• Please log in to reply
222 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   sunrat

sunrat

Thread Kahuna

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 08:45 PM

Unlock Widgets and click on the cashew, now you can drag panel items to wherever you want.

For your dongle woes, I have no experience with them. Try here -
https://wiki.debian.org/Modem/3G
It appears some are supported out of the box, and others require a little config change. Hope yours is one of the easy ones! On the plus side, I've heard Huawei are one of the better supported brands.
Also try searching http://forums.debian.net/ . Hint, search that forum works best with Google eg.
huawei broadband dongle site:http://forums.debian.net/

registered Linux user number 324659  || The importance of Reading The *Fine* Manual! :D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageKXStudio
For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.

#52 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 12:48 PM

At long last I have Slackware installed and good enough to get on the net . I am a very happy chappie. Even got a queasy broadband modem and ISP. to work well. It's been a longish hack for me .But I really have to thank Eric for his silent encouragement,
I will never forget all the information so well presented on Dugan Chan's homepage,When it came down to it ,desperation was the main driver .

I am happy to announce that I am a new Slacker now . Yipee
Linux counter no . 393441

#53 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,512 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 12:49 PM

Cool :thumbup:
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#54 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:12 PM

Hokey/kokey:- This is a sharp learning curve. I've broken just about everything on the system today. The boot in. The browser . And just about 50% of everything else. The worst of it was Firefox  and Konqueror crashing and the system not posting through to login. System freezing. Everytime it froze I just stuck in the install iso and when that gave up (blinking cursor,black screen)
I gave up nearly.
I resolved the browser problem by installing Seamonkey.Lilo sorted itself out after a few restarts.
So here we are again (I always knew Slackware was virtually bullet proof) I maybe have problems through lack of swap part and 504Mb of ram.
Tomorrow I am going to order the Slackbook and dvd's from the Slackstore.com.....
I will then boot and suit correctly..

I got a Huawei E3272 LTE usb stick. It speeds along the surf , But no way can I install it on Debian. *no netmanager* and Sagis will not push it either .
Not really fussed as It works on all 4 of the other machines here.
Still I kinda miss the old desktop .

#55 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 06:43 AM

View PostCapt.Crow, on 17 May 2015 - 12:48 PM, said:

At long last I have Slackware installed and good enough to get on the net . I am a very happy chappie. Even got a queasy broadband modem and ISP. to work well. It's been a longish hack for me .But I really have to thank Eric for his silent encouragement,
I will never forget all the information so well presented on Dugan Chan's homepage,When it came down to it ,desperation was the main driver .

I am happy to announce that I am a new Slacker now . Yipee

You will soon be able to play with a real os like Arch grasshopper. o:)

Seriously though.. Well done on the install, I am too much of a wimp to try being a slacker. :worthy: :worthy:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#56 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 06:18 PM

Well Slackware has kept me busy the last few days. Found out some simple things I never knew before . One was how to uncomment a mirror. More important is the way to access these files for editing . SU wont get you there . So all is now up dated upgraded and up for grabs.
Seamonkey is a tad slower than I'm used to and crashes now and then. Don't have the file/edit/about/etc toolbars up yet.Everything else is good.
I put another 512mb ram into the extra slot. But it's only showing 736Mb of the total of 2x512. Cpu is running way up at the top of it's range and memory is really getting soaked up by some little weevil .
No swap partition really isn't helping. perhaps using the huge.s Kernal untrimmed is another flaw in this scenario.
Any day now this Amilo is going to have it's windows *broken,swept up and dumped in the bin forever*
A clean sweep and a whole new fresh *as the morning dew*install of Slackware 14.?
How would you divi up 40Gb. :shrug:

#57 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 05:28 AM

How would you divi up 40Gb. :shrug:

Either would not bother or 10GB for /root and 30GB for /home or 28GB /home and 2GBswap. :breakfast:
Install ARCH

#58 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,512 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 10:36 AM

Yeah 40gb is way too small for anything nowadays. I use that much just for my / partition, then 32gb for swap and the rest for /home

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#59 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 05:23 PM

As I'm not a great mover and shaker on the net . So a huge HD is not really needed ,a few photos ,couple of progs. bookmarks and maybe some d/loaded info.  10for root is sensible 2swap ,then maybe split the rest 60/40 for home and logic.
All the heavy stuff goes via stick or rw to other boxes which are never on the net .

My main thing is to get movie streaming off to a fine art . Yep the truth is out :-I'm a movie and TV serial fanatic.

#60 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 08:32 AM

split the rest 60/40 for home and logic.

I know what /home is but what is "logic" ? :fish:
Install ARCH

#61 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,512 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 08:57 AM

View Postabarbarian, on 01 June 2015 - 08:32 AM, said:

Perhaps, logical partition but I do not know how that would applicable.

#62 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:06 AM

View Postsecuritybreach, on 01 June 2015 - 08:57 AM, said:

View Postabarbarian, on 01 June 2015 - 08:32 AM, said:

Perhaps, logical partition but I do not know how that would applicable.

