Proper nVidia graphics drivers

LLfan

Aright, I did this once before my reinstall and it worked after a lot of help.Now, I need help again. B) I am using a nVidia Ti4400 graphics card and am using the generic driver that came with this install but I need a more updated driver.

Taken directly from the link you gave:

STEP 3: Check dependencies The dependencies are listed in the README. It is important to note that the NVIDIA driver set requires XFree version 4.0.1 or greater. If this is not available on your linux distribution, please go to the XFree86 web site
If I can skip this step that's fine with me, I just want to make sure I don't install this wrong or improperly. B)

If you installed it before and didn't have dependency issues you should be fine - it won't compile anyway if you are missing files and it will tell what it needs if any

Thanks guys, I went into bash and tried it and got this error: I am running an x-server.How do I disable this or turrn it off since I have no idea what it is. B)

Mike,If you are on a fresh install, it may be a good idea to upgrade the kernel to something a little more recent before installing the nVidia driver. Then, once you have installed the kernel, that version number will be clearly evident when you're searching for the nVidia driver. You have to select the driver according to your version of kernel. Don't let the enormity of the README file scare you off. It's usually not as complicated as all that. There is only one text file you need to make a few simple changes to. It's a good learning experience. I've done it twice, now and have even got YanC loaded this time. YanC is the GUI to modify the settings without editing the text files yourself. Just take your time and ask questions as needed. The nVidia driver covers all cards made in the last 4 years or so.

I tried doing it by CTRL+ALT+F2 and running the script from there: sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2.run but I got an error file not found.Is there a way to paste text into there to make sure I have it exact?

I tried doing it by CTRL+ALT+F2 and running the script from there: sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2.run but I got an error file not found.Is there a way to paste text into there to make sure I have it exact?
Anytime you can get back to KDE desktop by CTRL+Alt+F7, you are still running the X-server.Click on the K button on the lower left hand side of the screen and then select logout. If this reboots your machine, you need to change your boot settings to NOT automatically start the the x-server. You'll want to do this anyways when trying to get the nVidia driver installed.

No Mike,There is no way to copy and paste from one tty to another tty . . . . did you cd to the right directory first ?B) Bruno

Anytime you can get back to KDE desktop by CTRL+Alt+F7, you are still running the X-server.Click on the K button on the lower left hand side of the screen and then select logout. If this reboots your machine, you need to change your boot settings to NOT automatically start the the x-server. You'll want to do this anyways when trying to get the nVidia driver installed.
Alright, will have to change my boot settings as I have it automatically skip login and go into kde.

Alright. Apparently all went well, as the install said it completed and is now installed.Now I have a funny question...how in the world do I get my x server running again! lol, I want my KDE back! :) Tried typing in konqueror or another program command name I knew but no go. it did tell me i have new mail though. B)

Alright.  Apparently all went well, as the install said it completed and is now installed.Now I have a funny question...how in the world do I get my x server running again! lol, I want my KDE back!  :D  Tried typing in konqueror or another program command name I knew but no go.  it did tell me i have new mail though.  :D
Don't type startx until you change the Xfree file as specified in the instructions. You need to change 'nv' to 'nvidia' and make the other modifications. Otherwise you'll see the same thing you saw before. You'll know when you succeeded when you get the white nVidia splash screen.

How do I go about doing that? I found the sample file in here: /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0But where is the actual sf86Config file? and how do I change that entry within the shell?

As I read through and double check the file, I notice there is already an entry: Load "glx" # 3D layer but it is not under the dbe it looks like:Section "Module" Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension Load "v4l" # Video for Linux Load "extmod" Load "type1" Load "freetype" Load "glx" # 3D layerIs it okay there or should I move it or what?

MikeIn "vi" you save the file with:EscZZorEsc:wq ( don´t forget the : ):D Bruno* Changing the file you have to be root

As I read through and double check the file, I notice there is already an entry: Load "glx" # 3D layer but it is not under the dbe it looks like:Section "Module"    Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension    Load "v4l" # Video for Linux    Load "extmod"    Load "type1"    Load "freetype"    Load "glx" # 3D layerIs it okay there or should I move it or what?
MikeI think that is okay . . . You can read the file, without the risk of making changes to it with:cat /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 ( i hope it is the -4 file you changed ):D Bruno

Sorry MikeThe howto says:Now, add in a line just after the Load "dbe" line. It should say this: Load "glx"I hope you use the right howto . . :D Bruno

Mike . . STOP !Repalce Load "glx" with:Load "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so"The place it is is okayB) Bruno