97 replies to this topic

#76 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:20 AM

DjangoGirlsCon? (2015)

The organization grew from just two people to hundreds of organizers, contributors, and coaches. From Canada to Australia, the Django Girls were everywhere. You can learn more about the program by listening to this year's EuroPython 2015 keynote by myself and Ola Sitarska.

:breakfast:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#77 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 07:42 AM

Girls Can Code aims to inspire new generation of coders (2015)

BBC talent show to scour the country for programming talent
The BBC is launching a new talent show called Girls Can Code aimed at inspiring more girls to take up computer science, engineering and coding.

Cambridge University runs coding summer school for girls (2015)

“We were really impressed with how excited, interested and creative the girls were,” said the university’s Dr Robert Harle. “Starting from nothing, they were able to build a simple web game and then independently add new gameplay options, graphics, scoring mechanisms and all sorts of great additions we had never thought of.
“The girls were extremely social and created a great learning atmosphere. They were self-motivated and a pleasure to teach. We hope that they continue to develop their new skills and spread the word to their friends.”

Install ARCH

#78 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,103 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 11:20 AM

Neat stuff
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#79 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 06:16 AM

Outreachy and the road toward diversity (2015)

Diversity has a new full-time ally. Marina Zhurakhinskaya (zhoo-ra-HEEN-ska-ya) recently won an O'Reilly award for her work in diversity for free and open source software (FOSS), and she just successfully created a new position for diversity at Red Hat. Oh, and, she's a new mom.
Marina is always happy to share details about her work, so you can be sure to get a lot out of her responses to the questions I asked her about her new award, her role at Red Hat, and her work with Outreachy, a program to help underrepresented groups get involved in FOSS. For instance, she explains how she and her husband managed a new baby at OSCON this year, where she received her award.

Install ARCH

#80 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 02:06 PM

Intel doubles its bounty for women and ethnic minorities (2015)

Intel is currently offering $4,000 (£2,560) to employees who suggest job candidates that help it achieve its diversity goals, according to the Wall Street Journal.

“Intel is committed to increase the diversity of our workforce,” the company said in a statement seen by the paper. “We are currently offering our employees an additional incentive to help us attract diverse qualified candidates in a competitive environment for talent.”

:good2:
Install ARCH

#81 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 02:59 PM

Startups, burnout, and the path to happy employees (21015)

Leah Silber is CEO and co-founder of Tilde, a training and consulting startup with a focus on open source led by alumni and current leaders of projects like Ruby on Rails, jQuery, and Ember. Tilde is also the company behind Skylight, a Rails performance tool.

Leah told me that Tilde contributes back by building and maintaining the vibrant open source communities they love. To do that takes a lot of time and effort, so how does she maintain? How does anyone in open source get it all done without burnout? Leah explains in this interview.

Find out more in her upcoming All Things Open talk: Designing the startup you always wanted to work for.

Install ARCH

#82 OFFLINE   goretsky

goretsky

Forum Fiend

• Forum Moderators
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 06:59 PM

Hello,

Two of my colleagues gave a talk on diversity at this year's Virus Bulletin conference.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky
Dexter is a good dog.

Aryeh Goretsky
Microsoft MVP (Windows - IT Pro)

Facebook ē Google+ ē personal blog ē personal website ē Twitter

#83 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 05:41 AM

Personnel shortage and diversity in IT: Is it truly a problem?(2015)

I expanded Goretysky's link from above one of the co presenters was,

Lysa Myers

Lysa Myers began her tenure in malware research labs in the weeks before the Melissa virus outbreak in 1999. She has watched both the malware landscape and the security technologies used to prevent threats grow and change dramatically. Because keeping up with all this change can be difficult for even the most tech-savvy users, Myers enjoys explaining security issues in an approachable manner for companies and consumers alike. Over the years, Myers has worked both within anti-virus research labs, finding and analysing new malware, and within the third-party testing industry to evaluate the effectiveness of security products. As a Security Researcher for ESET, she focuses on providing practical analysis and advice of security trends and events.

Mozilla creates web tools and practices for open science (2015)

Abby Mayes is a lead developer for Mozilla Science Lab, which is a global network of researchers, tool developers, librarians, and publishers who work to further open science on the web. Abby has previously done work as a bioinformatics software developer, was a mentor on the Genome Informatics Group, and has won several awards for science and mathematics.
In this interview with her prior to her talk at All Things Open this year, find out more about how to open up scientific data.

Install ARCH

#84 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 08:33 AM

Systers

Join Systers

It’s important to know that you are not alone. Systers is a forum for all women involved in the technical aspects of computing. The community has over 6,000 members from at least 60 countries around the world. We welcome the participation of women technologists of all ages and at any stage of their studies or careers. Systers is the world’s largest email community of women in technical roles in computing. It was founded by Anita Borg in 1987 together with 12 other women as a small electronic mailing list for women in “systems”.
Anita’s vision in creating Systers in 1987 was to “increase the number of women in computer science and make the environments in which women work more conducive to their continued participation in the field.”

