PureVPN billing

crp

here is email flow with PureVPN about use of creditcard. It just didn't pass my smell test, wonder what others here think of it.

Dear Ploney,

Our anti-fraud system rated your transaction as 'Request additional verification' which calls for a simple verification.

In order to serve our legitimate customers, like yourself, with a VPN network that is free from troubles/downtime we humbly request you to kindly verify your transaction. The mere purpose of asking for such verification is the fact that we need to keep fraudsters, who will always fail this verification, away and because we believe you are a genuine customer you will have no issues in verifying using this 100% safe and secure method.

Verification Method - Send us Blacked-out Copy of your Credit Card:

Kindly email us a scanned copy or photograph of your credit card's front end to enquiry@purevpn.com (Please leave last 4 digits visible, black out the rest). There is absolutely no security risk as you would black out most of the digits on your credit card. Why we need this? Well, again, we need to see that name you used in transaction + the last 4 digits.

We had lot of complaints even from the PayPal/Credit Card users that their account was misused after which we have implemented that system and have controlled a lot.

Please acknowledge, as we repeat, this step is merely intended to protect your identity from online fraud and to establish legitimacy of this transaction.

Awaiting your kind response,

The PureVPN Team

----------------------------------------------------

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 10:12 AM, <k****z@juno.com> wrote:

Hi TPT,

no can do - I use virtual creditcard numbers from my creditcard company. So

no physical card. -Ploney

----------------------------------------------------

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Please share with us the image of virtual card along with non confidential document like visa/passport/driving license so we will proceed accordingly.

Feel free to contact us for further assistance.

Best Regards,

Deniz

PureVPN Support Team

I declined to give them what they want and my payment seems to have been refunded.

I don't know about the smell test. This sounds a little more like a high-handed company that wants more information than most of us would be willing to give them than an actual scam to me. Maybe they've been under pressure about "enabling terrorists" or some such, or they're just being proactive, who knows. PureVPN did have an issue about 8 months ago with a fake email being sent to users, however:

http://techcrunch.co.../10/06/purevpn/

All this being said, I wouldn't have given them the information they requested either.

Edited by ebrke

Yep !! That stinks to high heaven . obsequious wording should always get yer long range antenna snapping. Even if genuine blow them out and change your pin.

Hello,

It sounds like is they are trying to ensure that no one uses their service for illegal activities. I can't really fault them for that. They probably don't want to get arrested or fined or sued because of something one of their customers did. In a sense, it is kind of a logical way to implement a "safe harbor" provision for a VPN provider.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky