Kindle Fire HD Recommendations

amenditman

I just received a Kindle Fire HD 8.9" and am looking for your suggestions as to what I should do to modify it (from stock) for daily use.

Root

Add Gapps

What else?

Hello,

A hard case and a matte screen protector, perhaps?

The largest, fastest MicroSD card you can find for it (assuming it has a Micro SD card slot)

A USB OTG cable for connecting "normal" USB peripherals.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I'd use it as Amazon intended first, then decide if you want to make drastic changes.

I do not belong to Amazon Prime yet still kept the device alone, aside from adding apps.

The browsing tool in Sylk to read web pages is quite useful to me.

That's what I am thinking.

Amazon has crippled this with the software they have on it.

Really? What is it that you want to do that you can not because of the Kindle software?

A lot of apps on Google Play Store I want to try out are not available in the Amazon AppStore.

Mostly games for my son.

I have rooted it and installed Gapps, but it doesn't work very well. Lots of crashes.

A lot of apps on Google Play Store I want to try out are not available in the Amazon AppStore.

Mostly games for my son.

I have rooted it and installed Gapps, but it doesn't work very well. Lots of crashes.

So you have a account for the play store. Re-load the Kindle software then sideload the apps for the games.

So you have a account for the play store. Re-load the Kindle software then sideload the apps for the games.

I have sideloaded stuff before, bootloaders, recovery images, ROMs. But how do you get the .apk files for the games at the Play Store?

securitybreach

I have sideloaded stuff before, bootloaders, recovery images, ROMs. But how do you get the .apk files for the games at the Play Store?

I could tell you but its illegal to discuss pirated software here ;)

Now if you had the app installed on a device, you could check the /data/app directory or use an app to backup the apk. Then transfer it to the Kindle and sideload it.

There isn't an option to dl the app at 'Play' anymore? If not, try using the Sylk browser and sign in to your 'Play' account and see if a dl option shows up.

There are no download options at either the Amazon AppStore or the Google Play Store.

You can install the game thru their Install button or not.

As securitybreach says, I would have to get apk's from some other source. Not what I want to be doing!

securitybreach

Well if you have the app on another device you can simply back it up with TitaniumBackup or similar. Then just copy the apk to your Kindle and sideload it.

Guest LilBambi

Many things from Google Play are not available in the Kindle Fire. Many have complained about that.

Foolish move on Amazon's part I think.

Having said that, it would depend on what you want to do with it that would determine which way to go.

For many others, who just want to surf, check email, read books (Kindle App), listen to books (Audible app), watch video on demand via Prime if subscribed, play the games available at Amazon, etc, it may well be quite fine as it stands.

The decision to have the Amazon App Store is the right one for Amazon, since they are making very very little on the hardware. They have to monetize the Kindle Fire devices somehow.....

Now, I don't think selling hardware at cost is a smart move for any manufacturer. Things like post sales support get pushed off to the side too easily, because there is simply not much money for it.

Adam

Self-education is always important... everyone needs to research their purchases in advance.

I remember poring over computer magazines when getting ready to build a new machine.

Adam

Many things from Google Play are not available in the Kindle Fire. Many have complained about that.

Foolish move on Amazon's part I think.

Having said that, it would depend on what you want to do with it that would determine which way to go.

For many others, who just want to surf, check email, read books (Kindle App), listen to books (Audible app), watch video on demand via Prime if subscribed, play the games available at Amazon, etc, it may well be quite fine as it stands.

not having the 'Play' store was a plus for me and many others. Keeps out tons of the garbage. I'm not a Prime member but the Kindle is the only Android device i considered and i'm pretty happy with my purchase. Especially after they added the 'easy reader' for web sites.