Intel unveiling new chipsets!

GolfProRM

Just read an article from CNN.com that talks about Intel unveiling two new chipsets that are designed to go along with some redesigned processors that will add more high-end features while keeping the price down! :)They've got three new chipsets, two that work with the 800Mhz FSB and one that will run the 400/533Mhz FSBs... They are all versions of the new 865 chipset.The new CPU chips are remakes of the 2.4/2.6/2.8Ghz chips that will now support the 800Mhz FSB and Hyperthreading! :DYou can read CNN's article here: http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/05/21/i...reut/index.html

More info here at:AnandtechTom's Hardware GuideThe Tech ReportToo bad I bought an Intel 845PE chipset board (ASUS P4PE) late last year. Don't get me wrong, having a Pentium 4 system is great and I'm no slower than my computer at work, but, man, do they have to keep upping the speeds and capabilities of these things so quickly? :lol:

I know... I've got an Athlon Xp2000+ with the VIA KT400 chipset, and now they say the KT400 isn't worth it's salt with the 400Mhz FSB, and if you want the 400Mhz, you need the new KT400A.... I don't use it because I've got PC2700 RAM, and a processor with a 266Mhz Bus, but it means that upgrading isn't an option... If the Athlon64 ever comes out, I'll need a whole new system!! Crazy I say! Just can't keep up!

Guest LilBambi

And here I sit trudging along on a Linux box with PIII 450mhz 256MB RAM and a Windows box with Celeron 366mhz 128MB RAM!LOL! :( :rolleyes:EDIT: I forgot an I on the PIII!

Edited by LilBambi

Don't feel to bad Bambi... My work machine is a Celeron 333 with 128Mb of RAM! Running WinME (Triple ouch!!!) Oh well... this is still better than running a WinTerm (Windows Terminal with a 200Mhz Processor and 32Mb of RAM)!!

Don't feel to bad Bambi...  My work machine is a Celeron 333 with 128Mb of RAM!  Running WinME (Triple ouch!!!) Oh well... this is still better than running a WinTerm (Windows Terminal with a 200Mhz Processor and 32Mb of RAM)!!
Hey, when I started my new job as the "Computer Science Technologist" in January of this year my office machine was a Pentium 200 running Windows 95! :( Now I have a Pentium 4 1.8 GHz with 256MB RAM and Windows XP Pro. :(

I'd like to think there's hope, but I work for a COMPUTER SALES COMPANY, that not only sells name brand PC's but also makes white-box systems (from Dell), and I'm running one of the faster PC's in the building! They don't see the need to upgrade our systems even though we could do so very easily and cheaply. Most of my co-workers are running WinTerms because "Why would we need an actual computer that they couldn't control as easily?" Oh... and 17" monitors? HA! Most of us have 14's!!! A few of the "lucky" ones have 15's, but that's it... God forbid they'd actually spend money on their employees! And do they use this extra savings to pay us what we're worth? NO! Hmph...

Rant mode = Off!

Guest LilBambi

I hear ya Ryan!I have a 17" monitor (KDS Avitron) and I had to replace the silly thing a year or so ago, bought the same thing again for $100 less!Many of the other computers in the house have a variety of 15" monitors with various issues ;) One freeBSD machine actually has an old orange text on black (text only) monitor. It's a commandline only computer so it works well. LOL!

Guest ThunderRiver

I have come to the conclusion to stay where I am. I am still using my Pentium III 733 Mhz box along with my Pentium 4 Mobile 2 Ghz laptop..I will keep using them for another 3 to 4 years :)Hyperthreading is just a slogan..you can never do better than Dual processor..

:rolleyes:I can't afford to upgrade either. This machine I'm on now is a PII 350 running Mandrake 9.0 and I find it plenty fast enough for what I need it for. My fastest machine is a Celeron 1.7Ghz which I'm going to try RedHat 8.0 on, it's got no OS at the moment.Joy

I have come to the conclusion to stay where I am. I am still using my Pentium III 733 Mhz box along with my Pentium 4 Mobile 2 Ghz laptop..I will keep using them for another 3 to 4 years :)Hyperthreading is just a slogan..you can never do better than Dual processor..
I agree with you 200%! I have an Athlon 800. i have it loaded to the teet. 512mb PC133 ram, 80GB hard drive, 64meg MX440 Nvidia card. what else do i need?i built a 1.2 athlon for my brother, a 1.6 athlon for my dad, and just yesterday, a 2000+ athlon xp for my friend. my buddy opted to get just 256 ram, 30gb drive and an ATI 7000. it didnt feel much, if any bit faster than my box. the CPU is too over-rated lately. if you have a 600+ of anything, you can run pretty much everything you need. its the longest i've gone without upgrading system+cpu (over 2 years, i think), and i love it! and i can see lasting another 2+ years on it. I can run all newest games SMOOTHLY in 800x600 mode, so why would i upgrade ? if anything, i'll bump up to 1 gig ram and 128mb video before i even THINK of upgrading my trusty ol' CPU.p.s. thunderriver- PIII rocks, we have a 700 PIII at work, and it runs quicker than our P4 1.2 gig. go figure ;)

p.s. thunderriver-  PIII rocks,  we have a 700 PIII at work, and it runs quicker than our P4 1.2 gig.  go figure  :P
There's a pretty good reason why that's so. It's a P4 1.3 GHz right? That's the original one with Williamette core. There is no 1.2GHz P4. There is a 1.2GHz PIII and Celeron though. The original P4 ran on boards using only PC133 SDRAM so no wonder the PIII700 seems faster. ;)

Well I think I am going to wait quite a while longer to upgrade any of My PC's.I really can't see much of a speed difference with normal usage between my Piii880 and my AthyXP2000+. Both have 512MB. the Piii is overclocked 10% and is running a 110MHz FSB while the Athy is 2.5% O?C at 137 MHz. Now I am saying with normal usage there is really no difference between the 2 PC's. This is just normal usage. IE and Office type apps. Games there is a big differnece as well as Video editing.My Athy PC can play any game I throw at it and play them quite well. The Pii with it's older Vid card can't.Take this fun fact: When using TMPEGenc to encode a 1.42GB MPG 1 hour TV Show captured at 352x240 2.99MBit/sec down to 560MB MPG file at 352x240 1152Bit/sec. The Athy can do it in about 37 minutes everytime. The Piii does it in 75 to 80 minutes per job. That means if I rip down 6 Modern Marvels it will take all night on the Piii but I can do one in less time than it takes to watch it minus the commercials.Chris :huh: