My chick tech pic was malware?

I just can't catch a break. :(

#52 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,509 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 05:21 PM

Try to use image sites like imgur.com, photobucket, etc. instead of direct from websites. It's the good netizen way to do things anyway. It may not have been the image itself, but the URL was reporting as malware. Just because Linux users are safe, doesn't mean we should let our fellow Windows users suffer malware infections just to see a picture we liked from a search.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#53 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 05:26 PM

View Postabarbarian, on 12 July 2014 - 06:26 AM, said:

My you are in the doldrums ain't you. :hmm:

No one is asking you to compete.

If you make the offer to help out ChickTech in your area, either as a chapter leader or just as a volunteer your name will be noted even if they do not take up your offer.
If they take up your offer then all sorts of doors will open. Yes you will have to get of your butt and do some free work.The upside is that your name will be noted most favourably by folk who matter in your area and nationally too.You will have the support of hundreds of women who will not only view you in a favourable light but will try to help you.An you can trust me on this, they will help you in all sorts of ways.You may not see the help they offer straight away but behind the scenes efforts will be made on your behalf.

Time to look at life and take action in a different way as your present way does not seem to be working. What have you got to loose ?

:breakfast:

That's very true. I get bottles of whiskey, apple pies, yummy ,home made jam. Divorced husbands old suits. Loads of stuff.
And all I do is fix the odd light.plumbing leak .and shift their old white goods.
Linux counter no . 393441

#54 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:23 AM

http://opensource.co...cisco-openstack

OpenStack has presented a huge opportunity for technologists at many levels. Niki Acosta is one of those technologists who strives to pull together all aspects of the OpenStack community for the betterment of everyone.

Niki is the Director of Cloud Evangelism at Metacloud, now a part of Cisco. Metacloud delivers private infrastructure as a service based on the popular and open source cloud platform, OpenStack. As an active OpenStack participant, tweeter, and blogger, she has become a recognized name in the cloud industry.

Find out more in my interview with Nikki.

Most interesting especially the motivation,

What are you most excited about in the realm of open source and cloud?

Technology is moving faster than ever before, and while it's painful for some, it's great for humanity. I imagine a future where we can use open source models and the technology we've built with open source software to tackle serious problems—from curing cancer to drastically reducing carbon emissions. Cloud computing is the foundation for self-driving cars, intelligent homes, and a host of applications that make life easier and better in so many ways. We're laying the foundation for a future that looks a lot different than it does now, and we're just scratching the surface of what's possible.

Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#55 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:44 AM

More Women in Games!

The current firestorm of harassment aimed at women who work in video games occurs at a remarkable time when women are driving growth in the gaming market in players and in spending.

Install ARCH

#56 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 02:15 PM

You can buy a
Barbie I Can Be Computer Engineer Barbie Doll

an you could buy a companion book but it has been withdrawn from sale for some reason

Mattel Pulls Sexist Barbie Book “I Can Be A Computer Engineer” Off Amazon

naturally women fought back

Barbie, Remixed: I (really!) can be a computer engineer.

an if you want to join in the fight you can

Help Barbie be the competent, independent, bad-*** engineer that she
wants to be.

:Muahaha:

Edited by abarbarian, 22 November 2014 - 02:33 PM.

Install ARCH

#57 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,509 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:01 PM

No comment... ;)
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#58 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 08:54 PM

The re-hashes of the original book are done very well. So that could be viewed as a silver lining. B)
Install ARCH

#59 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 03:33 PM

This is the original talk

Women In Technology/Open Source Panel

And this is a most interesting article about it

Keys to diversity in tech are more simple than you think (2014)

Install ARCH

#60 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 06:35 AM

Changing Channels: Where to Work if You're a Woman in IT May 21, 2015

13 best companies for female IT prosMay 19, 2015 02:04 pm

One key to recruiting and retaining more women in technology is representation: Organizations with women in visible leadership positions tend to attract other women. To recognize firms that both measure and actively work to change underrepresentation of women, the Anita Borg Institute (ABI), a nonprofit organization whose mission is to advance women in computing, released this month its annual list of top companies for women technologists leadership index.

Install ARCH

#61 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 10:32 AM

DevOps is 90% change and 10% technology (2015)

Jen Krieger used her first computer in the early 80s and maintained a strong interest in technology ever since. She started her career as a financial analyst and eventually moved into IT where she gained expertise in software development and releases. Jen has worked with many development methods, from waterfall to Agile.
Now, she's an Agile coach at Red Hat for the teams working on Project Atomic, Docker, and Kubernetes. This year, Jen is speaking at DevNation about what it means to be a DevOps engineer, and in this interview she tells us about the challenges of implementing DevOps, shares some advice for engineers, and more.

Install ARCH

#62 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 06:58 AM

Open source licensing important for future of Internet of Things (2015)

Cat Robson is a user experience strategist and manager working on the Red Hat user experience team. Since arriving at Red Hat in 2012, she has influenced the design of the JBoss Developer website, JBoss EAP, JBDS, and other products. She helps teams see how a user experience focus can improve the quality of their offerings. She teaches each part of the organization to become passionate about the user experience.Prior to her talk at DevNation this year, I reached out to her so we could learn more about her work at Red Hat and about the future of open source licenses in the Internet of Things (IoT) era.