Don't know whether to sing

Now there was a time when they used to say
That behind every great man there had to be a great woman
Now in these times of change, you know that it's no longer true
So we're comin' out of the kitchen
'Cause there's somethin' we forgot to say to you
We said, "Sisters are doin' it for themselves"
Standin' on their own two feet
And ringin' on their own bells
We said, "Sisters are doin' it for themselves"

or be very very worried

The Borg Queen has a unique personality and a sense of individuality that normal Borg drones are not allowed. She is usually the one who "speaks" for the Collective in situations where contact with outsiders is best conducted by an individual. But for the Borg Queen the concepts "I" and "we" are interchangeable. In her own words, she is the "one who is many."

:228823:
Install ARCH

#85 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 08:35 AM

Coding in a safe place (2105)

The Python Software Foundation's (PSF) Director Carol Willing is ready for the Grace Hopper Celebration of Women conference to start on October 14. One of the many highlights of her week will most definitely be the Open Source Day Codeathon, where some attendees will be making their very first contributions to open source.

Carol will be mentoring coders for OpenHatch and the Systers' Volunteer Management System. OpenHatch matches people with projects, and Systers is the largest tech forum for women in the world. Learn more about these projects, and the PSF's role at Grace Hopper this year, in this interview.

Carol also co-organizes PyLadies in San Diego, a meetup group for women in the area to learn about and practice Python.

Install ARCH

#86 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,103 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 09:33 AM

Neat :thumbsup:
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#87 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:12 PM

Awesome! :thumbsup:
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#88 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 03:00 PM

Linux Kernel Community's 'Toxic Background Radiation' (2015)

Longtime Linux kernel developer Sarah Sharp last week published a blog post detailing her reasons for quitting the Linux kernel community.
Sharp maintained the USB 3.0 host controller driver until January, when she decided to leave rather than continue to "contribute to a community where I was technically respected, but I could not ask for personal respect," she wrote.

Install ARCH

#89 OFFLINE   ebrke

ebrke

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,714 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 03:39 PM

Sharp maintained the USB 3.0 host controller driver until January, when she decided to leave rather than continue to "contribute to a community where I was technically respected, but I could not ask for personal respect," she wrote.
That's a shame. And much as I admire Linus, I doubt it's a issue that's on his radar.
Registered Linux User 344759

#90 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 03:39 AM

Among her concerns:
  • Maintainers often were blunt, rude or brutal, spewing vile words;
  • People were allowed to get away with sexist and homophobic jokes;
  • The Code of Conflict lacked both specificity and teeth; and
  • Senior kernel developers defended the "right" of maintainers to indulge in verbal and emotional abuse in order to release their own frustrations.

This is the very elitist behavior that Bruno tried to keep away from Bruno's BATL because it was rampant in the Linux community as a whole for a long time.

I thought we were beyond that now with the more positive help that many Linux communities provide these days after Bruno's excellent example.

I love Linux, but so many of us were the brunt of that type of behavior trying to get help in the Linux community years ago.

It has been so much better since Bruno took over BATL and became the very positive influence for those needing help in the Linux community as a whole.

But that elitist attitude appears to be alive and well among developers still? Sigh...
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#91 OFFLINE   ebrke

ebrke

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,714 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 06:04 PM

Senior kernel developers defended the "right" of maintainers to indulge in verbal and emotional abuse in order to release their own frustrations.
Translation:  Senior kernel developers defended the "right" of maintainers to behave like children when they are frustrated.
Registered Linux User 344759

#92 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 09:19 AM

3 misperceptions women have about computer science (2015)

YouTube's CEO Susan Wojcicki delivered a powerful keynote this morning to thousands of attendees at the Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing, which is being held this week in Houston. She started with, "My daughter told me she doesn't like computers."

Fullstack unveils the Grace Hopper Academy (2015)

A new coding school dedicated to combating gender disparity in the technology field has launched. The Grace Hopper Academy, named after computer science pioneer Grace Hopper, is an all-women school designed to provide high-quality education with no upfront cost.
The new school comes out of the Fullstack Academy, a coding school based out of New York that provides a project-based educational structure, along with advanced curriculum on emerging technologies.

Install ARCH

#93 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 11:32 AM

CSU students join thousands for celebration of women in computing(2017)

This past fall, 10 undergraduate computer science students from Colorado State University had the opportunity to rub elbows with some of the biggest names in computing – all of whom were women.

The occasion was the Anita Borg Institute’s Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing, an annual conference that draws more than 15,000 attendees, held this year in Houston, Texas. The CSU students in attendance all received special scholarships to attend the meeting, where they were able to meet women at all stages of their careers – and hear from high-level speakers, including Ginni Rometty, the current president and CEO of IBM, Latanya Sweeney, the founder and director of Harvard’s Data Privacy Lab, and Megan Smith, the United States Chief Technology Officer.
The conference provides an important touchpoint for women in a field that is still staggeringly lacking in diversity.

