Jump to content


Using a free vpn called 'Zenmate'. Unable to get rid of noxiou

free vpn nagging login popup good vpn

  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   onederer

onederer

    Multithreader

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:37 PM

I found a free vpn named Zenmate. It offers unlimited, un-monitored full speed access. And access to several different server locations, in USA and Europe. The data is also encrypted as well.

With all that said, life is not a bowl of cherries. I don't have a clue if it belongs directly to Zenmate, but there is a very noxious login screen that very frequently pops up sequentially multiple times. And when that happens, the popup screen created a grayed out background transparent screen,  that prevents access to the page I was working on. The popup reports that it belongs to a vpn server (perhaps  one that belongs to Zenmate??). It says login required, however the actual login parameter needed for Zenmate doesn't work for this login popup I have no clue what's needed for a password/username needed to make the @%* just go away! As I'm writing this, it is preventing me from completing my typing without any interruption. I have to keep on clicking on the "cancel" to make it temporarily go away. When it happens, it can reappear at least a half-dozen times, one right after another. This harassment happens at random unexpected times.

So, based on what your knowledge, what's needed is some means to block this login/password popup.
Since it creates that gray transparent screen over my working surface, It prevents me from accessing my popup blocker, to target this noxious demon. I need some means of preventing this popup box from ever again showing up on my computer screen. Anyone, any ideas?

Cheers!
Le savant n'as pas peure de demander des questions.

#2 ONLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

    CLI Phreak

  • Forum Admins
  • 22,775 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:43 PM

View Postonederer, on 23 February 2017 - 10:37 PM, said:

I found a free vpn named Zenmate. It offers unlimited, un-monitored full speed access. And access to several different server locations, in USA and Europe.

That alone gives me reason to speculate the security... The rest of the issues sound about right for a free, unlmited VPN (the prompting, etc.), Personally I have used Torguard for the last year or so and it works beautifully with almost full native speed. They have servers all the world but they are located in Panama and do not keep any logs. Plus they are not that expensive.. like 40 bucks every three months.
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#3 OFFLINE   onederer

onederer

    Multithreader

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 11:33 PM

What I'm concerned about is if this is a vague way of harassment (without specifying so) to pay up for a yearly subscription.
I also used Anonymox, based in the UK. Their ploy was to monitor the usage, then throttle down the speed for 24 hours, to encourage a payup for a subscription.

I'd be okay if the login popup could be stopped from showing up on my screen. That gray transparent screen behind the login box makes it immune from being reached by anything on the regular computer screen working surface, It prevents me from accessing my popup blocker, to target this noxious demon. I need some means of preventing this popup box from ever again showing up on my computer screen. Anyone, any ideas? Software tricks?

Cheers!
Le savant n'as pas peure de demander des questions.
Le savant n'as pas peure de demander des questions.

#4 ONLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

    Thread Kahuna

  • Forum MVP
  • 5,267 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 07:15 AM

I have been using Zenmate browser extension in FF for quite a while now. Not all the time just on those occasions when I need to access some sites that are location specific.
I am prompted to login when I start the browser and I can either sign in and get no further prompts or I can close the sign in window without signing in and get no further prompts.
In MX-15 I found that if I signed in at the browser start then closed the browser without signing out of Zenmate the next time I started the browser I was still signed in and received no prompts at all.
Web pages do take a bit longer to load with Zen mate running, usually through Romania a tad quicker through Germany or the USA and a bit slower through Hong Kong.

I have been looking at VPN providers now that I have a decent broadband and found these paid for offerings which seem pretty neat.

Nord are based in Panama and have a special offer on at the moment $3.29 a month for a 2 year contract.

https://nordvpn.com/privacy-policy/

https://nordvpn.com/..._campaign=off18

Also ExpressVPN are based in the Virgin Isles and have an offer if you purchase an annual package, they will give you three extra months for free that’s $6.50/month.

http://www.ukvpn.org/en/expressvpn/

https://www.vpnmento...ews/expressvpn/

I'll have to look into SB's suggestion for TorGuard but I recon it will be  a tad more expensive. At the moment I am thinking of Nord as me favourite, mainly cos I am tight with loot and I can pay and forget for two years. :Laughing:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   Hedon James

Hedon James

    Thread Head

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:13 AM

View Postonederer, on 23 February 2017 - 10:37 PM, said:

I found a free vpn named Zenmate. It offers unlimited, un-monitored full speed access. And access to several different server locations, in USA and Europe. The data is also encrypted as well.