Install ARCH

#63 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 06:58 PM

A young lady friend has just started with Facebook Dublin office on the moderaters desk for japan and those regions .
I'm just wondering how long it will be before shellshock sets in .
Linux counter no . 393441

#64 OFFLINE   goretsky

goretsky

Forum Fiend

• Forum Moderators
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 11:18 PM

Hello,

More from my colleague Lysa Myers:

http://www.csoonline...-from-home.html
http://www.darkreadi.../d/d-id/1320370
http://www.welivesec...arting-infosec/
http://www.huffingto..._b_6190992.html
http://www.csoonline...in-infosec.html

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky
Dexter is a good dog.

Aryeh Goretsky
Microsoft MVP (Windows - IT Pro)

Facebook ē Google+ ē personal blog ē personal website ē Twitter

#65 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 06:46 AM

Women In Security Speak Out On Why There Are Still So Few Of Them (2015)

Just 10% of information security pros worldwide are women today, according to the latest data from (ISC)2, despite the fact that women are getting more high-profile roles in the industry and that there are job opportunities aplenty. It's a reality that confounds and frustrates many women in the industry, who today represent a mix of researchers, chief information security officers, executives, and top government cyber security leaders.
While women make up a tiny fraction of the industry, the good news is that there are more of them with high-profile roles in security than ever before, a trend that was evident last month at the RSA Conference in San Francisco, where women in top cyber security official jobs at the US Department of Homeland Security, US-CERT, National Security Agency, the White House, and Department of Justice, were featured speakers, as well as security researchers-turned security executives and other corporate security execs.

Neat articles Goretsky. I thought this one deserved an extra bump. :breakfast:
Install ARCH

#66 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:38 AM

Sharp, Shah Win 1st Women in Open Source Awards (2015)

Interview with winner of Red Hat's Women in Open Source Academic Award, Kesha Shah (2015)

As many have said, for us to have the most diverse ideas we need to have the most diverse backgrounds. Red Hat reinforces that sentiment today with the announcement of their first winner of the Women in Open Source, Academic Award: Kesha Shah.
A multitude of contributions to open source from women all over the world were evaluated, nominations were made, and finally, votes were cast and tallied for the two awards that comprise the Women in Open Source Award from Red Hat: the Community Award and the Academic Award.
The winner of the Women in Open Source, Community Award is Sarah Sharp. See our interview with her. Also, view all of the finalists for the awards.
Red Hat's hope is that the number of women contributing to open source grows by leaps and bounds in the coming years. Recognition is a great start.

Install ARCH

#67 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:52 PM

Women in IT Security: 10 Power Players (2015)

These 10 women were selected for their longstanding contributions to the IT security space. As veterans in the field, they've served as exemplary women taking on leadership roles in the community. We celebrate by offering their stories as well as testimonials from colleagues who have been inspired by them.

Install ARCH

#68 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 06:21 AM

How Two Bored 1970s Housewives Helped Create The PC Industry (2015)

Posted Image    Posted Image

One of the best articles I have read concerning women in computing. :Laie_95:

This gem was found by Securitybreach  :worthy:

Edited by abarbarian, 24 July 2015 - 06:23 AM.

Install ARCH

#69 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,512 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 09:48 AM

Great, glad you enjoyed it :)
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#70 OFFLINE   ebrke

ebrke

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 08:20 PM

Really interesting. Hard to believe how quickly things changed in the early '80s.
Registered Linux User 344759

#71 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 05:12 AM

View Postebrke, on 24 July 2015 - 08:20 PM, said:

Really interesting. Hard to believe how quickly things changed in the early '80s.

Even more interesting is the fact that apart from a few geeks and feminists no one has heard of them. It has all been IBM,Job's and Gate's,Apple etc. Ask most ordinary folk who started the pc industry and you will get Windows or Apple as an answer. :whistling:
Install ARCH

#72 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,512 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 09:38 AM

View Postabarbarian, on 25 July 2015 - 05:12 AM, said:

Even more interesting is the fact that apart from a few geeks and feminists no one has heard of them. It has all been IBM,Job's and Gate's,Apple etc. Ask most ordinary folk who started the pc industry and you will get Windows or Apple as an answer. :whistling:

Yeah, well most people are also complete morons.
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#73 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 06:53 AM

View Postsecuritybreach, on 25 July 2015 - 09:38 AM, said:

View Postabarbarian, on 25 July 2015 - 05:12 AM, said:

Yeah, well most people are also complete morons.

As are we all outside our own field of knowledge :whistling:
Install ARCH

#74 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 02:19 PM

Patricia Torvalds on computing

What made you interested in studying computer science and engineering?

(spoiler alert: it wasn't her father)

My interest in tech really grew throughout high school. I wanted to go into biology for a while, until around my sophomore year. I had a web design internship at the Portland VA after my sophomore year. And I took an engineering class called Exploratory Ventures, which sent an ROV into the Pacific ocean late in my sophomore year, but the turning point was probably when I was named a regional winner and national runner up for the NCWIT Aspirations in Computing award halfway through my junior year.

Neat. :breakfast:
Install ARCH

#75 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 05:08 AM

How open source helped one woman break into the tech industry (2015)

Can you describe your first interaction with technology?

I started putting my hands on computers at a very young age, 8 years old more or less, thanks to my mom. My parents run their own business and my mother is in charge of all accounting and management duties, so when my brother and I were young she decided to move her office to our house and take care of us (a pioneer of remote work, huh?). When she finished her daily work, she would always tell me to sit with her so that I could learn how to use the computer.
Then, when I was about 13 years old, there were many old pieces of hardware around my house that I decided to restore and use as a lab. In this lab I ran early GNU/Linux versions and such. That's when things started to get serious. :)

Neat. :breakfast:
Install ARCH

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: women, females, open source

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users