Linux Development Report

securitybreach

securitybreach

This is from February last year but amazing stats:

Key findings from this year’s paper include:

• Nearly 12,000 developers from more than 1,200 companies have contributed to the Linux kernel since tracking began 10 years ago. Just since the last report, more than 4,000 developers from 200 companies have contributed to the kernel, half of whom contributed for the first time.

• The Top 10 organizations sponsoring Linux kernel development since the last report include Intel, Red Hat, Linaro, Samsung, IBM, SUSE, Texas Instruments, Vision Engraving Systems, Google and Renesas. It’s worth noting that theFOSS Outreach Program for Women ranks #13 for contributions to the Linux kernel during this last cycle with the interns contributing 1.5 percent of the patches to Linux kernel 3.11. The complete top 20 contributing organizations can be seen in the full report.

• The rate of Linux development is unmatched; in fact, Linux kernel 3.15 was the busiest development cycle in the kernel’s history. This rate of change continues to increase, as does the number of developers and companies involved in the process. The average number of changes accepted into the kernel per hour is 7.71, which translates to 185 changes every day and nearly 1,300 per week. The average days of development per release decreased from 70 days to 66 days.

• The number of paid developers is on the rise, as companies aggressively recruit top Linux talent. More than 80 percent of kernel development is done by developers who are being paid for their work. Volunteer developers tend not to stay that way for long.........

http://www.linuxfoun...elopment-report

I followed the link and further to see if I could learn for free ,"How to build a firewall." I must say that for an open source community I ran into a lot of requests for registration and some for $?000. To learn ... . I wonder why my e-mail and IP address is not enough for them. After all one might surmise that with one click of the mouse button "all would be revealed " I love Linux and hold Linus in the highest esteem . But can't help wondering if there is a Gatesian element creeping into "Open Source"

securitybreach

Nope, that is the Linux foundation. They have always offered subscriptions/certifications and such but the money is put to great use.

The Linux Foundation (LF) is a non-profit technology trade association chartered to promote, protect and advance Linux and collaborative development. Founded in 2000 by the merger of the Open Source Development Labs (OSDL) and the Free Standards Group (FSG), the Linux Foundation sponsors the work of Linux creator Linus Torvalds and is supported by leading Linux and open source companies, including prominent technology corporations such as Fujitsu, HP, IBM, Intel, NEC, Oracle, Qualcomm and Samsung, and developers from around the world. In recent years, The Linux Foundation has expanded its services through events, training and certification and Collaborative Projects. Examples of Collaborative Projects at Linux Foundation include OpenDaylight, Open Platform for NFV (OPNFV), AllSeen Alliance, Cloud Foundry and Node.js Foundation.

The Linux Foundation promotes, protects, and standardizes Linux "by providing a comprehensive set of services to compete effectively with closed platforms."

https://en.wikipedia...inux_Foundation