Short annoyance

Stonegiant

Every time I reboot, my My Computer, My Documents, My Network Places and Recycle Bin icons return to windows default. Using Win XP Pro fully updated. I use a theme that changes all 4 of those icons. I've tried using that theme and I've tried using a different one. It does this with any theme I am using.

Have you tried deleting the ShelliconCache file? This file is recreated each time Windows is restarted. Another option would be to go to Control Panel (or right click desktop, select Properties), then select:

DisplayAppearanceItem Box: ICONIncrease size by one unit and ApplyDecrease size by one unit and Apply

Well, I couldn't find the 'ShellIconCache' file, but I found the iconcache file. I deleted it and rebooted and I had the same problem.I tried increasing the icon size by 1 unit, apply, ok, restart. Had to reapply my theme to get my icons back to the theme icons.I decreased the icon sizes back to original, apply, ok, restart. Again, had to reapply the theme settings.I have noticed on the many recent reboots that the theme icons are correct up until windows has loaded everything completely and has become idle. That's when the icons revert to windows default.

Hmmmm....After several more restarts (~10), the behavior of the desktop icons seems to be erratic. Some restarts after no changes are made, the icons revert. Sometimes they do not. The same holds true for behavior after changes are made. I am unable to determine a pattern in the reversions... B)

Guest LilBambi

I wonder if there is a setting with your theme that Windows thinks is wrong and upon boot uses the default scheme for all users?Only thinking aloud here.Searching ...

Guest ThunderRiver

Can you explain what do you mean by "themes that change icons for me?"I have never never come across a Windows theme that actually changes icons for you?I assumed you already had uxtheme.dll patched.Anyway, please right click on the desktop, and choose Properties => Desktop tab => Click "Customize Desktop" button at the bottom of the window, try to make necessary changes there. After you are done, go to Start => Run => type in 'cmd' and Command Prompt should show up and following my following commandsMicrosoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]© Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.C:\>cd WINDOWS\PrefetchC:\WINDOWS\Prefetch>del *.*C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\*.*, Are you sure (Y/N)? Y (and then press enter)and then Reboot!Let me know if Xp still forgets icons.

Can you explain what do you mean by "themes that change icons for me?"I have never never come across a Windows theme that actually changes icons for you?
Hmmm... I've been using themes to change desktop icons, wallpaper, screensaver, window colors and settings, etc since Win95. Have you never seen these??? :thumbsup: :rolleyes: :wacko:
I assumed you already had uxtheme.dll patched.
No clue what you are talking about here.
Anyway, please right click on the desktop, and choose Properties => Desktop tab => Click "Customize Desktop" button at the bottom of the window, try to make necessary changes there. After you are done, go to Start => Run => type in 'cmd' and Command Prompt should show up and following my following commandsMicrosoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]© Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.C:\>cd WINDOWS\PrefetchC:\WINDOWS\Prefetch>del *.*C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\*.*, Are you sure (Y/N)? Y (and then press enter)and then Reboot!
Did this and it remembered the correct icons.... on the first reboot. It did NOT remember them on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th subsequent reboots. I didn't delete the contents of the windows\prefetch folder on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th reboots. I did, however return the icon setting back to my theme icons prior to each reboot. I never had to do that with 95 or 98, so why should I have to do that with XP?
Let me know if Xp still forgets icons.
Consider notice given :D

Guest ThunderRiver
Can you explain what do you mean by "themes that change icons for me?"I have never never come across a Windows theme that actually changes icons for you?
Hmmm... I've been using themes to change desktop icons, wallpaper, screensaver, window colors and settings, etc since Win95. Have you never seen these??? :thumbsup: :rolleyes: :wacko:
I assumed you already had uxtheme.dll patched.
No clue what you are talking about here.
Anyway, please right click on the desktop, and choose Properties => Desktop tab => Click "Customize Desktop" button at the bottom of the window, try to make necessary changes there. After you are done, go to Start => Run => type in 'cmd' and Command Prompt should show up and following my following commandsMicrosoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]© Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.C:\>cd WINDOWS\PrefetchC:\WINDOWS\Prefetch>del *.*C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\*.*, Are you sure (Y/N)? Y (and then press enter)and then Reboot!
Did this and it remembered the correct icons.... on the first reboot. It did NOT remember them on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th subsequent reboots. I didn't delete the contents of the windows\prefetch folder on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th reboots. I did, however return the icon setting back to my theme icons prior to each reboot. I never had to do that with 95 or 98, so why should I have to do that with XP?
Let me know if Xp still forgets icons.
Consider notice given :D
Yeah I have seen themes that change icons and everything in Windows 95 Plus and Windows 98 SE, but not one for Windows XP Home/Professional. Perhaps you should show me some examples of themes that actually change icons for you.On the other hand, you must patch uxtheme.dll or use StyleXp in order to install customized theme. However, if you are using themes from Windows Xp Plus, that's another story.You know what I think? I just realized that when you say themes change icons for you, it means that it is not doing any changes to your registry for icon changes. In fact, it basically kills your default shell32.dll and replace it with a customized one. Now, ever since Windows 2000, Windows comes with "Windows File Protection" system, which basically will replace any non-Microsoft system files with its own. So eh everytime you reboot, a fresh copy of the original shell32.dll overwrites your customized shell32.dll. There is way to get around it, but you should show me the theme that actually changes icons for you. So I can confirm my theoryAre you running Windows XP with Sp1 or without SP1?

This is the installer program that installs the theme. The first time I tried it was on Win98 and I had to download a program to install it. I didn't need it for XP as it already had it. Been too long ago to remember the program name. That program may have been the patch for uxtheme.dll or the StyleXP you are talking about. Those don't ring a bell however. These are the icons that the theme installs. They keep reverting to the windows default ones.I am running XP Pro SP1

Guest ThunderRiver

Okay, I checked out the files, and it seems to me that it doesn't use shell32.dll to replace the icons.Well, you know what? if theme stays, and only icons are gone. You should probably hack shell32.dll yourself, and replace those default Windows icons with the ones you have.Do you think that will work out for you? or you think that's too much work?