JOIN THE PARTY !

Bruno

Today, September 18th is a day to celebrate - - 6 months SFNL Forums - - birthday.gif Scot, thanks for the great platform you created for us, a place to meet new friends, a forum to post our urgent questions. A knowledge base with high quality responses to enrich us and the greatest members on the web. :ermm: Bruno * SFNL the fastest growing forum on the net . . . . . . . . . . . counter.gif

It was a dark and stormy night.Somewhere in the Northeastern part of the United States, a child was being born into the cozy Finnie family...a child not of flesh and blood, but instead composed of words, punctuation marks and smiley faces. It was a difficult birth, in part because the mother of this child was the father of the family. For days, Scot had been in labor...sweating, screaming, cursing. This child was not going to enter the world easily. It wasn't that the child was overly large, or malformed, though it's color left something to be desired. This was a difficult birth because there is no anesthetic for a man giving birth to a forum.March 18th, early in the day. A new child enters the web. It has been given the massively awkward name Scot Finnie's Newsletter Forum. It's nickname, not much better, is SFNL forum. The forum is still too young to understand why it's been thrust out into the cold, confusing World Wide Web. It's too young yet to appreciate it's own convoluted URL. All it knows is it's hungry...hungry for members, hungry for attention, hungry for content. Scot soon realizes that this creation of his has to be released, and so with announcements of it's birth posted in his newsletter, he allows his monster to begin it's new life in cyberspace.Immediately, this newborn forum seeks out it's first victim. First one, then two...almost willingly, people enter the monster, allowing it to drain them of their best ideas, their questions, their free time. It feeds and feeds. In it's first day of life it has eaten well, growing to a size usually only seen in forums months, if not years, old. Day after day people enter the forum, dazed and confused, almost as if summoned by some unseen psychic force. The people seem oblivious to the obvious danger. They register...they respond to their email...they cease to have lives of their own. They are quickly consumed by the monster. Soon, they begin to see the monster as a benign beast, almost friendly. They've been blinded to the hazards ahead.By the time the forum is six months old, it has reached an unpredicted mass. It has fed on thousands of souls, extracted the essence of hundreds of willing beings. It has even begun to grow massive appendages. A huge penguin grows out of it's left side, an active, weaving, bobbing penguin in sunglasses. Out of it's right side grows a water cooler, though it serves no apparent purpose. It now has windows springing out of it's head, and security issues grow tentacle-like from it's legs. Still, it's hideous form is hidden from those who see it. It appears so non-threatening, so friendly, so welcoming. People continue to flock into it's grasp, unaware that all hope has just disappeared and they are now a part of the forum, inseparable from the beast.Scot watches his child in stunned amazement. He's not sure how he feels about this creature he's released on the world. As a proud father, he's heartened to see it eating so well and growing so large. But to be safe, he's recruited a cadre of misfits to help him control his child. Yet despite all their efforts, the beast continues to consume and grow. It seems as if the forum intends to consume the entire web. The forum barely takes time out of it's feeding binge to celebrate it's own 6 month birthday. If Scot and his faithful band of proto-geeks can't gain control soon, the entire electronic world is at risk of being assimilated, added to the mighty beast's expansive body.Is there any hope? Will Scot and crew ever be able to control the monster?Will the World Wide Web ever be made safe from this expanding threat?No. Sorry. Will there ever be an end to this story?Yes. :ermm:

birthday.gifHappy Half Birthday SFNL!Half a year! That's a big step for one so young. It has been a pleasure and delight to watch the forum grow over the past months. Thanks Scot for providing us with the place to come and learn and share - to be a part of the SFNL family.

WAAAAAHOOOOO!!!!! 6 Months and counting!! Happy .5 Bithday SFNL.Scot Thank you for such and Wonderful Fourm...And to everyone else for making it so.............. :ermm:

CONGRATULATIONS SCOT !!!!!!Thanks for footing the bill for this great Forum. It's a place to keep pace with latest in computers and help fix those vexing software and hardware issues.Ken

CongratulationsI don't know how you managed it, but, you have. This is a great home on the net, especially for baby Penguins. A very friendly, knowledgable community and flame free.

Happy Birthday to the Forum Scott I have benifited from it and still learning Great people/friends too.Keep up the good work Please excuse the avatar it was for Sept 3 Charlie

Guest LilBambi

Congratulations Scot!Happy 6 Month Milestone!It has been a true pleasure since the first day I visited these Forums, despite being somewhat of a growing monster (very funny story Jeber!)I am very happy to be a part of this wonderful growing community!Thanks to Scot, all the Mods and, most importantly, all the great members of SFNL Forums ... you have truly made this the best Forum out there!

I concur. Thank you Scot and all the SFNL Forums members...you've all done an outstanding job of making this a unique forum. I have yet to see another one as dynamic, friendly and helpful as this one. :D And welcome to all of you just joining for the first time, thanks to the latest newsletter. As you see, this is a great community to be a member of. Enjoy your time with us. Join us as we journey toward our first anniversary. :D

Congratulations!This is a cool forum -- the best I've ever participated in. Spam-free, friendly and most importantly, USEFUL!I found this great forum because of a link in our website's referrer logs. You can blame Peachy for that o:). I've had a great time ever since, even though it is true I seldom ever stray outside the Linux section :) You're a cute kid, SFNF, despite the way Jeber describes you o:)

Wow, I feel like I walked into the house of mirrors or something. How come you guys are all so ugly all of sudden?It's a party, (a birthday party for my monster child?) Someone pinch me. Please. What the heck happened to the smileys? Did I do that? Holy S---! :) You guys got me, you really got me. I did not expect this. Jeber :) , Bruno o:) , I have the feeling you two have been plotting again. (And Arena and LilBambi must be in on it.)Geez! Thanks for all the kind things many of you said. If this place is even close to half of how you described it, it's already exceeded my wildest expectations for it.But you know what I like best about it? It's still small enough to be cozy. It's still more like a neighborhood club than some huge overly exposed 'Net destination. We can still get our arms around it, if not around every post or thread.It is a great place, and I appreciate the recognition. But it's each and every person who is a member -- and especially those who regularly contribute or moderate -- who make it what it is. It's me who should be thanking you. o:) For my part, I couldn't be more proud.-- ScotP.S. Drinks are on me! (Probably literally.)

Wow! 6 months! Where did all that time go?THANKS SO MUCH! You've really built a great place for us to come, interact, learn, and most importantly, share and enjoy our love for technology!Thanks to all the admins, mods, and members! Thanks again. Sorry i'm late for the party :lol:

Congrats! ;) Thanks to all the members. Without members this forum would be a ghost town. :lol: It has been a wonderful online experience. Six months? Were'd the time go? It feels like March was just yesterday. :lol:

I haven't been here for 6 months, can I still get a drink? (coffee, of course!) I read a few sections before I joined but after reading and laughing my way thru the Really Bad Advice thread, I was hooked! Thanks for the help and the laughs both of which are very necessary.

I'm going to "unsticky" this thread today, but please feel free to continue to add your thoughts and wishes. We truly been blessed with the best members on the web. Let's all work together to make the next six months even better than the last six have been. And let's commit ourselves to keeping this community as great as it is. :thumbsup:

Thanks, Scot. Anything planned yet for the 1-year birthday bash?
I was thinking the same thing. What can we do?Of course, we've still got plenty of time to decide :thumbsup: