Best DVD burner........??

councillor

A good DVD burner should burn all formats.....right?? at least the -r and +r formats ??
Yeah, a DVD burner is my next toy. And yes I think you should get one that covers all formats. Microsoft is backing the + format, but I do not see any one format being crowned a winner any time soon. Besides, each format is better for different things. May as well get a burner that takes advantage of each formats pluses.The one I have my eye on is the Sony DRU500AX. From Sony's site:• Write Speed: DVD-R: 1X, 2X, 4X** max. DVD-RW: 1X, 2X max. DVD+R: 2.4X, 4X**max. DVD+RW: 2.4X max. CD-R: 4X, 12X, 16X, 24X Z-CLV max. CD-RW: 4X, 10X** max.• Read SpeedDVD-ROM: 8X max. CD-ROM: 32X max. • Random Access Time: 200 ms (DVD 8X) 160 ms (CD 32X) • Sustained Data Transfer Rate: 11.4 MB/s (8X DVD-ROM) • Buffer Memory: 8MB • Buffer Underrun Protection Technology • Supported disc format: DVD-ROM, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-Video CD, CD-DA, CD-ROM (XA), CD Extra, Video CD, Photo CD*, CD Text, multi-session • Software Contents: Veritas RecordNow DX: CD/DVD Mastering SoftwareVertias DLA: Drive Letter Recording SoftwareVeritas Simple Backup: Backup SoftwareSonic Solutions MyDVD: DVD Video Authoring SoftwareArcSoft ShowBiz: Video Editing SoftwareCyberlink PowerDVD: soft DVD player SoftwareMusicMatch Jukebox: Play, Record, and Organize your personal music • System Requirements: Pentium III 400 Mhz or faster (or equivalent) CPU minimum. Pentium III 800 MHz or faster (or equivalent) CPU is recommended for real time video authoring/editing, 64 MB of RAM (128 MB or more is recommended), and 1 GB of free hard disc drive space. OS: Windows 98SE/2000, ME, and XP Home and Professional

Hi Stryder, what's the street price on the unit you described? Which of the formats is supported by most existing DVD players?Thanks.
I have seen them as cheap (online) as $300. But the vast majority of places I have seen them in the $350 range. If the DVD player is newer (last year or so) you should have no problem with either format. But supposedly the + format is compatible with more players.+ format will also allow packet writing, meaning you can use it like a floppy and just leave it in the drive and add data to it when ever you want without over-writing the data that is already on it.

• 2 weeks later...
But supposedly the + format is compatible with more players.
I don't believe this is true. Each camp seems to have it's own set of statistics claiming better compatibility. It would appear that actually -R has the edge. The great thing about -R, is discs can be had for about $1, but +R's are dropping in price.

But supposedly the + format is compatible with more players.
I don't believe this is true. Each camp seems to have it's own set of statistics claiming better compatibility. It would appear that actually -R has the edge. The great thing about -R, is discs can be had for about $1, but +R's are dropping in price.
I do not own one yet, so I can only go by what I read. And I have read alot on this subject prior to the latest generations of multi-format burners. But like you said....it is basically politics. Each camp is going to claim supremacy.As far as price goes, here in the USA, most major retailers are are selling both formats at the same price.

Hmm 350 green bucks sure cost a lot :D hey councillor u hold on for few months.....has this is a emrgering toy....so let is flood the market a bitor more better i am waiting till longhorn is released then see which format is most support vertically and horizontallyin compatibility terms and which would work in longhorn and any other dvd player........I am playing the wait and watch game....... :D Yeah with the camps divided and the comming of the new blue ray based optical drives i'll wait more..well if u want to buy.......head to cnet.com and check the best price and drive as tested..... :D

I use a program, DVDxCOPY, that allows you to make perfect backups of your DVD movies ( for archival purposes ). Based on that usage & all the posts in their forum, -R seems to be the most supported format by players. In my opinion, Pioneer DVR-A04/104 & DVR-A05/105 are the most popular. A lot of other brands out there are simply rebranded Pioneers. The A04/104 burns up to 2x if you buy that speed media. The A05/105 burns up to 4x if you buy the higher speed media. Right now 1x DVD-R media is the cheapest out there, but prices will continue to fall.If you want to hedge yor bets, Sony's combo -r/+r drive fits the bill. Although it cost more.As to players, Sony seems to be the best for +/- DVD media. If you have a Best Buy, check out the DVD player tags. They state what types of media the players support. I'm sure other stores have the same info.

I also found this info. on that subject!!" get the latest EASY VCD its does all in one go but takes a while for the decoding etc. "and all you have to do is burn it as a vcd in neroa website for d/l here; www.eazyvcd.tk/excellent results........

The problem with VCD is that the quality is low, in my mind sub VHS. But then how else can you get any signifacant amount of video on a 650/700 meg CD-R.

Can someone point me to an article (or explain) the differences between + and -r and what uses they are designed for (ie. movie playing as opposed to data storage)?

"+ " and "-" are competing DVD recordable standards. Both are designed for data archiving, as well as movies. Most burners do one or the other, with the exception of the newer Sony combo burners.You can get up to 4x burning with either format, but it costs a lot more. Burning speed is a combination of what the burner can do & what the media supports. 1x media is by far the cheapest."-" has better comnpatibilty, at least as far as playing movioes in regular DVD players."-" also has the benefit of the media being a little cheaperAt some point a standard will be set & one format will disapear, like Betamax vs VHS, but nobody knows when. It looks like the "-" standard will win out, but who knows. Sony is hedging its bet by supporting the "-" format when they originally only supported the "+" format. Sony is the big name for "+" & Pioneer is the big name for "-" so you can check their web sites to get more detailed info.

At some point a standard will be set & one format will disapear, like Betamax vs VHS, but nobody knows when. It looks like the "-" standard will win out, but who knows.
Plextor just checked in with the +R crowd.

About two weeks ago I bit the bullet and got the Sony DRU-500AX, what a dream! It not only does ALL the DVD formats, it also writes CD's. A 4.1 Gig data burn takes about twenty minutes, (then add another twenty to check the burn) Forty minutes total. Writable Discs: DVD+R/+RW DVD-R/-RW CD-R/-RW, it reads: DVD-Video DVD-ROM CD-ROM and Audio CD. I've burnt data DVD's, Video DVD's, data CD's and VCD's without a coaster yet. It's CD burner isn't as fast as the Sony CD burner it replaced a Sony 40X .... CD-R write speed is 24X for the DVD burner. I do Video editing so it was great to be able to archive 20 Gigs of material to free up hard drive space.