pass (p=NONE dis=NONE) header.from=microsoft.com
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 20:06:56 -0700
To: <my-address-removed>@gmail.com
Message-ID: <em8.507ad8b0.20140616181247.2.-.373.1458011.53902@microsoft.microsoft.com>
Subject: Our terms of use are changing
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="-----146a7caadc8_1cab"
X-Mailer: 10.0.3.1.44; msn
X-rpcampaign: msft560398
Return-Path: email@microsoft.microsoft.com
X-Message-Routing:
2Pp+LMNbq5fYx4rJluL8ocahy38xLwZzJ0OU2jcwGm1D3QHEgB0H70JpXwPNZHU6zZGUV1Nb2nkb+hcpnfZo4mD7awKNeHelJLjCbWjzs4iXhFtg=

-------146a7caadc8_1cab
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Edited by LilBambi
<my-address-removed> removed the other places where email was located

Guest LilBambi

I also got this email this morning from Microsoft in my Outlook.com email account:

Sent: Thu 6/19/14 9:53 AM

Here's what it said:

We're updating our terms of use and privacy statement.

Our users' needs are at the center of everything we do. That's why we are updating the Microsoft Services Agreement and providing a Privacy Statement for Windows Services. We want to take this opportunity to highlight some of the key changes and what they mean for you.

Privacy

As part of our ongoing commitment to respecting your privacy, we won't use your documents, photos or other personal files or what you say in email, chat, video calls or voice mail to target advertising to you.

Transparency

We updated our Code of Conduct so you can better understand the types of behaviors that could affect your account, and added language that parents are responsible for minor children's use of Microsoft account and services, including purchases.

Simplicity

We tailor our privacy statements for each of our products to help make it easier for you to find the information that is important to you.

The Microsoft Services Agreement applies to your Microsoft account and includes many of our customer services such as Outlook.com, OneDrive, and Bing, while the privacy statement explains how your personal information is collected, used and protected across your Microsoft account, Outlook.com and OneDrive.

The new updates to these will take effect on July 31, 2014. If you continue to use our services after July 31, 2014, you agree to the updated terms or, if you don't agree, you can cancel your service at any time.

We encourage you to use the links below for further details and to view the full agreements online.

Thank you for using Microsoft products and services.

Privacy Policy | Service Agreement | FAQ

Microsoft

Microsoft respects your privacy. Review our online Privacy Statement.

Microsoft Corporation, One Microsoft Way, Redmond, WA 98052

NOTE: You might want to click through to the Privacy Policy and look at the settings regarding targeted ads being delivered to you through your Microsoft account. I personally Opted Out.

Thank you Microsoft for giving me the openness and ability to Opt Out.

NOTE: The links above from the email are the actual links not the tracking links that I received in my email. I clicked through and posted the actual links to the Microsoft site for you.

Edited by LilBambi

Guest LilBambi

For simplicity from the Windows Services Privacy Statement:

How We Use Your Personal Information

Microsoft uses the information we collect to operate, improve and personalize the products and services we offer.

We also may use the information to communicate with you, for example, informing you about your account and security updates.

And we may use the information to help make the ads you see on our ad-supported services more relevant. We do not use what you say in email, chat, video calls or voice mail to target advertising to you. We do not use your documents, photos or other personal files to target advertising to you. You may opt out of receiving targeted ads from Microsoft Advertising by visiting our opt-out page.

Of course you must be logged in to make this and other changes.

Edited by LilBambi

Guest LilBambi

NOTE: I think Microsoft has done a very foolish thing in that it says if they close the account or terminate the account, they will recirculate the account name.

This is something Google after acquiring Blogger learned a long time ago. They learned that they should not release old, removed or terminated accounts to be reused by others. What happens is that malware users get that account name and start spamming and phishing and putting malware on blogs, in emails, etc. that put others at risk.

AND THIS IS even more dangerous since you MUST now log in to your Microsoft account at least once a year or you will lose it.

Guest LilBambi

I just had my Mac read the MSA to me and I now have a major headache. I don't like some of what they can do if they 'think' you have violated this nearly all encompassing document.

Sunrat, your address is visible in that full header. Just sayin'

Thanks. I removed it in one place but missed the other.

• Like 1

Microsoft did a horrible job of posting this:

The references to firearms and ammunition was removed from the current edition, but since this long document is followed by the older version they look like the same extra long document. The anti-gun link is in the second document under 3.5 Code of Conduct.

Edited by Robert

[Edited to fix broken link. AG]

Hello,

Ah... found it! The Windows Live Code of Conduct from 2009 states:

• promotes or otherwise facilitates the purchase and sale of ammunition or firearms.

at windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-live/code-of-conduct. I am not a lawyer, but I suspect this is rather unenforceable. In any case, Windows Live was discontinued last year, so I would thinkg it extremely unlikely if many sporting goods stores, gun shops or manufacturers were still using that service for sales and marketing.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Guest LilBambi

Microsoft did a horrible job of posting this:

The references to firearms and ammunition was removed from the current edition, but since this long document is followed by the older version they look like the same extra long document. The anti-gun link is in the second document under 3.5 Code of Conduct.

All I can say is, it's all so arbitrary, I would not keep my ONLY copy of ANYTHING on OneDrive just in case someone gets a bug up their nose and decides to harass a user. The way it's written, just about anything can be considered something offending to someone.

Hello,

Ah... found it! The Windows Live Code of Conduct from 2009 states:

• promotes or otherwise facilitates the purchase and sale of ammunition or firearms.

at http://windows.micro...-of-conduct. I am not a lawyer, but I suspect this is rather unenforceable. In any case, Windows Live was discontinued last year, so I would thinkg it extremely unlikely if many sporting goods stores, gun shops or manufacturers were still using that service for sales and marketing.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Interesting, it looks like they have removed the page, or the link is incorrect?

Edited by LilBambi

All I can say is, it's all so arbitrary, I would not keep my ONLY copy of ANYTHING on OneDrive just in case someone gets a bug up their nose and decides to harass a user. The way it's written, just about anything can be considered something offending to someone.

Interesting, it looks like they have removed the page, or the link is incorrect?

Link is incorrect. The forum software, or the way he posted it, added ". I" to the link.

It's possible that they're aware how few people actually read these things, and didn't particularly worry about losing the southern and rural. areas of the US.

Guest LilBambi

Link is incorrect. The forum software, or the way he posted it, added ". I" to the link.

It's possible that they're aware how few people actually read these things, and didn't particularly worry about losing the southern and rural. areas of the US.

Yes, and those will be the gotchas for sure...

AND THIS IS even more dangerous since you MUST now log in to your Microsoft account at least once a year or you will lose it.

Once a year is generous. Yahoo for a long time would close your account if you did not log in for 6 months.

Adam