Ubuntu 16.10 reaches end of life

securitybreach

securitybreach

If you are still running Ubuntu 16.10, which was released last October, it’s time to upgrade. Also known as 'Yakkety Yak', it was released on October 13, 2016, and as per short-term release lifespans, has petered out its nine-month support cycle. If you’re still running 16.10, then it’s time to upgrade to Ubuntu 17.04 which will be supported until the start of 2018. Once a release, such as Ubuntu 16.10, reaches its end of life, it no longer receives any maintenance updates, critical security patches, or updated packages. The long-term support releases are better suited for people who don’t enjoy upgrading their system every six to nine months.

https://www.neowin.n...hes-end-of-life
  • Like 1

Hedon James

I don't enjoy upgrading my system every 6-9 months...so it's all LTS for me. But for the record, I don't enjoy upgrading my system every 3-5 years either. Instead of dropping support for their "interim" releases between LTS, I wish Canonical would just make those interim releases a "rolling release". An LTS channel for those who prefer, and a rolling release for those who prefer that. Does anyone actually enjoy reinstalling their OS every 6 to 9 months?

• Like 4

securitybreach

Luckily with a rolling distro, I havent had to do that in a decade. Well not because of a version release..

I don't enjoy upgrading my system every 6-9 months...so it's all LTS for me. But for the record, I don't enjoy upgrading my system every 3-5 years either. Instead of dropping support for their "interim" releases between LTS, I wish Canonical would just make those interim releases a "rolling release". An LTS channel for those who prefer, and a rolling release for those who prefer that. Does anyone actually enjoy reinstalling their OS every 6 to 9 months?

You can add the back ports repositories of newer packages into your older system, though couldn't you?

• Like 1

If you have your data on a separate partition or drive It's not a big deal to reinstall. I like the 3-5 years of stability something like Linux Mint 18 can provide. The most annoying problems with older releases can occur if you get a new printer or video card. I had nightmares with an AMD card that should have been old enough to work with LM 17 - but did not.

The last few times with Linux Mint a dist-upgrade in place worked fine. Probably I have some left over crud but it hasn't crashed anything yet.

• Like 1