96 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   goretsky

goretsky

Forum Fiend

• Forum Moderators
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:22 AM

Hello,

If you see a job that interests you, dust off you resume and PM me.  Some positions are open to telecommuting.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky
Dexter is a good dog.

Aryeh Goretsky
Microsoft MVP (Windows - IT Pro)

Facebook ē Google+ ē personal blog ē personal website ē Twitter

#27 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,016 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:41 AM

View Postgoretsky, on 12 May 2014 - 04:22 AM, said:

Hello,

If you see a job that interests you, dust off you resume and PM me.  Some positions are open to telecommuting.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Would they not need a link to a "Positions Vacant" page ?

There you are Eric and Fran loot beckons courtesy of your knight in shining armour Goretsky :sorcerer:  Well it is an outside chance, but that is how empires usually start. :yes:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#28 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,504 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:46 AM

What kind of a researcher would we be if we couldn't find ESET job listings. ;)
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#29 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,016 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:48 AM

View PostLilBambi, on 12 May 2014 - 08:46 AM, said:

What kind of a researcher would we be if we couldn't find ESET job listings. ;)

Had not realised Goretsky worked for ESET. o:)
Install ARCH

#30 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,016 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 07:56 AM

Lost picture inspires Colossus reunion

A rediscovered photograph from World War Two has reunited some of the women who worked on the Colossus code-cracking computer.

:hug:
Install ARCH

#31 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,504 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:10 AM

I should have known that Colossus: The Forbin Project (1970) would have its root name from some military code name...
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#32 OFFLINE   ebrke

ebrke

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,591 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:53 PM

Slightly off-topic, has anyone else seen The Bletchley Circle (drama/mystery) on PBS?  Pretty good.
Registered Linux User 344759

#33 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,016 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:34 AM

View Postebrke, on 17 May 2014 - 05:53 PM, said:

Slightly off-topic, has anyone else seen The Bletchley Circle (drama/mystery) on PBS?  Pretty good.

Think they are up to series two. Very good series indeed. :breakfast:

OPW Intern Develops QR Code for Linux Kernel Oops Messages

Linux kernel debugging may soon be a bit easier for kernel developers and users in the field thanks to the work of Outreach Program for Women intern Teodora Băluţă.

:breakfast:
Install ARCH

#34 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,016 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:01 PM

Linux Poetry Explains the Kernel, Line By Line (2014)

Over the past few months she's begun to teach herself how the Linux kernel works by studying text books, including Understanding the Linux Kernel, Unix Network Programming, and The Unix Programming Environment. But instead of taking notes, she weaves the new terminology and ideas she learns into poetry about system architecture and programming concepts.

:biggrin:
Install ARCH

#35 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,247 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:12 PM

Very neat!
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#36 OFFLINE   ebrke

ebrke

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,591 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:57 PM

View Postabarbarian, on 20 June 2014 - 01:01 PM, said:

Most unusual way of thinking.  I can't relate to it really, but it certainly seems to work for her.  Interesting.
Registered Linux User 344759

#37 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:31 PM

Lateral thinking .I heartily approve of that. I am also a firm believer that more women in "business/politics/education" can only lead to a better world. I say set them all free and listen to their voice. No More 2nd citizens any where on our planet .
Linux counter no . 393441

#38 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,504 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:19 PM

Totally agree, Capt.Crow!
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#39 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,504 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:49 PM

View Postabarbarian, on 11 May 2014 - 02:05 PM, said:

I know you are a busy bee. What you need is less hours and more loot for the ones you do. My post was jocular though it would be interesting to see if they would consider you for the job. If they did offer a interview that would be a ego boost an they may be offering mega bucks. :laugh:

They did consider me but nothing in the telecommute area available as yet. They have my resume pkg thanks to Aryeh.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#40 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,247 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:27 AM

View PostLilBambi, on 21 June 2014 - 11:49 PM, said:

They did consider me but nothing in the telecommute area available as yet. They have my resume pkg thanks to Aryeh.

