CD Burner

Stylez

Hi, I've been curious for a while about linux so a few days ago i decided to give it a try and i installed.. Everything has been going great except for one thing.. I can't figure out how to install my cd burner so i can burn files or copy a cd from my cd/dvd drive.. can anyone help?thanks.. Shane

Hi ShaneA very warm welcome to the forum ! . . I hope we will find the answer to your problem ;)Can you tell us what distro you installed and if you have 1 or 2 CD devices . . . . . . also can you open a terminal and post us the outcome of the following command:$ ls /mntI will have additional questions once I have answers to these . . . :DB) Bruno

I'm running mandrak 9.1.. and I have 2 drives.. an Acer dvd drive.. and a Lg burner..running the command u specified i get "cdrecorder/ cdrom/ cdrom2/ floppy/ windows/"

Well, Shane that does look good to begin with . . . would you mind to give another command in a console ?$ cdrecord --scanbusAnd tell me what number the LG burner gets ?:blink: Bruno

I hope i did it right but this is what i get.. " $ cdrecord --scanbusCdrecord 2.0 (i586-mandrake-linux-gnu) Copyright © 1995-2002 Jörg Schillingcdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/pg*'. Cannot open SCSI driver.cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are root.cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'. "

ShaneWe´re not there yet . . more info needed :lol: . . . . sorry . . . . $ cat /etc/lilo.conf( You know you can copy and paste from the console in your post by selecting with the mouse and pasting it by pressing the wheel of your mouse. Selecting does copy at the same time )We want to see if the "append"-line has "hdc=ide-scsi"Do you have one or 2 HD´s ??:blink: BrunoPS: I will be off line soon, but either someone else will take over, or I will be back tomorrow myself . . . . . .

I have 1 HD.. and when i type that command in I get this:

$ cat /etc/lilo.confboot=/dev/hdamap=/boot/mapdefault="linux-enterpris"keytable=/boot/us.kltpromptnowarntimeout=100message=/boot/messagemenu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bwimage=/boot/vmlinuz        label="linux"        root=/dev/hda5        initrd=/boot/initrd.img        append="devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi acpi=off quiet"        vga=788        read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz        label="linux-nonfb"        root=/dev/hda5        initrd=/boot/initrd.img        append="devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi acpi=off"        read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz-enterprise        label="linux-enterpris"        root=/dev/hda5        initrd=/boot/initrd-enterprise.img        append="devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi acpi=off"        read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz        label="failsafe"        root=/dev/hda5        initrd=/boot/initrd.img        append="devfs=nomount hdd=ide-scsi acpi=off failsafe"        read-onlyother=/dev/hda1        label="windows"        table=/dev/hdaother=/dev/fd0        label="floppy"        unsafe

I see that it is hdd that has the line Bruno was referring to. Are you sure which drive is which? Have you booted in Windows or another distro so that you know for sure which one is first? Or have you looked at /mnt to see which one is listed first there?

well thats another problem that ill figure out another day.. i cant get into windows now that i installed linux.. it gets to the winxp professional bootup screen then restarts itself.. but i have k3b and it detects my dvd drive.. so i know which one that is.. but it wont detect the burner.. i hope that helps a little bit..

Forget to ask one thing, stylez. Have you tried going into k3b and just seeing if you could burn a CD from there? It might be configured perfectly and you just don't know it yet.

well.. i tried it in root.. same error.. i go into k3b.. and i found out.. its saying my burner it a reader.. i have 2 readers and no burners..says k3b..

Hi ShaneI think I found what´s wrong ( in the lilo.conf you posted). . . . :

image=/boot/vmlinuz        label="linux"        root=/dev/hda5        initrd=/boot/initrd.img        append="devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi acpi=off quiet"        vga=788        read-only
You see "hdd=ide-scsi"in the append line there ? . . Well hda is your HD, hdb would be your DVD so your burner should be hdc and not hdd like it says there.Open a console and:
$ su< rootpassword > ( after this the $ at the end of the prompt changes in a # )# kedit /etc/lilo.conf

now just change "hdd=ide-scsi" in the append line so it looks like:

append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi acpi=off quiet"

Save the file and give two lasts commands:

# /sbin/lilo# reboot

After the reboot, try the command again:

cdrecord --scanbus

:whistling: Bruno

Well, I'll just add my hat to this one rather than start a new thread. RedHat 9. I just had to try it so I put my laptop burner into caddy for the Thinkpad. ;) Bootloader: Grub"cdrecord --scanbus" does not detect any drives.Can't tell where or if hdc=SCSI-IDE will show up.I noticed a few errors while booting too.

