ATI Radeon X1200 Drivers for Linux?

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, I finally managed to get wireless going in Slackware, so I thought I'd do something to improve the 180FPS frame rate that I was getting on the display on that machine. What to do? Possibly install drivers from the manufacturer. Works with Nvidia, right? Well, ATI and Linux are a whole 'nother world compared to Nvidia and Linux, so this should be interesting (read as extremely frustrating). Oh boy! The search begins...Oh, here's an lshw output for my video hardware on the lappy:

id: displaydescription: VGA compatible controllerproduct: RS690M [Radeon X1200 Series]vendor: ATI Technologies Incphysical id: 5bus info: pci@0000:01:05.0version: 00width: 64 bitsclock: 33MHzcapabilities: pm msi vga_controller bus_master cap_listconfiguration: latency = 64resources: memory : e0000000-efffffff(prefetchable)memory : fe9f0000-fe9fffffioport : ee00(size=256)memory : fea00000-feafffff

V.T. Eric Layton

Don't look like it's going to be a happening thing...http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/linu...mp;lang=EnglishNo drivers for newer Linux systems. That one there on that page requires XFree86 to be installed. Sheeesh! Talk about legacy. :(Oh well. I've been very surprised that AMD hasn't really developed their ATI brand and supported it better (as Nvidia does) for Linux folks. I'm kinda' disappointed in AMD for that. :thumbsup:

V.T. Eric Layton

Ooooh! That's very interesting, Josh. My first search was for a SlackBuild of the driver, but I didn't find anything. This link you posted has possibilities, though. Will check it out later tonight... Thanks! :thumbsup:

securitybreach
Ooooh! That's very interesting, Josh. My first search was for a SlackBuild of the driver, but I didn't find anything. This link you posted has possibilities, though. Will check it out later tonight... Thanks! :wacko:
No problem :thumbsup:

"Bestest" has several definitions here. If the monitor is running and you can read and do everything perfectly well, isn't Vesa 6-0 better than a Radeon driver you have to sweat blood to install?Ooops, there I go again - trying to apply logic to an inherently illogical situation! :thumbsup:

Installing the "radeon" driver – since it is open sauce and "default", really... funny that this one dafaults to VESA – requires no blood/sweat/tears. "Catalyst," on the other hand... :thumbsup:

V.T. Eric Layton

There's always interesting stuff at Phoronix.And yes, I would (and have) give blood, sweat, and tears to improve graphics quality on my systems. Why have the hardware if you're not going to install the software to use it to its fullest potential. Ya' gotta' stop thinking like an MS Windows zombie, Paul. :wacko: Linux is all about more efficient utilization of... well, everything. :thumbsup:

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, the step-by-step in Josh's link above does NOT work in Slackware 13.1. The build creates an error. I read on LQ.org that the newest ATI drivers will not compile in Slack 13.1. *sigh* I knew this wasn't going to be easy.

And yes, I would (and have) give blood, sweat, and tears to improve graphics quality on my systems. Why have the hardware if you're not going to install the software to use it to its fullest potential. Ya' gotta' stop thinking like an MS Windows zombie, Paul. ;) Linux is all about more efficient utilization of... well, everything. :D
Well that's cool, Eric. I'm not going to berate you for doing things your way. I was going to drag out the old soapbox :thumbup: , but it really doesn't matter. Each of us goes his own way, and we help one another if we can.

V.T. Eric Layton

Oh, no need for that ol' soapbox. I was just twisting your mustache ends, you know. I'm a firm believer in "the right way is the way that works best for you." We're all different and we all utilize computers for different reasons; which determines how we set them up and what we do with them. I like changing my desktop wallpaper and themes every two or three days. Most folks wouldn't bother. My brother, for example, has the same wallpaper on his Ubuntu set up that I installed for him two years ago. ;)Whatever you do, have FUN doing it! :)Later...

V.T. Eric Layton

Yeah... I know what you mean. I really enjoyed my first initial days with Ubuntu back in '06. I had a lot of fun learning it and learning other Linux stuff. Even now, I still really (even though I complain about it :thumbup: ) enjoy a good Linux challenge. It's fun to find the solutions to the things you're attempting to do/resolve.Oh, and I'm sitting in my recliner in my bedroom watching the World Series while I type this on my laptop. Look ma, no wires! :D

securitybreach
Oh, and I'm sitting in my recliner in my bedroom watching the World Series while I type this on my laptop. Look ma, no wires! :thumbup:
Nice!!! :D

V.T. Eric Layton

Yeah, buddy! That's what it was all about... getting the laptop going and all. Pssst... thanks again to you and Frank. :thumbup:

securitybreach
Yeah, buddy! That's what it was all about... getting the laptop going and all. Pssst... thanks again to you and Frank. ;)
Glad your enjoying it!!! :thumbup: :D

I've griped about ATI before so I feel your pain Eric.They stopped supporting cards like your's and mine in March of 2009.If they still supported our hardware then the directions given by the WIKI you tried probably would have worked.In Ubuntu the directions appear to work with no errors but the next boot reveals a broken X.The newest radeon drivers work great in Ubuntu and PCLinuxOS.Ubuntu has a PPA called xorg.edgers that supply the latest mesa drivers for Ubuntu.Maybe the slackware folks have something similar.BTW, your welcome.I know this is a linux forum but how is Win 7 on your new machine.

Edited by Frank Golden

securitybreach

Ughh, of course that lappy has to be one of the one's not supported anymore grrrrr, BTW Frank, how is the opensource implementation of driver? Does it work sufficient?I have not ever had an ati card myself so I do not have any experience with them.

V.T. Eric Layton

Win 7 seems to be pretty cool, Frank. However, I haven't really played with it much. That's a project for this weekend, I think. :)And yeah, now that you mention it... I remember your ATI Radeon horror stories. :( And really... the graphics are probably fine and dandy on this laptop for what I'll be using it for. I don't intend to be playing games or anything like that. Mostly, it'll be just what I've done tonight... sit in the recliner and surf. :thumbsdown:

securitybreach

V.T. Eric Layton

@ Josh... Yeah, I noticed that Arch had its feces altogether regarding Radeon drivers. I saw it on the Arch Wiki while searching for solutions for Slack.@ Urmas... Well, Slack (out-of-the-box) doesn't use xorg.conf. However, it can't hurt to try it, I s'pose.From Slack's Changes and Hints text:

Speaking of Xorg, the version of Xorg shipped with Slackware 13.1 will not (in most cases) require an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file at all. Configuration of input devices and such is handled by HAL, and the X server autoconfigures everything else. You can still create an xorg.conf file if you wish, or you can create a minimal xorg.conf with only the specific contents that you wish to override (as an example, to use a binary-only video driver). Due to removed drivers and other such changes, it's quite possible that your old xorg.conf will not work correctly with this version of Xorg.

Ughh, of course that lappy has to be one of the one's not supported anymore grrrrr, BTW Frank, how is the opensource implementation of driver? Does it work sufficient?I have not ever had an ati card myself so I do not have any experience with them.
The open source drivers have evolved to where they are quite good.There is a PPA project called xorg-edgers that is very active improving the mesa and I think radeon drivers.I have the PPA repos installed on both Lucid and Maverick Ubuntu.There are almost daily updates to mesa and as a "side benefit" the repos also show the most recent kernel updates.As an example of the kernel update thing, the "official" kernel for Maverick is 2.6.35-22, with the xorg-edger reposthe latest kernel is 2.6.36-1.The reason for this is that the project uses the very latest kernel to get the most out of mesa. I'm not a gamer so I don't know how the open source drivers perform with games but I can say that video playback is flawlessand Google Earth and Stellarium perform well.With the earlier open source drivers Google Earth and Stellarium would not even start.The first implementation of the open source drivers was with the Ubuntu Jaunty release in April 2009, the same time that ATi dropped support for "older" hardware like mine.These drivers have improved considerably since then.As a sidenote AMD\ATi released some of their source code in the fall of 2008, I'm guessing that is where some of the open source progress is coming from.https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgersBTW, although there is some risk using the edgers drivers and the latest kernel upgrades I haven't had any issues.But then again I always turn on the proposed and backports repos in any new Ubuntu install.I always have the latest updates. Edited by Frank Golden