So I Got A Mac PB G4

Nightsky

Mac Power Book G4 (5.8), 15" screen, 1.67GHz cpu, Tiger 10.4.11 :hysterical: Sure great graphics ability, but comes with little in the way of software.Anywho - there is some pretty gd open source software out there... So I updated X11 placed it on my dock and I'm wandering B) What is the cleanest way to maybe install scribus, inkscape, and maybe the word processor from OOo?How do I install and run Open source Graphic apps?Been reading MacPort and started to look at Fink but I don't understand, are these BSD based programs running a install scipts? Or do I figure out how BSD creates and installs pkgs then go into bash and untar src, config, make, install? Only os i used till recently was windows and am trying to learn slackware12 and now this mac which is more linux like than windows. TG I built an XP Box. Unfortunately I can't afford to just buy commercial software but I spend all my time learning how to get things done in these OSs instead of building some web pages. Well greetings from San Antonio, and thanks

Edited by Nightsky

I've got the same PowerBook. It's a great system. As for Open Source, shareware, and freeware, Version Tracker is your friend. If you visit versiontracker.com from your Mac, it will show you some of the top items there. You can search for specific type of programs, too. Give it a shot.

bjf123, I installed Scribus Aqua 1.3.310 and its in German... Anyhow I found this Blog: http://ianheath653.wordpress.com/ which recommends sticking with scribus Aqua 1.3.4 and I want to try it. Can you tell me how to do a 'Clean Un-Install' of ver 1.3.3.10? Do you have Sribus? I installed Scribus, Ooo, and Inkscape on Windows XP without any trouble. I installed Ooo on Slackware without any trouble. I want to be able to work on either XP or Mac in the same programs. Thanks for the link going to check it out now.

Edited by Nightsky

I don't even know what Scribus is, so no, I don't have it installed. If it installs like most OS X programs, to get rid of it, you just need to drag the program icon from your Applications folder to the trash. There might be something left in your prefs folder. If there is something identified as Scribus, you can delete that, too.

Scribus is a desktop publishing program. Usually you double click on a downloaded program to open it and then drag the icon to the applications folder to install it. I use a program called AppDelete to make sure I get rid of everything when removing a program. You just drag the program you don't want and drop it on appDelete and it does the rest. I really like the program. I am pretty sure I picked it up at VerisonTracker.OO is called NeoOffice for Mac. It runs without any problems. I have it on my Mac and am using it to do some editing for a basic web page I am working on right now. I am still looking for a good pen source html editor for my Mac. I have not installed inkscape but my Scribus is in English. I also have Xchat, VLC, Pysol, and Frozen-Bubble as open source software that I used on Linux before I switched. You will be amazed at how many programs you know from Linux are available for the Mac.

Teacher, what version of 'Scribus' did you install and did you use mac port or Fink to install it? Did you install Apples X11 update? I did. Do you have to open source apps in X11 terminal?Is a proj. I create in 'OO' on windows Xp, slackware and 'NeoOffice' inter-changeable? I mean if I am working on a 'OO' file in either XP, Slack, or Mac can save it to disk and work in any of the machines? Thanks

No I don't need to use X11 terminal to open programs that are open-source.Anything you open in NeoOffice will work on Windows XP, or any Open Office on any platform. If you save it to a file that is formatted so it is accessible to any operating system then you can open it in any operating system. Thumb drives work great for that sort of thing. My Scribus was Version 1.3.2cvs dated 23 January 2006. I saw that is a bit old so I downloaded g ScribusAqua-1.3.3.10.tgz. Take a look here:for an update on it. First came ghostscript. I downloaded it, and double clicked on the file to unpack it. Then I dragged and dropped it in the libraries/frameworks folder. Then I doubleclicked on the Scribus file. When it opened it and created the application I then dragged that file to my applications folder. Next I simply clicked on the Scribus icon and opened it, ready to go. If it is something you use everyday then drag the icon to your dock and then you can click directly on it to open it when you need it.

• 3 weeks later...

Keep these great tips coming. I'll be getting an older Apple eMac G4 running OS X 10.4 Tiger later this week, and considering how much I know about Macs, I'm bookmarking this thread. :thumbsup:

Teacher, appreciate your help. Please clarify this download process: i downloaded NeoOffice-2.2.2 PowerPCFirst, I have a White Drive looking icon on desktop that says NeoOffice-2.2.2-PowerPC, what is this?Second, I have white paper like icon with picture of hdd on it that says: NeoOffice-2.2.2-PowerPC.dmg on desktop, what is this?Third, I have a window that opened up automatically and it looks like a directory window with the White Drive icon beneath the Network icon Fourth, there is the content pane that shows NeoOffice...rPC.pkg and ReadMe.rtf file which I tried to open but don't understant its contents its not exactly a text file?Please clarify what all these icons represent and their function so I can understand what action I need to perform? thank you

The dmg file is a disk image. Once you've expanded that, which you have, you get the drive looking icon, which is the mounted disk from the download. The directory window is the Finder (like Windows Explorer). The drive icon showing under Network is the same as the disk icon on your desktop. The content pane is the opened disk. The pkg file is the package file that is used to install the program. I have no idea why you can't read the read me file. It should open in preview with no trouble, and should have instructions on installing the program. For programs that come in a pkg file, you usually install it by double clicking on it. For programs that don't come in a pkg file, you usually install it by dragging the program icon to your Applications folder. After you've got the program installed, you can eject the disk by either control clicking on it and choosing eject or click on the up arrow next to the disk in the Finder window. You can then drag the dmg file to the trash. Hope this helps.

Thanks bjf123, for clarifying the 2 different possible install pkg types, I was a bit confused. I got it and Neo Office installed fine.Teacher,Now I tried to install Scribus again. I already had ghostscript 8.57 installed in libraries\frameworks. The Scribus Aqua-1.3.3.10 is a .tar download. It opened as you described and after dragging Scribus icon to applications I dbled clicked it and it opened easily but still it is in either German / Danish and English unlike my windows install. Is there a language selection option somewhere?There was no GUI for Language Preference that I could find, here is a link to the solution:)http://mauroandres.wordpress.com/2007/06/0...nguage-setting/

Edited by Nightsky

Glad you found a solution. I' ve been on the road again. I have not had the language problem with the link I posted so I don't know how you ran into a problem.