Baffled me too as he is in Ireland and logic does not exist over there :tease: :Laughing:
Install ARCH

#63 OFFLINE   sunrat

sunrat

Thread Kahuna

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:55 AM

With 40GB l would make 2GB swap and put everything else in one 38Gb partition.
registered Linux user number 324659  || The importance of Reading The *Fine* Manual! :D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageKXStudio
For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.

#64 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:25 PM

The bottle is never 1/2 full nor 1/2 empty.. It's either 50/50 or much of a muchness. That's the cream of Irish logic.
When I slip the install disk into the slot and things start moving I will follow first the instructions ,but well overlayed with intuition.
Every day I spend rootling around Slackware os .I learn a bit more.

One thing I would like to do is dedicate a partition to bootload (optional)for automated recovery. Hummmm!!!

Hopefully when the dust settles I will have a first class masters degree in busting operating systems. :w00tx100: :oops: :bangin:

#65 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 04:48 PM

So as my old dad used to say " I'm monkey sick "  of trying to get the e3272 installed on my Debian Squeeze box.I have red rimmed eyes screaming around the net looking for answers. D*** Debian for not including netmanager in their distro.
The e3272 works almost out of the box on Slackware 14.1.  Therefore I will install it on this recently acquired Dell Dimension.
and feel more comfortable and secure than with W.7 which is really a miserable place for me.
I've been wondering when it comes to writing the partitions whether it is better write each part to disc or all together.?
Another gripe is these touch-pads they work almost like predictive txt on the cell phones and always do the unexpected.The upside is navigating with the keys  is almost becoming second nature.
Mindful that I have clumsy builders hands,still they can play a sweet guitar.
I will leave Deb on the Inspiron just to keep me humble. :bangin: :'(

#66 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 11:00 AM

I have installed 'hugesmp.s' on a Dimension. All is good all the way up to where 'startx' is supposed to supply the kde gui.
The first screen where it shows the services loading happens.Then just when the main destop should show ,there is a blinking cursor and a black screen.
It is a clean install and even LiLo co-operates.
All the way up to root login and terminal. Then sheeshe.
Eric is there something I'm missing on the install.
I didn't get to activate any user logins yet. Just root.

#67 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 07:36 PM

Solved. Re-ran xorgsetup. Got past the crash .Refresh rate needs sorting and the colors are a little pale.

Must be psychic communication. :alien: :clap: :alien:

#68 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 20,812 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 10:45 PM

Yes, I was streaming the solution through the ether while lying abed last night. Glad you were receiving. AHHHHHHHHMMMMM... AHHHHHHHMMMMM....

#69 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 04:15 AM

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: .I am not going to knock the possibility.
Now all I have to do is get netmanager up and running.
Having a little trouble getting into the mirrors file to set my local mirror.>heanet<
Not too worried yet .But the iso I had to use is a disc LXF165.So as it's a few years old there must be a stack of updates and patches .
Will keep this thread running .May be a help to guests etc.

Thank you all for your encouragement. :thumbup: :thumbup:

#70 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 05:18 AM

Now this machine is up and running on Slackware 14.1 .Konqueror is the browser of choice (for now)
While the colors are a little different ,one can live with that. It fairly screams along.
It's a really good feeling when things happen the way one desires .

Now it's a matter of resolving the update/upgrade issue re getting at and editing the mirrors file.

Oddest thing while one may never find solutions in one particular place and have visited perhaps hundreds on sites (rejecting most and trying a few) ,the aggregate of ideas will in time reveal the answers.

So Hello Slackworld long may it prosper and grow.
Au revoir Debian
No doubt we'll meet again from time to time for a wee tete a tete

#71 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 03:28 PM

This whitelist thing on Konqueror is very strict. Guess I will have to study that .
A lot of stuff gets blocked .For instance the editing bar that should appear on top of this reply box, just isn't there. On other sites the smiley's while I can see them just will not post.

And just for a laugh...... The mouse while connected and working is almost redundant as I am using the keys by instinct now. LoL...

#72 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,512 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 10:28 PM

Man, I haven't used knoqueror as a browser in many years. It is kind of stagnant compared to current browsers like firefox and chrome/chromium. Why are you using Konqueror as your browser anyway?

#73 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 06:29 AM

Kinda just because it's there. It will be good to get familiar with all it's pro's and con's. There are some things about it which are very weird and it would be ood to get it as slick as I may.
As a fall back * Seamonkey * ...after that WM3. :th_1sm330office-work: :party0036: :Muahaha:

#74 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,512 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 09:49 AM

What does WM3 mean? Also, do you not care for chromium?

#75 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 05:53 PM

It's a mouldy old cmd line browser . Maybe I have an error in the title. Next time I turn on the other box I will retrieve the Url.

I'm not getting much desktime lately. The weather has taken a turn for the better and a lot of outdoor projects are moving again at long last.

How you settling in Norlins. Loads a good music I hope .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users