Nationally, fewer than one in five bachelor’s in computer science goes to a woman. But that’s a trend that the College of Natural Sciences and its computer science department have been working to address. Rallying support to send a group of female computer science students to this meeting for the first time is one of the ways the department is helping to bolster and encourage this growth.

Edited by abarbarian, 16 March 2017 - 11:19 AM.

Install ARCH

#94 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 11:08 AM

The True Story of 'Hidden Figures' and the Women Who Crunched the Numbers for NASA(2017)

There's a moment halfway into Hidden Figures when head NASA engineer Paul Stafford refuses the request of Katherine Johnson (Taraji P. Henson) to attend an editorial meeting about John Glenn's upcoming mission to become the first American to orbit the Earth. Stafford's response is dismissive—"There's no protocol for women attending." Johnson replies, "There's no protocol for a man circling Earth either, sir."
The quote underlines this based-on-a-true-story movie. For NASA to get John Glenn into space and home safely, institutions that supported prejudices and biases needed to start tumbling down. All hands (and brains) had to be on deck.

An excellent article. It focuses on women not just the film . :breakfast:

Edited by abarbarian, 16 March 2017 - 11:18 AM.

Install ARCH

#95 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 11:13 AM

The fight to get women into the coding industry starts in middle school.(2016)

The gender gap in computing jobs has gotten worse in the last 30 years, even as computer science job opportunities expand rapidly, according to new research from Accenture and Girls Who Code.

In 1984, 37 percent of computer science majors were women, but by 2014 that number had dropped to 18 percent, according to the study. The computing industry's rate of U.S. job creation is three times the national average, but if trends continue, the study estimates that women will hold only 20 percent of computing jobs by 2025.

The study offers insight into factors that create either positive and negative associations with computer science for girls at the middle school, high school and college levels, as well as strategies for educators to make computer science more appealing to girls.

Edited by abarbarian, 16 March 2017 - 11:17 AM.

Install ARCH

#96 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 11:16 AM

The Rise of Robots Will Make the Tech Gender Gap Even Worse(2017)

Whether it was IBM boss Ginni Rometty, dashing onto the podium to anchor a panel on artificial intelligence, or a defiant Christine Lagarde, holding forth on the need to fight back against populism, high-powered women were everywhere at this year’s World Economic Forum in Davos. Women reached a record share of attendees who scored prestigious white badges at the event.

What echoed through the halls of the main Congress Centre and after-hours events, though, was the sobering truth that the tenuous gains women have made in the world economy are at risk for those further down the ladder. Especially when it comes to the jobs of the future.

The so-called Fourth Industrial Revolution, the rise of automation and artificial intelligence, is projected to be far more destructive globally to jobs currently favored by women than to jobs favored by men, according to the WEF.

Edited by abarbarian, 16 March 2017 - 11:17 AM.

Install ARCH

#97 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 10:47 AM

The surprisingly unknown history of women in computing (2017)

Ask someone to tell you the role gender has played in the history of computing and computer design. More likely than not, you’ll hear something about how all the important inventions and contributions to computing have been brought about by “great men.”

Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Sergey Brin, Larry Page, Mark Zuckerberg—you get the point.

Nothing could be farther from the truth.

The computer industry was once dominated by women. Programming, computer design, computer maintenance, innovation, even “war machines”—computers used to decrypt enemy communications—were all traditionally feminized careers in the ‘40s and ‘50s.

Across the Atlantic, something very different happened. Britain led the way in the computing industry, beating the USA to the first electronic computer in the world, the Colossus.

The Colossus, which was also predominantly maintained, used, and programmed by the Women’s Royal Naval Service, and which actively affected the outcome of the war, was shelved upon Allied victory. So were the women who worked on it.

The women who worked on the Colossus were sworn into secrecy, and couldn’t mention their work (let alone put it on a resume) until the British government reluctantly declassified the machine, decades later.

I do believe, however, that if women as a whole are able to take ownership of their own narrative by teaching their friends and daughters about the rich history of women in computing, it will not only benefit women as a whole, but also countless intersectional classifications.

If we can take back the narrative from the history books, from the media, from the misperceptions of hiring managers (among other workplace functions), we have a chance to change the contours of society in such a way that women could be within reach of true (or almost true) gender equality, at least in terms of the workplace.

You can start by sharing this article with as many women as you know, starting a dialogue on social media, or just bringing it up at the dinner table tonight.

Edited by abarbarian, 18 March 2017 - 10:48 AM.

Install ARCH

#98 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:39 AM

Dell's 'Alice' Will Guide Women Through VC Wonderland (2017)

One of the interesting things at Dell EMC World last week came from Karen Quintos, the most powerful woman at Dell.
Karen is responsible for its Entrepreneur in Residence program, which, among other things, focuses on equipping and helping woman entrepreneurs. Dell Technologies apparently has created "Alice," a female-focused artificial intelligence focused on helping support and drive innovative firms backed by women.

I do so hope that they watched all the AI gone bad movies from the 80's and took note of all that can go wrong before they built Alice :Muahaha:

Edited by abarbarian, 17 May 2017 - 10:39 AM.

Install ARCH

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: women, females, open source

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users