hdc: packet command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }hdc: packet command error: error=0x54ATAPI device hdc:  Error: Illegal request -- (Sense key=0x05)  Invalid field in command packet -- (asc=0x24, ascq=0x00)  The failed "Start/Stop Unit" packet command was:   "1b 00 00 00 03 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 "cdrom: open failed..... sound and eth0 ....SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00.... more on eth0 .....hdc: packet command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }hdc: packet command error: error=0x54ATAPI device hdc:  Error: Illegal request -- (Sense key=0x05)  Invalid field in command packet -- (asc=0x24, ascq=0x00)  The failed "Start/Stop Unit" packet command was:   "1b 00 00 00 03 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 "cdrom: open failed.hdc: packet command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }hdc: packet command error: error=0x54ATAPI device hdc:  Error: Illegal request -- (Sense key=0x05)  Invalid field in command packet -- (asc=0x24, ascq=0x00)  The failed "Start/Stop Unit" packet command was:   "1b 00 00 00 03 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 "cdrom: open failed.

Well, I'll just add my hat to this one rather than start a new thread. RedHat 9. I just had to try it so I put my laptop burner into caddy for the Thinkpad. ;) Bootloader: Grub"cdrecord --scanbus" does not detect any drives.Can't tell where or if hdc=SCSI-IDE will show up.I noticed a few errors while booting too.
hdc: packet command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }hdc: packet command error: error=0x54ATAPI device hdc:  Error: Illegal request -- (Sense key=0x05)  Invalid field in command packet -- (asc=0x24, ascq=0x00)  The failed "Start/Stop Unit" packet command was:   "1b 00 00 00 03 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 "cdrom: open failed..... sound and eth0 ....SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00.... more on eth0 .....hdc: packet command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }hdc: packet command error: error=0x54ATAPI device hdc:  Error: Illegal request -- (Sense key=0x05)  Invalid field in command packet -- (asc=0x24, ascq=0x00)  The failed "Start/Stop Unit" packet command was:   "1b 00 00 00 03 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 "cdrom: open failed.hdc: packet command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }hdc: packet command error: error=0x54ATAPI device hdc:  Error: Illegal request -- (Sense key=0x05)  Invalid field in command packet -- (asc=0x24, ascq=0x00)  The failed "Start/Stop Unit" packet command was:   "1b 00 00 00 03 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 "cdrom: open failed.

Yikes! Those error messages look pretty scary. The hdc=ide-scsi line appears in your /etc/lilo.conf file or your /boot/grub/menu.lst file on the kernel line. I don't remember what Red Hat uses. I'm guessing that you had a regular CD drive in there before you put the burner in, pc-tecky?

Somehow I think that it does not understand that you are swapping out hardware. Do you not get a message at the beginning indicating that your hardware is different and asking if you want to change your setup? Bypassing a message like that would cause your problems. . .

Do you not get a message at the beginning indicating that your hardware is different and asking if you want to change your setup? Bypassing a message like that would cause your problems. . .
Yep in this case a simple re-install would be the easiest option out.;) Bruno

No wonder Linus hates scsi emulation and calls it a "ugly patch".By the way it should be resolved in 2.6.0 kernel and noone should have to use scsi emulation for burning anymore.If you use X-CD Roast, you don't need scsi emulation as that is the only burning app on Linux that does not use scsi but regular ide drivers. ( I am talking about 2.4.x kernels).

Had this problem earlier when swapping out my CDROM with CdWriter Bruno and Owyn helped me with that nightmare.Now when I install Mandrake 9.2 use CdWriter so it configure scsi emulation after that when I swap out writer and put in CDROM detects it no probs and autoconfigures it. I can then swap them out at will with Mandrake 9.2 detecting and configuring them correctly.Doesn't seem to work the other way around though when I do install with CDROM and then swap out for CdWriter stress!!My CdWriter issueI guess you learn as you go.

I read all of this thread. Can any one help besides re-install? I run SuSE 8.0 will all the latest security patches.appending to lilo.conf helped, but there is still nothing in ls /mnthdc is my cdrom, from dmesgKernel command line: auto BOOT_IMAGE=linux ro root=303 devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi apm=off acpi=forceide_setup: hdc=ide-scsi...hdc: COMBO-52X16, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive...SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno = 2kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno = 2...hdc: driver not presentparide: version 1.06 installed (parport)pg: pg version 1.02, major 97pg0: Autoprobe failedpg: No ATAPI device detectedI don't have the cd mounted by default.when I mount I get the following:mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block deviceWhen I do# hwinfo --cdrom12: IDE 02.0: 10602 CD-ROM [Created at ide.122] Unique ID: hY5p.Spr_NSZwx_3 Hardware Class: cdrom Model: "COMBO-52X16" Device: "COMBO-52X16" Revision: "VER 1.83" Serial ID: "" Driver: "(none)" Device File: /dev/hdc Drive status: no medium Attached to: #4 (IDE interface)What is the proper fstab entry? cdrom or sr0 ?Thanks for any help.

Hi CondicFirst of all welcome to the forum !SuSE does not mount the cdrom and floppy in /mnt, but in /media . . . have a look and you will see /media/cdrom ( or in case of a burner /media/cdrecorder ) Only SuSE does it like this.To mount is manually you would:$ su< password ># mount /dev/cdrecorder /media/cdrecorderThe entries in my /etc/fstab ( SuSE ) are:

/dev/cdrecorder      /media/cdrecorder    auto       ro,noauto,user,exec   0 0

Or for a simple CD-ROM:

/dev/cdrom      /media/cdrom    auto       ro,noauto,user,exec   0 0

Hope this helpsB) Bruno

I deleted the hardware unique keys for cdroms (I must have changed drives three times).These are located in SuSE 8.0 at: cd /var/lib/hardware/That by itself and a reboot did not solve the problem.There is a Suse Article, which I followed to add additional switches to lilo (the append to the boot did not work)Here is the link: http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2001/06/tbra...de_brenner.htmlThis actually recongnized the scsi drive from dmesg:SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno = 2kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno = 2...hdc: no flushcache supportscsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices Vendor: Model: COMBO-52X16 Rev: 1.83 Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 40x/40x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda trayUniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12But there are no entries in the fstab except the old cdrom and I can no longer mount:cat fstab/dev/hda3 / ext2 defaults 1 2/dev/hda1 /boot ext2 defaults 1 2devpts /dev/pts devpts defaults 0 0/dev/hdb2 /home ext2 defaults 1 2/dev/cdrom /media/cdrom auto ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0/dev/fd0 /media/floppy auto noauto,user,sync 0 0usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs noauto 0 0proc /proc proc defaults 0 0/dev/hdb1 /tmp2 ext2 defaults 1 2/dev/hda2 swap swap pri=42 0 0cdrecord now finds the scsii device:cdrecord -scanbusCdrecord 1.11a28 (i686-suse-linux) Copyright © 1995-2002 Jörg SchillingLinux sg driver version: 3.1.24Using libscg version 'schily-0.6'scsibus0: 0,0,0 0) ' ' 'COMBO-52X16 ' '1.83' Removable CD-ROM 0,1,0 1) * 0,2,0 2) *The article had me do the following link:ln -sf /dev/scd0 /dev/cdrecorderBut should that have been sr0? How do I mount sr0 since there are no entries in the fstab?I am doing all of this from the command prompt, and I am really trying to understand as I go,but I have to admit that it is getting more and more unclear.This had no effect in /etc/sysconfig/kernel#INITRD_MODULES="ide-cd ide-scsi "This also had no effect:and doing a search for scsi in /etc yielded:./modules.conf:alias scsi_hostadapter off./sysconfig/kernel:INITRD_MODULES="ide-cd ide-scsi "./lilo.conf:append = "hdc=ide-scsi"./lilo.conf: append = "devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi apm=off acpi=force"./hwinfo.txt: <3>request_module[scsi_hostadapter]: Root fs not mounted./hwinfo.txt: Using /lib/modules/2.4.18-4GB/kernel/drivers/scsi/imm.o./hwinfo.txt: /lib/modules/2.4.18-4GB/kernel/drivers/scsi/imm.o: init_module: No such device./hwinfo.txt: Using /lib/modules/2.4.18-4GB/kernel/drivers/scsi/ppa.o./hwinfo.txt: /lib/modules/2.4.18-4GB/kernel/drivers/scsi/ppa.o: init_module: No such device./hwinfo.txt:>> scsi.1: read infoSo I guess I still need to know how to mount the drive to read from it?And then see what conflicting switches I have on boot-up.from /dev:lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Jan 3 15:24 cdrom -> /dev/scd1brw-rw-r-- 1 root disk 22, 0 Mar 23 2002 hdcbrw-rw---- 1 root disk 22, 1 Mar 23 2002 hdc1drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Jan 3 09:12 ptsbrw-r----- 1 root disk 11, 0 Mar 23 2002 scd0brw-r----- 1 root disk 11, 1 Mar 23 2002 scd1drwxrwxrwt 2 root root 0 Jan 3 09:12 shmbrw-r----- 1 root disk 11, 0 Mar 23 2002 sr0brw-r----- 1 root disk 11, 1 Mar 23 2002 sr1Thank you for your help with mounting. I hope including this other information will help others.If I isolate what did nothing, I will update this post.

