Installing Current Firefox In Slackware

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Using SwareT, I can install an older version of FF (3.0.4 as of today's date). However, I prefer to run the actual release version from Mozilla on my systems. In order to do this, I have to install from the downloaded package from Mozilla-Firefox's site. There are different ways to accomplish the installation using this package. Here's how I do it on my Slackware system:1) Decompress (extract) the downloaded Firefox package:

vtel57@ericsbane03:~$ tar -xvf firefox-<version>

2) Move the extracted directory to /usr/lib (as root):

root@ericsbane03:# mv firefox-<version> /usr/lib

3) Navigate to /usr/lib and remove any older FF directories:

root@ericsbane03:# cd /usr/libroot@ericsbane03:# rm -R firefox-<old version>

4) Navigate to /usr/bin and recreate symlink to the firefox shell script in the /usr/lib/firefox- directory:

root@ericsbane03:# rm firefox (this removes the older dead symlink)root@ericsbane03:# ln -s /usr/lib/firefox-<version>/firefox (this creates the new symlink)

That's it. I already had a menu item and panel shortcut set to FF, so they will still work. I can also start FF just by typing "firefox" into the command line.*NOTE: If you had previously used my useragent hack to change your useragent manually, you'll need to edit that manually to reflect the change in FF version. It won't do it automatically.As stated, there are many different ways to do what I've done here. You could install in a different directory, /home/ for example. You can also accomplish all of this graphically, should you prefer GUI methods to the command line interface. I just present one option here. That's one of the cool things about GNU/Linux... you have options. :w00t:Enjoy! :rolleyes: