Best way to network

SonicDragon

SonicDragon

Ok, time for question number one :PWhat's the best way to go about sharing files between a mac and a PC? I probably won't be needing to transfer files from them too often, but it would be convenient... assuming it's not too hard to do. ;)The bigger question though is printing. I would like both the mac and pc to be able to print... but i don't have a network printer, just one that hooks up via USB. Is there away to have them both be able to print to this? Like have one computer act as the print server (would be better if it was the apple that was doing this)?Worse comes to worse i can just buy another USB cable and switch which one actually plugs into the printer depending on who needs to print i suppose *shrug*Thanks again all!

Any chance your printer has both a parallel and a USB port? That's how I share mine. The PC plugs into the parallel port and my iMac connects via USB.

Ok, when I first got my Mac it found my network on it's own, that broke with one of the first Panther versions, then was fixed right after... but I literally took my home network down since I had plenty of storage on my Mac.But just to test it... I turned on my Dell laptop (which connects to my AirPort Express wireless network) and used (XP Pro's) create a network feature. Let it do its thing (changed some settings, such as not to bridge anything), and up popped the connection on the Mac.You may need to tinker with some of the settings, but I'm sure you will be able to figure out how to get it to work.I like bjf123's suggestion for the Printer.... but I know it's possible to print from the Mac over the network to your PC connected printer... again some tinkering would need to be required. Because of my AirPort Extreme wireless network I have my Printer plugged into the base station then use Rendezvous on both the Mac and PC. But then again thats with an AP Extreme network.

SonicDragon

Thanks everyone.Peachy: I'll be sure to check out those links. I'm sure they'll come in handy! thanks ;)bjf: No, it only has a USB port :(Arena: thanks for the suggestions. i'm sure once it gets here i'll be able to figure more out / have more specific questions ;)Thanks again!

You're welcome.Like I said earlier... if you can set up your Windows system with it's built in network options it should show up without you having to do anything special. Linux on the other hand, I'm not sure about since I don't have a linux box, but it will probably be much easier (as you can see from Peachy's links).

• 1 month later...

I didn't know if I should follow up on this thread or start a new thread. But here is goes...My wife works for a non-profit organization. They all have MACs of all types. Some are 5 years old while a handful are a year old. All were donated. They use an application which I don't quite remember called FileMaker Server. So they don't have a dedicated server but a Mac running that app to be like a server. That Mac is also connected to a printer.Now the consultant they use to manage their website decided not to continue after the contract is up. So instead of finding another consultant, they decided to do it themselves. The consultant recommended that they use some web development tool, which I don't know. (I think it is HomeSite.) So the org manage to get a PC donated and bought the software. Now it is running and everything is fine. The PC is the only computer in the building that is not a Mac. You can do just about anything with that PC, surf, check mail, etc. The only problem is that they can't access the Mac with the FileMaker server running. There are images and some html code on it. My wife made me go over to her office and look at it. I have no clue as I am not a Mac person. I played around with the PC and no luck. I told her the first thing is that PC must be able to see the other Macs on the network in the building or the Mac seeing that PC. But they don't so that's where is stops. Any ideas on setting the FileMaker Server (or whatever it is) to accept PC as one of the share users? I told her the best thing you can do is burn it on a CD then put in the PC. But she said that it takes time. To save time and cost, they just want it on the network sharing files. To avoid my wife getting mad at me, I told her I do this. At least I helped in some ways.

Ok, so this is how i under stand it:The FileMaker program has two parts, a client which is installed on all the macs, and a server, which is just installed on one machine that all the macs connect to? Is that right? Do the macs have the client version of FileMaker on it, or is it just able to run off of the server computer?If they all have clients on it, the PC probably needs a client version too. Does the PC have a version of FileMaker on it?I'm just throwing out ideas. I've never really used FileMaker so...