Debian is the New Choice For Google’s In-house Linux

securitybreach

securitybreach

Brief: For years Google used Goobuntu, an in-house, Ubuntu-based operating system. Goobuntu is now being replaced by gLinux, which is based on Debian Testing.

If you have read Ubuntu facts, you probably already know that Google uses a Linux distribution called Goobuntu as the development platform. It is a custom Linux distribution based on…(easy to guess)… Ubuntu.

Goobuntu is basically a “light skin over standard Ubuntu“. It is based on the LTS releases of Ubuntu. If you think that Google contributes to the testing or development of Ubuntu, you are wrong. Google is simply a paying customer for Canonical’s Ubuntu Advantage Program. Canonical is the parent company behind Ubuntu.

After more than five years with Ubuntu, Google is replacing Goobuntu with gLinux, a Linux distribution based on Debian Testing release.

As MuyLinux reports, gLinux is being built from the source code of the packages and Google introduces its own changes to it. The changes will also be contributed to the upstream.

This ‘news’ is not really new. It was announced in Debconf’17 in August last year. Somehow the story did not get the attention it deserves.

Once Google opted Ubuntu LTS for stability. Now it is moving to Debian testing branch for timely testing the packages. But it is not clear why Google decided to switch to Debian from Ubuntu.

How does Google plan to move to Debian Testing? The current Debian Testing release is upcoming Debian 10 Buster. Google has developed an internal tool to migrate the existing systems from Ubuntu 14.04 LTS to Debian 10 Buster. Project leader Margarita claimed in the Debconf talk that tool was tested to be working fine.

Google also plans to send the changes to Debian Upstream and hence contributing to its development.

Back in 2012, Canonical had clarified that Google is not their largest business desktop customer. However, it is safe to say that Google was a big customer for them. As Google prepares to switch to Debian, this will surely result in revenue loss for Canonical.

What do you think?

Do keep in mind that Google doesn’t restrict its developers from using any operating system. However, use of Linux is encouraged.

If you are thinking that you can get your hands on either of Goobuntu or gLinux, you’ll have to get a job at Google. It is an internal project of Google and is not accessible to the general public.

Overall, it is a good news for Debian, especially if they get changes to upstream. Cannot say the same for Ubuntu though. I have contacted Canonical for a comment but have got no response so far.

What are your views on Google ditching Ubuntu for Debian?

https://itsfoss.com/...-glinux-google/

What with Ubuntu migrating its desktop back to GNOME 3 there wouldn't be a huge difference in how a typical Linux user would experience Debian or Ubuntu. Besides I think Google should have enough moxie to adapt any distro to their needs.

securitybreach

What with Ubuntu migrating its desktop back to GNOME 3 there wouldn't be a huge difference in how a typical Linux user would experience Debian or Ubuntu. Besides I think Google should have enough moxie to adapt any distro to their needs.

Well they do not use the default set up anyway. I tried out Goobuntu years ago.

I came here to post the same thing, but you folks are ON it!

Here is my link:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/google-moves-to-debian-for-in-house-linux-desktop/

This is HUGE, IMO. I also note that Google did NOT contribute upstream to Ubuntu, but WILL contribute upstream to Debian. Strange, but interesting. Article suggests that we cannot get our hands on GooUbuntu or gLinux...wondering how SB got his hands on that. You work for Google SB? Or just have more pull than the rest of us?

I'd really like to see Google's take on a slightly customized Debian rolling release. REALLY!

I have 3 favorites:

• For casual users, new users, Windows users - Linux Mint Cinnamon.
  • For my own personal use - Debian with GNOME 3.
  • For learning about Linux and for fun - Arch Linux.

If I were working in a job where Linux was the go to desktop, I'd be happy with any of the above or a customized version of any of the above.

• Like 1

securitybreach

I have 3 favorites:

• For casual users, new users, Windows users - Linux Mint Cinnamon.
  • For my own personal use - Debian with GNOME 3.
  • For learning about Linux and for fun - Arch Linux.

If I were working in a job where Linux was the go to desktop, I'd be happy with any of the above or a customized version of any of the above.

Nice :thumbsup:

All of my machines run Arch Linux except for my servers which run CentOS.

Guest LilBambi

All good choices for the specific uses. And it is so awesome that there are many distros with different focus.

Gives us all something we can personally love and still give distros for new users, moderate users, experienced users, advanced users and uber advanced users alike.

This is why as much as I love all operating systems, Linux is my joy.