ArchBang 2013.09.01 review at DistroWatch

saturnian

Loved this comment (currently comment #31):

Arch is pointless.

If you want more control, simplicity, and sanity, use Slackware. :)

Edit: Of course that comment was later removed, for whatever reason...

Edited by saturnian

securitybreach

IMO, derivatives goes against the whole idea of Archlinux. One of Arch's strong points is building a custom setup from scratch versus installing a prebuilt system but everyone has their own needs. One thing to remember though, everything in the Arch wiki will not apply to derivatives as they use custom repos and do not follow the same upgrade path. That said, Archbang does have their own wiki but not as extensive: http://wiki.archbang.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

securitybreach

Here is what they have to say about the differences if your interested:

Q. What is the difference between Arch Linux and ArchBang?

A. Arch Linux is an independently-developed i686/x86-64 community distribution, based on a rolling-release model and targeted at competent GNU/Linux users. Arch provides a minimal environment upon installation, (no GUI), compiled for i686/x86-64 architectures. Arch is lightweight, flexible, simple and aims to be very UNIX-like. Its design philosophy and implementation make it easy to extend and mold into whatever kind of system you're building - from a minimalist console machine to the most grandiose and feature rich desktop environments available.

ArchBang is a derivative (spinoff) of ArchLinux using a minimal Arch system and adding the Openbox Window Manager with ArchBang scripts and configuration files. ArchBang is a separate entity to Arch Linux and is in no way affiliated. All Archbang specific questions should be addressed in the ArchBang Forum.

With Arch Linux, there is still a fair amount of post-installation work to be done to build a functional desktop environment once the base Arch system is installed. With ArchBang, the installation includes the base Arch system and Openbox desktop environment and the ArchBang user skips the post installation work to have a functional desktop. This has been a point of contention between Arch and ArchBang.

http://wiki.archbang...and_ArchBang.3F

• Like 1

IMO, derivatives goes against the whole idea of Archlinux.

I believe this to be true, even though I've chosen to go with ArchBang and Bridge Linux instead of Arch. My feeling after using these distros over the past several months is that the user should be prepared to approach Arch derivatives with the same seriousness and attention as with a "straight" Arch installation.

One thing to remember though, everything in the Arch wiki will not apply to derivatives as they use custom repos and do not follow the same upgrade path.

That's another very good point; if you're using ArchBang or Bridge, you have to be careful about that...

However, I've found the Arch wiki to be extremely helpful for my ArchBang and Bridge installations.

By the way, both the Arch wiki and the Gentoo wiki are great, both of them have been quite useful to me -- long before I ever ran anything related to Arch or Gentoo! I mean, you have to be cognizant of the fact that you aren't running Arch or Gentoo, but a lot of times the documentation in those wikis can really be informative, even if the topic has to do with something that you're trying to do in a Debian-based system or whatever. Very good stuff in both of those wikis.

Edited by saturnian
  • Like 2

securitybreach
By the way, both the Arch wiki and the Gentoo wiki are great, both of them have been quite useful to me -- long before I ever ran anything related to Arch or Gentoo! I mean, you have to be cognizant of the fact that you aren't running Arch or Gentoo, but a lot of times the documentation in those wikis can really be informative, even if the topic has to do with something that you're trying to do in a Debian-based system or whatever. Very good stuff in both of those wikis.

Very true! The Gentoo wiki used to be the best one out there until they lost their entire wiki:

The Gentoo Wiki is lost, or as the administrator put it “database lost”. What does that mean? It means that every page, Encyclopedias of information, will never be seen again. The Gentoo Wiki was the pride and pillar of the Gentoo community. When all else flagged, the Gentoo Wiki remained strong. People from all over the Linux community, from multiple distro’s contributed to the wiki.

http://linuxtidbits....he-gentoo-wiki/

For many years, I relied on the Gentoo wiki until it went down and then Archlinux took the reigns and became the de facto linux wiki.

Very true! The Gentoo wiki used to be the best one out there until they lost their entire wiki:

http://linuxtidbits....he-gentoo-wiki/

For many years, I relied on the Gentoo wiki until it went down and then Archlinux took the reigns and became the de facto linux wiki.

That article's almost 5 years old, though. Isn't the Gentoo wiki going strong now? https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Main_Page

Is the above in red like the royal we over here ? A subtle way of saying we are in control :Laughing:

securitybreach

Is the above in red like the royal we over here ? A subtle way of saying we are in control :Laughing:

I meant that it replaced Gentoo as having the best linux documentation (IMO).

I meant that it replaced Gentoo as having the best linux documentation (IMO).

I go that, was pointing out that you should have used "reins" not "reigns" in my quirkily british way. :tease:

• Like 1

I go that, was pointing out that you should have used "reins" not "reigns" in my quirkily british way. :tease:

Banned for being a spelling nazi. :D Actually I'm just peeved because you got in first. :whistling: :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Banned for being a spelling nazi. :D Actually I'm just peeved because you got in first. :whistling: :rolleyes:

A Natzi. No no, think of it more as helping out the poor unfortunate and uneducated. :Laughing:

• Like 1