Wild and Crazy Weekend

GolfProRM

GolfProRM

Well... I'm going to try to get this note typed up before I fall asleep... I just got back from Minneapolis, MN where I've been since Friday. Minneapolis is a 6-1/2 to 7 hour drive from Lincoln, NE. The reason we went is because my best friend's cousin was having a LAN Party (Gibs Galore XIII I believe he called it). Anyway, there were three of us that went, driving a Saturn sedan... Getting everything packed in the car was quite interesting :D We arrived at his cousin's house at about 2AM Saturday morning. Chatted for a bit and then went to bed. We got up the next morning, drove to the host's house and started our FragFest at about 9AM. We had about 14 people there for most of the day (a great sized group), and played nothing but UnrealTournament 2003 and Quake III for 16 hours!! :D We played Q3 the most, with alll sorts of different mods: Corkscrew, hunt, Kill the King, and Urban Terror... I think there were more, but don't remember off the top of my head. After going to bed at about 4AM this morning, we got up and went to the Mall of America at 11... Had to stop in the Wizards of the Coast store and buy some Magic the Gathering cards :D We walked around there for awhile and then drove the 7 hours home... Drove through a lot of rain and some hail, but made it home safely... I think after all that, I'm fragged out for a month or two! :D I don't think I'll ever die that many times in a 24 hour period again! Of course I doubt I've ever shot so many people before either!!! :D All in all, was a good time, but don't know that I have the energy to do that more than 1x-2x per year anymore!

havnblast

Way to go Ryan - sounds like fun, but ya forgot Tribes 2 :D I would love to do a LAN party myself and hey I am only 7 hours from Minneapolis MN too.

Guest genaldar

Who was throwing the party? I'm from Minneapolis and know a couple of people who throw big lan parties (my buddy Matt had over a hundred come to his last one, I think 40 or so was the most he had at one time though). btw did they let people choose the games? The last lan party I went to on campus the guys running it picked the games. Well I should say game. I got so tired of Battlefield 1942 with the desert combat mod that I had to leave. No one would heed the cries of ut2k3.Speaking of driving in 5 hours I'm heading back home from school here in Crookston with a friend to Minneapolis (4 to 5 hour drive) with some of my stuff. Unloading that stuff at my brother's house then turning around and coming back right away with my brother's truck. I'll get back around 10 tonight, then I have to do a little studying. On Tuesday morning I have to get up take a final, check out of my room, return my laptop, sell my books, pack up the truck, eat (if I have time) and take another final and then hit the road to go home. Then thankfully I have the rest of the week off, with camping next weekend before I have to start my summer job.

Prelude76

with the post of "wild and crazy weekend", i thought it would be Mardi Gras or Cancun or Ibiza party.LAN Party? :D honestly, its the first i ever heard of a thing like this. and honestly, i'm a closet geek so it does sound like fun and i'd love to shoot people out across LAN in Quake or Battlefield 1942. but it would be a big step for me. i'd have to keep this hidden from my friends and gf more than if i went to a swingers club :D

GolfProRM

It was pretty well set as to what we played... they didn't schedule it out, but we'd play one mod for awhile, and then changed... Like I said, we had about 14 people, so there wasn't too much argument... The setup: The guy who's house we were at had his whole basement setup specifically for LAN parties... He wired a bunch of net hookups into wall plates and had a giant hub... He even had a dedicated circuit for the power! :D We had 3 dedicated servers up and running (made it easy to switch games on the fly) and high speed internet access too! :D Tribes 2 would have been fun, but it's a harder game to learn... All of us there have played many FPS's, but a couple of them had never played Q3 (they're UT guys). They were able to pick up on Q3 pretty easily... I'd never played UT2k3 (other than the demo), so seeing some of the other features was cool...

Guest LilBambi

Sounds like great fun!Our son would be envious that you not only got to go to a LAN party but picked up more Magic, The Gathering cards while you were there! Out in AZ, they even do re enactments of differnt role playing games. He has a blast with it when he can find the time these days.

Prelude76

a real good LAN classic was Descent II. D***, i wanna play that game again just thinking about it :)hovering high up in a cave's ceiling, looking down, and pounce on them with heat seeking missiles. but if one was good enough to fly full afterburn thru narrow maze of tunnels, you can get away from any ambush.

GolfProRM
a real good LAN classic was Descent II.  D***, i wanna play that game again just thinking about it :)hovering high up in a cave's ceiling, looking down, and pounce on them with heat seeking missiles.  but if one was good enough to fly full afterburn thru narrow maze of tunnels, you can get away from any ambush.
Descent II rocked!!! Never could beat it single player though!!! It was impossible!!!!I would have to say that it was my favorite of the Descent series... although I still go back and play the original occasionally. Never could get into Freespace though... just wasn't as much fun. B)

Guest genaldar
It was pretty well set as to what we played...  they didn't schedule it out, but we'd play one mod for awhile, and then changed...  Like I said, we had about 14 people, so there wasn't too much argument...  The setup:  The guy who's house we were at had his whole basement setup specifically for LAN parties...  He wired a bunch of net hookups into wall plates and had a giant hub...  He even had a dedicated circuit for the power! :rolleyes:  We had 3 dedicated servers up and running (made it easy to switch games on the fly) and high speed internet access too! ;)  Tribes 2 would have been fun, but it's a harder game to learn...  All of us there have played many FPS's, but a couple of them had never played Q3 (they're UT guys).  They were able to pick up on Q3 pretty easily...  I'd never played UT2k3 (other than the demo), so seeing some of the other features was cool...
Was it right on the Minneapolis/Bloomington border? Little ranch style house? Across the street from a park? If you answered yes to all those questions then I think I might know the guy. If it is the guy I think it might be, he's having another one tomorrow, small one though like 10 people tops. I may go since camping was cancelled (got to watch the Wild in round 3 tomorrow night).

Was it right on the Minneapolis/Bloomington border?  Little ranch style house?  Across the street from a park?  If you answered yes to all those questions then I think I might know the guy.  If it is the guy I think it might be, he's having another one tomorrow, small one though like 10 people tops.  I may go since camping was cancelled (got to watch the Wild in round 3 tomorrow night).
Okay... don't know the Minneapolis area all that well... All I know is that it was south of actual Minneapolis, and west of I-35...It was a ranch-style house, but don't believe it was across from a park... These guys don't get together all that often 5-6 times a year, so I'd be surprised if he's hosting another one... The guy that hosts goes by General Bob, and the co-host goes by Maladon, but that's about as much help as I can give...

Guest genaldar

Don't know em then. It's probably in Bloomington alright, but its on the other side of 35w. Here I thought I knew everyone who threw lan parties in this town, guess I was wrong.