It has been my observation in life that if a product/service is provided to you for free, then YOU are the product/service!  FWIW, this isn't necessarily a bad thing, but you do need to figure out what product/services being extracted from you in the exchange.  Sometimes it's cheaper to pay for the product/service, as what they're extracting from you in "trade" is way more valuable than what you would have paid.  Only you can make that decision though...

#6 OFFLINE   onederer

onederer

    Multithreader

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:23 AM

Living on a SocSec pension, I'm not really on the  market for a pay-for-play VPN. SocSec money doesn't go very far. As far as Zenmate, it has everyting that I was looking for. Encryption, Tunnel, and Proxy. What I desperately seek is some means of muting that login popup box. Whether is it generated by Zenmate, or simply one of the servers that they use, I don't know. I still suspect that it is a form of harassment to force me to pay up for a subscription.

Since the popup login box has a gray background that covers my screen's working page, it renders it immune from being disabled by popup blockers. I need someone who knows how to cope with that. I believe that the login popup is just a dummy ploy to annoy the user who is using it for free. I did a check on the server's information. From what I understand, it is located on some island country where it is out of reach of the US gov't. And nothing in the information indicates that it has a connection with Zenmate. I have to assume that it is a proxy server company that's been contracted with Zenmate's proxy servers.

So, anyone know how to cut the legs off the popup, using some kind of software to prevent it from interrupting my screen while I'm trying to do some typing?

I don't really want to go back to Anonymox. They monitor the byte usage, and when limit is exceeded, they throttle down the incoming speed, 'till the next day. Their service is good too, but when they slow down the speed, UTube streaming becomes useless. And again, they are a pay-for-play service if one doesn't want harassment.

Cheers!
Le savant n'as pas peure de demander des questions.

#7 ONLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

    CLI Phreak

  • Forum Admins
  • 22,775 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:36 AM

View Postabarbarian, on 24 February 2017 - 07:15 AM, said:

I have been using Zenmate browser extension in FF for quite a while now. Not all the time just on those occasions when I need to access some sites that are location specific.
I am prompted to login when I start the browser and I can either sign in and get no further prompts or I can close the sign in window without signing in and get no further prompts.
In MX-15 I found that if I signed in at the browser start then closed the browser without signing out of Zenmate the next time I started the browser I was still signed in and received no prompts at all.
Web pages do take a bit longer to load with Zen mate running, usually through Romania a tad quicker through Germany or the USA and a bit slower through Hong Kong.

I have been looking at VPN providers now that I have a decent broadband and found these paid for offerings which seem pretty neat.

Nord are based in Panama and have a special offer on at the moment $3.29 a month for a 2 year contract.

https://nordvpn.com/privacy-policy/

https://nordvpn.com/..._campaign=off18

Also ExpressVPN are based in the Virgin Isles and have an offer if you purchase an annual package, they will give you three extra months for free that’s $6.50/month.

http://www.ukvpn.org/en/expressvpn/

https://www.vpnmento...ews/expressvpn/

I'll have to look into SB's suggestion for TorGuard but I recon it will be  a tad more expensive. At the moment I am thinking of Nord as me favourite, mainly cos I am tight with loot and I can pay and forget for two years. :Laughing:

Well the problem with nordvpn is that in order to get a dedicated IP, you must pay a $70 fee up front and with torguard its only a couple of dollars more a month. You need a dedicated IP if you want to ever be able to run any sort of server or need to remotely connect via ssh. Without a dedicated IP, you use a shared IP that changes. With a dedicated IP, you can just leave your VPN connected all the time and it will act like a normal static IP address,
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#8 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

    Nocturnal Slacker

  • Forum Admins
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 12:28 PM

I'm like Hedon James when it comes to using free services... "if a product/service is provided to you for free, then YOU are the product/service!" And that's all OK, as long as the user realizes this.

On the subject of VPNs: I use PIA (Private Internet Access). Have been for almost a year. It's great! Works well, excellent customer and technical support, etc. I'm running with higher level encryption that normal, so this shaves just a bit off my bandwidth. However, with my fast FIOS (50Mbps/50Mbps) connection, I feel that the extra encryption is not a burden. All it really does is slow down my initial TCP/IP requests. Once the encrypted packets (which travel from my home network through the VPN tunnel) reach the exit server, speed increases to full bandwidth from the exit server to the destination server.

Cost of PIA is $31.95/yr on the plan I chose when signing up.

#9 OFFLINE   onederer

onederer

    Multithreader

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 02:43 PM

I appreciate being introduced to different vpn's, it is quite  enlightening, Thank you!

However, if at all possible, I'd like to keep what I already use. The price is right, free! Isn't there one of you with a magic binary bag, who could figure out how to block the nasty login box, with it's grayed out background? When that popup appears, it's transparent grayed out background blocks access to my working surface, and interferes with my productivity. Especially when that login box just keeps-a-comin over and over again. Would you consider that to be harassment? There must be some kind of blocker that can defeat this kind of nuisance. After all, I'm already logged into ZenMate, which brings me to the thought that the popup is just an harassment dummy login box. I'm in no position right now for a long term financial arrangement for a vpn.

Cheers!
Le savant n'as pas peure de demander des questions.

#10 ONLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

    CLI Phreak

  • Forum Admins
  • 22,775 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 03:44 PM

View Postonederer, on 24 February 2017 - 02:43 PM, said:

I appreciate being introduced to different vpn's, it is quite  enlightening, Thank you!

However, if at all possible, I'd like to keep what I already use. The price is right, free! Isn't there one of you with a magic binary bag, who could figure out how to block the nasty login box, with it's grayed out background? When that popup appears, it's transparent grayed out background blocks access to my working surface, and interferes with my productivity. Especially when that login box just keeps-a-comin over and over again. Would you consider that to be harassment? There must be some kind of blocker that can defeat this kind of nuisance. After all, I'm already logged into ZenMate, which brings me to the thought that the popup is just an harassment dummy login box. I'm in no position right now for a long term financial arrangement for a vpn.

Cheers!

I assumed that this was an application, not a browser extension....simply use uBlock Origin and right click the popup and choose Block Element

https://chrome.googl...hjbkeiagm?hl=en
https://addons.mozil.../ublock-origin/
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#11 OFFLINE   onederer

onederer

    Multithreader

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 04:28 PM

I use Vivaldi as a browser. The ublock origin doesn't exist in my selections. If it was available, it would have to block the transparent gray background and the login box. Accessing the ublock origin from the working surface would be impossible as long as the login box exists. It would only work if the blocker is automatically working in the background, and doesn't require to be manually activated when the working screen is violated by being covered by the transparent grey cover/login box.

Cheers!.
Le savant n'as pas peure de demander des questions.

#12 ONLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

    CLI Phreak

  • Forum Admins
  • 22,775 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 05:36 PM

Quote

Because Vivaldi is built using the Chromium web browser project, extensions available in the Chrome Web Store can also be installed in Vivaldi.
https://help.vivaldi...cle/extensions/
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#13 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

    Nocturnal Slacker

  • Forum Admins
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 06:44 PM

In case you would like to shop around in the future, I had meant to post this link in the above post and forgot...

http://www.pcmag.com...,2403388,00.asp

#14 ONLINE   raymac46

raymac46

    Discussion Deity

  • Forum MVP
  • 3,185 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 06:49 PM

I can see the usefulness of a VPN if you are on the road and need to go into a Starbucks, or you are connecting remotely to your home server. I'm having a hard time convincing myself it's of use when I'm using a desktop at home. Could someone give me some reasons why they use it?
Posted Image

Registered Linux User 445659

#15 ONLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

    CLI Phreak

  • Forum Admins
  • 22,775 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 06:55 PM

View Postraymac46, on 24 February 2017 - 06:49 PM, said:

Could someone give me some reasons why they use it?

Mainly privacy and security,
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#16 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

    Nocturnal Slacker

  • Forum Admins
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 06:56 PM

View Postsecuritybreach, on 24 February 2017 - 06:55 PM, said:

View Postraymac46, on 24 February 2017 - 06:49 PM, said:

Could someone give me some reasons why they use it?

