SAMBA Fails after updates

ichase

Trying to google something but not sure what it is I need to google. SAMBA has been working great, no issues. A short time ago I ran updates on the server. Re-booted due to a kernel update. I was able to SSH into the server no issues.

But when I try mounting the share via cifs like I always do I get the following

[root@archbox ichase]# mount -t cifs //192.168.X.XX/storage /mnt -o username=ian
Password for ian@//192.168.X.XX/storage:
Unable to find suitable address. 

So I went into Webmin and notice SAMBA was not running. When I click on Start SAMBA Server I get an error:

Failed to start Samba servers : /etc/rc.d/samba start failed

So I tried using systemctl to enable it,

[root@homeserver pkg]# systemctl enable samba.service
Failed to issue method call: No such file or directory 

I then checked status and received the following:

[root@homeserver pkg]# systemctl status samba
samba.service
Loaded: error (Reason: No such file or directory)
Active: inactive (dead)

Feb 02 18:59:27 homeserver smbd[344]: [2013/02/02 18:59:27.980007, 0] smbd/password.c:731(authorise_login)
Feb 02 18:59:27 homeserver smbd[344]: authorise_login: rejected invalid user nobody
Feb 02 19:14:28 homeserver smbd[356]: [2013/02/02 19:14:28.970109, 0] smbd/password.c:731(authorise_login)
Feb 02 19:14:28 homeserver smbd[356]: authorise_login: rejected invalid user nobody
Feb 02 19:14:28 homeserver smbd[356]: [2013/02/02 19:14:28.978471, 0] smbd/password.c:731(authorise_login)
Feb 02 19:14:28 homeserver smbd[356]: authorise_login: rejected invalid user nobody
Feb 02 19:14:29 homeserver smbd[356]: [2013/02/02 19:14:29.045987, 0] smbd/password.c:731(authorise_login)
Feb 02 19:14:29 homeserver smbd[356]: authorise_login: rejected invalid user nobody
Feb 02 19:14:29 homeserver smbd[356]: [2013/02/02 19:14:29.053524, 0] smbd/password.c:731(authorise_login)
Feb 02 19:14:29 homeserver smbd[356]: authorise_login: rejected invalid user nobody
Feb 02 22:35:56 homeserver systemd[1]: samba.service: control process exited, code=exited status=203
Feb 02 22:35:56 homeserver systemd[1]: Stopped LEGACY unit for "samba" rc script.
Feb 02 22:35:56 homeserver systemd[1]: Unit samba.service entered failed state

Windows no longer even sees Homeserver either.

Not sure what package upload caused the issue. I believe smbclient was updated so I tried downgrading to the last package with no evail.

Also, I did reboot the server twice thinking something got stuck. Yes, I can re-image the server and get everything back up and running but I would rather know what the issue is and why it happened and how to fix it.

Thanks,

Ian

Edit: Just wanted to add more info. I was able to enable nmbd.service via systemctl which showed samba as started in webmin, still unable to mount the storage on the server with the same error and still don't see it via Windows.

Clicking on restart SAMBA via webmin resulted in the same error as above.

I was looking at this thread but it did not help much: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=147896

Edited by ichase

securitybreach

Well I am not really for sure about your issues but I do know that samba wouldn't be in /etc/rc.d/ anymore as Arch now uses systemd instead of rc scripts.

Your systemctl errors appear as you are trying to login as user nobody:

authorise_login: rejected invalid user nobody

securitybreach

Also, your clients are not the issue as the server is not running:

[root@homeserver pkg]# systemctl enable samba.service

Failed to issue method call: No such file or directory

Well the issue appears to be caused by a daemon. In reference to what you mentioned about "nobody" that's a daemon

Memory resident services or daemons, however, often run under different usernames. They may have a user created specifically for them, and, if they do not, they will run under a user called “nobody”.

I have tried a few command line options hoping to get this narrowed down:

[root@homeserver /]# smbclient -L smbserver
WARNING: The security=share option is deprecated
Enter ichase's password:
Connection to smbserver failed (Error NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME)
[root@homeserver /]# cat /var/log/samba/smbd.log
[root@homeserver /]# findsmb

*=DMB
						    +=LMB
IP ADDR		 NETBIOS NAME	 WORKGROUP/OS/VERSION
---------------------------------------------------------------------
[root@homeserver /]#  net -l share -S 192.168.0.XX
Enter ichase's password:
Could not connect to server 192.168.0.XX
Connection failed: NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_REFUSED 

I am seeing bad network name, but nothing has changed in smb.conf

Still doing a lot of reading and searching. Bad thing is, all of my wife's files for her new business she is starting reside on the SERVER where I thought they would be safe (which they are, but just not accesable via the network)

Bonehead me had not ran updates on the server for about 2 weeks, so there were lots of updates. Trying to narrow down which one has been futile. :lol:

Ok, I re-imaged the server from 1/13/2013 (last image created) Of course everything works just peachy now. Needed to do this so wife could access her files that reside on the server.

So I performed pacman -Syu to look at all the packages that were being updated. I noticed samba and smbclient were showing as packages that were being updated. So I went into pacman.conf and ignored the package update for samba and smbclient to version 3.6.12-1. I then performed updates. Alll is well. SOOOO, that tells me that the update to either samba or smbclient was the issue. Now to find out if I can find anything about anyone else having this issue after upgrading to 3.6.12-1.

• Like 1

I know, but samba had 2 reasons for being installed. 1 caused the other. SAMBA is used a lot in mainstream networks. So I wanted to learn SAMBA, the 2nd is by learning SAMBA I had to install and configure for the home server. Which has been working wonderfully until last night when I upgraded samba and smbclient. :thumbsup:

securitybreach

Which has been working wonderfully until last night when I upgraded samba and smbclient. :thumbsup:

The client has nothing to do with the server (smbclient).

Check to see if there is an /etc/samba/smb.conf.pacnew file and if so, check the differences between your smb.conf and the smb.conf.pacnew.

Well nevermind as you reverted already.

Well plan on checking to see if init or systemd is running SAMBA, I am thinking it's init considering when I tried starting SAMBA via WEBMIN it was looking at /etc/rc.d/samba? Hopefully can mess around with it today and see if I can get everything straight. Noticed even now (after re-imaging and performing updates SANS samba and smbclient) that crownie is failing as well, another issue for another time ;)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...