LinkedIn Intro Security Problem

amenditman

If you are a LinkedIn user with an iPhone or iPad, you should do some research before using/opting in to Intro app for email.

I searched "linkedin intro security" and found a bunch of write-ups of the security risks and questionable practices built in to Intro.

LinkedIn 'Intro'duces Insecurity by Bishop Fox is a good place to start.

LinkedIn released a new product today called Intro. They call it “doing the impossible”, but some might call it “hijacking email”. Why do we say this? Consider the following:

Intro reconfigures your iOS device (e.g. iPhone, iPad) so that all of your emails go through LinkedIn’s servers. You read that right. Once you install the Intro app, all of your emails, both sent and received, are transmitted via LinkedIn’s servers. LinkedIn is forcing all your IMAP and SMTP data through their own servers and then analyzing and scraping your emails for data pertaining to…whatever they feel like.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Yeah, I read about this elsewhere today. Security sure seems to be taking a back seat to making profits these days... or has it always been that way?

Yeah, I read about this elsewhere today. Security sure seems to be taking a back seat to making profits these days... or has it always been that way?

Always!

But even ethical companies, and there have been a few, must make profit.

Just a big balancing act.

V.T. Eric Layton

That's true. Making a profit is pretty much the reason for a company to exist; otherwise, their financial situation would be like my own... quite unprofitable.