Look at my last post, I don't know why the linkcdrom -> /dev/scd1What about my link to sr0 ?Is it important what directory you are in when you issue the ln -sf command?

CondicWelcome to All Things Linux.Since reading back over this it indicates that a driver was not found for your drive and a combination DVD/CD is a fairly recent invention, is it possible that your older version of SuSe (8.0 right?) does not support combination drives?I know I had no problems with Mandrake 9.2 and a combination DVD/CD-RW drive but I am not sure I would want to try that in an older distribution. I could be way off base but that looks like one possibility. Any SuSe experts out there?

Re-installing Linux... now that does sound complicated. ;) I just noticed something of my own doing. I created an icon to mount the 2nd HDD, but before I could set the icon, I had to edit the fstab to get the proper mounting or otherwise I had /swap or /dev/cdrom neither of which was what I wanted. So perhaps my system was giving errors from my own good doing. :lol: The fstab has now been restored to it's prior state and with no errors either. :DNow, with having Grub and not lilo, how can I check or set the append hdc=scsi-ide for the burner?

It looks like linux finally is recognizing the device as /dev/sr0 (see above) but my fstab has not changed.and from my fstab:

/dev/hda3       /       ext2    defaults 1 2/dev/hda1       /boot   ext2    defaults 1 2devpts  /dev/pts        devpts  defaults 0 0/dev/hdb2       /home   ext2    defaults 1 2/dev/cdrom      /media/cdrom    auto    ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0/dev/fd0        /media/floppy   auto    noauto,user,sync 0 0usbdevfs        /proc/bus/usb   usbdevfs        noauto 0 0proc    /proc   proc    defaults 0 0/dev/hdb1       /tmp2   ext2    defaults 1 2/dev/hda2       swap    swap    pri=42 0 0

There is no /dev/cdrecorder or sr0.So my question remains, how do I actually now mount the device?What device do I mount? (I have tried them all without success)and is my link to /dev/scd1 incorrect and do I just remove the link?

You may have to end up changing or adding /dev/sr0 in place of /dev/cdrom in the fstab. If you want to be abolutely sure, then wait for the second opinion.But for the time being you can use this manual method:1. cd /mnt #folder for mounting floppies, CDs, etc. into the file system tree2. mkdir burner #burner seems appropriate in this case, but name it as you please3. mount /dev/sr0 /mnt/burner #any readable cd in the burner can now be viewed4. umount /mnt/burner #only required when done with the cdThe floppy is not always attached to my laptop, so this is what I have to go through to get the floppy going. Of course the above is adapted to you with the specs that you gave.Good luck. :lol:

SuSE seems to put the floppy and cdrom into media:

linux202:/media # dir /mediadrwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 May  3  2003 cdromdrwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 May  3  2003 floppycd /ls -Aldrwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 May  3  2003 .qt-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        19553 Aug  1  2002 .xftcachedrwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Dec  7 16:04 bindrwxr-xr-x    3 root     root         1024 Jan  3 15:08 bootlrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           12 Aug  1  2002 cdrom -> /media/cdromdrwxr-xr-x   27 root     root        49152 Jan  3 18:47 devdrwxr-xr-x   48 root     root         8192 Jan  3 16:42 etclrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           13 Aug  1  2002 floppy -> /media/floppy....[code]So do I use /mnt or /media?Thank you for your response.  I am trying to learn this.

:lol: RedHat user here. Adapt further as needed. Uhm, in your case, I would guess it'd be /media and not /mnt. Sorry about that. But either would work given that the structure exists. It's the concept that matters. Uh, right? ;) ;) :o

I get this error message with your commands:

#cd /media/# mkdir burner# mount /dev/sr0 /media/burner/dev/sr0: Input/output errormount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only/dev/sr0: Input/output errormount: you must specify the filesystem type# mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /media/burnermount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-onlymount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sr0,       or too many mounted file systems

What am I doing wrong?