20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Computerworld

Computerworld

High Highlander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,924 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:57 PM

Reusability is a key to any plan to making human life interplanetary, according to the CEO of SpaceX, one of the companies tasked with ferrying cargo, and someday astronauts, to the International Space Station.

View the full article

#2 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,545 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:29 PM

Reusable is vital for sure.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#3 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,542 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:31 PM

i love spacex. as i recall, a single engineer got the company together. they design their own rockets & build them all here. some time back, i read up on them.
Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,545 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:36 PM

Yep, Elon Musk -- Two great companies! SpaceX and Tesla Motors!

I want one of the Tesla cars so badly!

Did you also know that he was co-founder of X.com which merged with Confinity which also operated a subsidiary called PayPal? Much more here.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#5 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,512 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:55 PM

View PostLilBambi, on 12 March 2014 - 07:36 PM, said:

Yep, Elon Musk -- Two great companies! SpaceX and Tesla Motors!

I want one of the Tesla cars so badly!

Did you also know that he was co-founder of X.com which merged with Confinity which also operated a subsidiary called PayPal? Much more here.

By ek it's just like living out a sci-fi novel form way back. :sorcerer:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   Webb

Webb

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:29 PM

The Soyuz TMA and Space Shuttle is/was reusable.

Nothing that has ever left low earth orbit has been reusable.

It seems to me to be a waste of resources to ferry something more than a half a million miles (to the moon and back) just to have some parts left over.

The Saturn V F1 (first stage) and J2 (second stage) engines were abandoned but could possibly have been recovered, as Apollo 11's recently were.  NASA apparently thought it wasn't worth the trouble to make them reusable and recoverable.
The 9000 series is the most reliable computer ever made. No 9000 computer has ever made a mistake or distorted information. We are all, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error. - HAL-9000

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it.  - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Posted Image
Jim

#7 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,542 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:23 PM

just guessing, but nasa probably knew (at the time) that there was no future in space.
Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,542 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:51 PM

although by the time you click this nasa link, no telling what will be on the page http://www.nasa.gov/...ructure/launch/
because it looks rather generic.

but the spacex / dragon resupply vessel is slated to fly april 14 or 18. - the dragon is cool, but one day spacex hopes to lob humans into the space station.
Posted Image

#9 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:58 PM

SpaceX is doing amazing stuff, but it is important to note that any tech they develop in their program will not be the property of the American people, unlike NASA's work over the years.

The company is for-profit, so they see a future in figuring out a way to lower costs, but it will not be a benefit to society at large.

Adam
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#10 OFFLINE   amenditman

amenditman

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:44 PM

View Postross549, on 19 April 2014 - 02:58 PM, said:

SpaceX is doing amazing stuff, but it is important to note that any tech they develop in their program will not be the property of the American people, unlike NASA's work over the years.

The company is for-profit, so they see a future in figuring out a way to lower costs, but it will not be a benefit to society at large.

Adam
That's the difference between publicly funded and privately funded. It should be that way to a very large degree. Although some industries take it to extremes.

Tweak it 'til it breaks, then learn how to fix it.

L.I.F.E. (Linux Is For Everyone)

Registered Linux User # 474004 (06/16/2008)

REGLUE

Recycled Electronics and Gnu/Linux Used for Education

Reglue, in a nutshell, gives free Linux computers to under privileged children and their families.

www.reglue.org

#11 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,542 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:38 PM

true, publicly funded with its massive cost over-runs vs a private company that must be lean to be competitive. but i guess the legendary $1000 toilet seat for the c-130 kept lots of folks employed back in the 80's. and indeed almost all modern telemetry that hospitals enjoy came directly from nasa, as is much else of good in our society.
Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:52 PM

Well, you certainly aren't going to go from barely launching into orbit to landing on the moon without spending a lot of money, with overruns.

I am thinking back to watching the mini-series "From the Earth to the Moon." They detail only some of the engineering challenges they went through in order to get the anstronauts back safely. It's almost miraculous.

Adam

#13 OFFLINE   Webb

Webb

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:22 PM

Want to have fun? Come over to my house. You stand in the back yard, I'll stand in the front, you throw a tennis ball over my roof and I'll try to hit it with a rock as it comes sailing over. That's what we're going to have to do...
The 9000 series is the most reliable computer ever made. No 9000 computer has ever made a mistake or distorted information. We are all, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error. - HAL-9000

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it.  - George Hanson, 1969

Posted Image
Jim

#14 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,542 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:45 PM

good analagy, webb.
saw the series, adam, and indeed for the time, it was a miracle.
Posted Image

#15 OFFLINE   Webb

Webb

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:04 PM

View PostTemmu, on 20 April 2014 - 09:45 PM, said:

good analagy, webb.
Credit where credit is due.  That's Chris Kraft in the first episode of From the Earth to the Moon.

Posted Image
Jim

#16 OFFLINE   Webb

Webb

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:18 PM

Can we do this?

Posted Image
Jim

#17 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:25 AM

View PostTemmu, on 20 April 2014 - 09:45 PM, said:

saw the series, adam, and indeed for the time, it was a miracle.

Indeed it was. I'm amazed we managed to do it back then.

#18 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,542 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:19 PM

yes, & i think that is why there are sooooo many conspiracy theorists who say it was not possible.
as i've said, my dad was a missile & manned space test engineer, and i never heard him make a disparaging remark about the moon program.
(however, when he was involved with the space shuttle in 1975, he said, gee, that thing is old!)
Posted Image

#19 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:18 PM

Yeah, I think my wristwatch was more powerful than the space shuttle computers......

Adam

#20 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,542 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:29 AM

lol, yeah! and 1975 was 6 years before it was launched!
Posted Image

#21 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,545 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:33 AM

Internet Help Desk (not the mp3 version I have but it's close) ... where they talk about the guy having a computer 10,000 times more powerful than what we used to send a man to the moon....

On my version it says I've been here for 8 months ... that's like 25 years in Internet time. ;)
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users