Very cooL!

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#41 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,016 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:01 AM

Girls' skills are needed in tech (2014)

ChickTech is based in Portland but plans to be nationwide by 2016. After interviewing Jennifer Davidson about how ChickTech gets girls involved in tech, I have high hopes it's even sooner.
The non-profit targets girls who would never nominate themselves to participate in a tech workshop and who wouldn't dream of a career in tech. Why? Because they've never had someone believe their skills were valuable in that world. I believe that our society understands that girls' skills are needed in tech, we've just needed support for our girls like we've shown for our boys.

Each ChickTech chapter (currently Portland, Corvallis, and San Francisco) has a leadership team whose job it is to organize volunteers to run events for the ChickTech: High School program. We implemented leadership teams with a goal of building community amongst local tech professionals and university students; these volunteers work together to make positive change in their communities by introducing girls to technology.

There you are Eric an opportunity.Either be a volunteer or go for chapter leader.

We use and promote open source tools and products because we want to lower the cost barrier to entry for the girls. We want them to be able to install and use these tools when they get home to continue their projects. For example, our website design and creation workshop uses Drupal, and we use open hardware (Arduino) for our soft circuits workshop. In our computer construction course, we teach girls how to install Ubuntu on a desktop machine that they built (and that they get to take home!).
Personally, I am passionate about open source and open knowledge, and I think it’s a fabulous way to share knowledge and ensure that people from all  backgrounds have access to tech.

Super project. :th_Smileywave:
Install ARCH

#42 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum MVP
  • 20,588 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:05 PM

Great! Just what I need. It's bad enough that I'm competing with pimply-faced 19 year old male nerds for tech positions, but now you want me to compete with this too?

REMOVED MALWARE URL**

Edited by LilBambi, 11 July 2014 - 07:26 PM.
** REMOVED MALWARE URL -- ESET picked up on it and blocked it here but could harm Windows computers

#43 OFFLINE   Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:12 PM

:Smiley-IPB-400: :Muahaha: :help: :ShrugSmileySnagGB: Never venture never win . Just invest in the makeup.
Linux counter no . 393441

#44 OFFLINE   Urmas

Urmas

GUI Penguin

• Forum Moderators
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:13 PM

Posted Image

#45 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum MVP
  • 20,588 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:20 PM

tl:dw

However, I got the gist of it in the first five minutes or so.

She has a cute accent. ;)

#46 OFFLINE   Urmas

Urmas

GUI Penguin

• Forum Moderators
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:46 PM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 11 July 2014 - 06:20 PM, said:

tl:dw

:thumbsdown:

People have the attention span of a gnat these days.

:hysterical:

Posted Image

#47 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum MVP
  • 20,588 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:19 PM

That's very true, regarding the attention span comment. :(

#48 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,247 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:12 AM

View PostUrmas, on 11 July 2014 - 06:13 PM, said:

Very cool!

#49 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,016 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:09 AM

Excellent find Urmas. :clap:
Install ARCH

#50 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,016 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:26 AM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 11 July 2014 - 06:05 PM, said:

Great! Just what I need. It's bad enough that I'm competing with pimply-faced 19 year old male nerds for tech positions, but now you want me to compete with this too?

REMOVED MALWARE URL**

My you are in the doldrums ain't you. :hmm:

No one is asking you to compete.

If you make the offer to help out ChickTech in your area, either as a chapter leader or just as a volunteer your name will be noted even if they do not take up your offer.
If they take up your offer then all sorts of doors will open. Yes you will have to get of your butt and do some free work.The upside is that your name will be noted most favourably by folk who matter in your area and nationally too.You will have the support of hundreds of women who will not only view you in a favourable light but will try to help you.An you can trust me on this, they will help you in all sorts of ways.You may not see the help they offer straight away but behind the scenes efforts will be made on your behalf.

Time to look at life and take action in a different way as your present way does not seem to be working. What have you got to loose ?

:breakfast:
Install ARCH

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: women, females, open source

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users