Oxygen for GTK 3 in Debian stretch... ?

Dr. J

Hi all...

I had the urge to mess around with KDE themes a bit today, and ended up using Oxygen. 'Tis a great theme, but I came into a curious conundrum trying to set it for GTK stuff. "gtk2-engines-oxygen" is in the repos for Stretch, but the gtk3 variant seems to exist for every release apart from Stretch...

The package from any other release wouldn't install properly (manual download and dpkg -i, also tried with gdebi) due to a missing dependency. I'm wondering if anyone with more experience with in things Debian knows if I can expect it to show up in Stretch at some point.

Regards,

Jay.

Don't know for sure, but it looks like Oxygen is not supported by GNOME 3.14 and newer. So if that is true I would not hold my breath waiting for it to show up in the future. The version in Sid is only for ARM architecture and it's an old one.

Edited by raymac46

Don't know for sure, but it looks like Oxygen is not supported by GNOME 3.14 and newer.

Ahh... I see. I guess it's an "old" theme at this stage and there isn't much interest in it anymore...

On the subject of themes did you try Numix? That will probably work in both desktops.

That's a good idea.... Numix is my go to theme for Xfce... I'd say it'd look fairly classy in KDE too...

Here it is then...

ksBpVMsB.png

The Firefox and Telegram icons are bugging me a little, but meh, it still looks pretty cool.

• Like 2

abarbarian

Hi all...

I had the urge to mess around with KDE themes a bit today, and ended up using Oxygen. 'Tis a great theme, but I came into a curious conundrum trying to set it for GTK stuff. "gtk2-engines-oxygen" is in the repos for Stretch, but the gtk3 variant seems to exist for every release apart from Stretch...

The package from any other release wouldn't install properly (manual download and dpkg -i, also tried with gdebi) due to a missing dependency. I'm wondering if anyone with more experience with in things Debian knows if I can expect it to show up in Stretch at some point.

Regards,

Jay.

You will certainly need oxygen if you are messing with KDE :w00tx100:

• Like 1

Plasma 5 comes with Breeze as default so you don't need to think about oxygen. ;)

And here's a new FF icon for you:

INhlilu.png

:thumbsup:

• Like 2

I've since switched to Numix Circle icons too... they seem to be more of a complete set than Numix Shine. Those are probably still a work in progress, but the circle ones even have all of the KDE stuff!

abarbarian

Plasma 5 comes with Breeze as default so you don't need to think about oxygen. ;)

INhlilu.png

Ah ha it is that cross pond culture gap thing again. I was meaning that as KDE is at the forefront of exploration some Oxygen might come in handy for those unexpected strains on the grey cell.

lifebuzz-3d8fcd08df89728176b54df5447058ff-limit_2000.jpg

:breakfast:

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

INhlilu.png

I like it. Using it on my panel in Xfce now. Thanks! :)

• Like 1