Mainly privacy and security,

Same for me.

#17 OFFLINE   onederer

onederer

    Multithreader

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 08:02 PM

Yes, VPN for privacy. We are no longer private people. Uncle Sam is watching, listening, to everything you do. It's getting pretty much like China. So, if the Gov't want's to spy on you, make your data encrypted, secure, and difficult for them to check up on you. Make them work for their bread. It's not the 1950's anymore. You are now government property, and they are treating you as such.
Le savant n'as pas peure de demander des questions.

#18 OFFLINE   onederer

onederer

    Multithreader

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 08:14 PM

As far as the Vivaldi Browser, I forgot to look into the Chrome Store to find the blocker. I got it now.

Now we'll see if the noxious transparent gray background and the login square will begone forever. I found that the server name in the login square, within the name is a server number, and now I found that the number changes. So that means that I'll be busy filling in all the different numbers as they change, in the blocker. I want to specify that one popup will be detected and banished from my browser.

Cheers!
Le savant n'as pas peure de demander des questions.

#19 ONLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

    Thread Kahuna

  • Forum MVP
  • 5,267 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 08:40 PM

View Postsecuritybreach, on 24 February 2017 - 09:36 AM, said:


Well the problem with nordvpn is that in order to get a dedicated IP, you must pay a $70 fee up front and with torguard its only a couple of dollars more a month. You need a dedicated IP if you want to ever be able to run any sort of server or need to remotely connect via ssh. Without a dedicated IP, you use a shared IP that changes. With a dedicated IP, you can just leave your VPN connected all the time and it will act like a normal static IP address,

Ta I knew there was another reason I was thinking of getting  a vpn. Would a Dynamic DNS service do the same thing ?

https://airvpn.org/faq/ddns/

Quote


"Dynamic DNS or DDNS is a method of updating, in real time, a Domain Name System (DNS) to point to a changing IP address on the Internet. This is used to provide a persistent domain name for a resource that may change location on the network."
Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia....iki/Dynamic_DNS

:breakfast:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#20 ONLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

    CLI Phreak

  • Forum Admins
  • 22,775 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:16 PM

Well I do not think it would work as when you use a VPN without a dedicated IP, you are sharing IPs in a pool.
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#21 ONLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

    CLI Phreak

  • Forum Admins
  • 22,775 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:18 PM

Quote

If your ISP shares IP address among many subscribers, which means inbound traffic cannot be directed to a particular subscriber, then the IP address cannot be used to host anything. You better get your own public IP.

Quote

As others mentioned having a shared public IP means, you don't have control over inbound traffic routing(port forwarding) so its not possible to run services which can be accessed from outside the private network.

https://www.dynu.com...ip/10/sincelast
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#22 ONLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

    Thread Kahuna

  • Forum MVP
  • 5,267 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 07:21 AM

View Postsecuritybreach, on 24 February 2017 - 10:16 PM, said:

Well I do not think it would work as when you use a VPN without a dedicated IP, you are sharing IPs in a pool.

Hi thanks.

Me grey cell is full of house renovation stuff at the moment so am finding techy stuff a tad hard.

Air VPN allows port forwarding along with DDNS. Would this combination allow me to run a server on a Pi running a blog available to the internet ?

https://airvpn.org/f...ort_forwarding/

:228823:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#23 ONLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

    CLI Phreak

  • Forum Admins
  • 22,775 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 07:08 PM

View Postabarbarian, on 06 March 2017 - 07:21 AM, said:

View Postsecuritybreach, on 24 February 2017 - 10:16 PM, said:

Well I do not think it would work as when you use a VPN without a dedicated IP, you are sharing IPs in a pool.

Hi thanks.

Me grey cell is full of house renovation stuff at the moment so am finding techy stuff a tad hard.

Air VPN allows port forwarding along with DDNS. Would this combination allow me to run a server on a Pi running a blog available to the internet ?

https://airvpn.org/f...ort_forwarding/

:228823:

Well I dunno about AirVPN but you need to have a static address (that does not change) in order to access a machine over the internet. Otherwise how would you be able to map the port to the correct  address?

Now a server like DDNS simply maps the new IP address to the domain address when it changes. That allows you to the access the server's url no matter if the IP address has changed or not.
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users