tint2 In Semplice

V.T. Eric Layton

securitybreach
I tried to post a comment on the blog, but just couldn't seem to get past that ****** captcha carp. :(

That is because you are a bot :hysterical:

Nice link BTW :thumbsup:

Thanks for the link Eric. I started playing around with the tint2 config file a few months back on the lappy. I wanted to get my tint2 to match with my "red" theme of my conkys. I have sense added a status bar that includes the status of the battery and time. The tint2 config is actually quite easy to manipulate once you get going with it.

This is an older pic but shows what I was able to do with the color as well as a few other minor tweaks.

http://www.imagebam.com/image/d16ab4159867315

Nice screenshot, ichase!

Thanks, Eric. Of course it didn't take long after that was posted before I'd gone back and fiddled with the configuration some more. Too much fun!

In the past with Openbox, I've used pypanel, then fbpanel. I think I've also tried LXPanel from LXDE. In my current Openbox set-up in Ubuntu Lucid, I'm using xfce4-panel, which I think works out really well.

tint2 is really cool, but I think I prefer a panel with a more traditional desktop pager (but GNOME Shell's dynamic workspaces set-up is even better, in my opinion -- even without a traditional pager!). Also, I'm not seeing any pop-up capability for when the cursor is hovering over one of the launcher icons on the panel. Maybe I missed something.

And something I like about any of these panels -- and about Openbox and Fluxbox in general -- is that if you do a new installation later, it's real easy to re-use copies of the old config files in the new installation.

Thanks Saturnian,

Cairo-Dock is another easy to configure taskbar that has more "bells and whistles" then tint2. I have checked it out but I did not spend the time configuring it. It does look cool.

This is what the current desktop looks like on the lappy with the time and battery percent.

a9e98f177446249.jpg

This is what Cairo-Dock looks like in Openbox

f6ffed177448442.jpg

Edited by ichase