Change the Default Save Folder for Windows 7 Something else

zillah

Dear floks

Normally when I work on my computer I have got many files types :

PDF, jpg, word , email attachments, txt,,,,etc

Every time when I want to save those files , my PC defaults location to My Document location

I have to chane that manually to be the desktop

How can I avoid the manual changing ? I mean I want my PC to default the location for all those files types to desktop not my Document

Regards

Edited by zillah

Guest LilBambi

Change the Default Save Folder for Windows 7 Libraries to Something Else (Like Your Dropbox) - HowToGeek

Two methods are listed in that article. But they are both related to changing/adding to the places included in the Documents Library. And then choosing that 'location' as the Default.

So it seems that you must add the Desktop as one of the 'locations' for Documents Library, then set Desktop as Default save location using one of the two methods in the article for adding a 'location' to the Documents Library. Then you edit the properties of Documents Library included 'locations' and choose the Desktop as the Default save location.

So it seems that you must add the Desktop as one of the 'locations' for Documents Library, then set Desktop as Default save location using one of the two methods in the article for adding a 'location' to the Documents Library.

I had done that but it didn't work

Regards

Guest LilBambi

Well some programs have their own settings for default save location. Might want to check that too.

But that is the correct, general method to change the location for default save.

Very odd if it didn't work as advertised. ;)

Guest LilBambi

OK, here are two more things to try.

The one that you might want to try first:

I do not get that type of behavior when performing a "save as" task. Point your save as to the root folder, (C:\User\My Documents, etc) not the library and observe if the behavior changes.

The old method has not been revamped with libraries. Libraries are a new additional feature. View them as all of those folders on your XP desktop that you saved or collected files into. They are not the location of file. Please refer to the resources available about Libraries.

The save as is typically directed by the application being used. Perhaps the application that you are using needs adjustments to settings.

You could also run or check the troubleshooter from the Action Center to determine if there are any system problems that need addressing.

It would be more helpful if you would describe the details..Which version of Windows 7, which application, file type and action attempted and the result to to get some assistance.

Dear floks

Normally when I work on my computer I have got many files types :

PDF, jpg, word , email attachments, txt,,,,etc

Every time when I want to save those files , my PC defaults location to My Document location

I have to chane that manually to be the desktop

How can I avoid the manual changing ? I mean I want my PC to default the location for all those files types to desktop not my Document

Regards

:hmm: On my pc, Win7 seems to remember where i last saved a file with that extension and gives me that as the destination. Some of my apps override this and have their own destinations.