30 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   Dr. J

Dr. J

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 03:26 PM

My apologies for 'giving up', I figured a bit of laziness here may lead to more productivity in the long run... :fish: :teehee:
/usr/bin/drinking
~/hungover

#27 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,103 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 05:41 PM

It's cool, I understand :thumbsup:
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#28 OFFLINE   cercos

cercos

New Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 08:43 PM

I know this is kind of old but perhaps you don't have steam-native-runtime installed, it's part of the multilib repository.  I had the same problem and installing that fixed it.

sudo pacman -S steam-native-runtime

Edited by cercos, 19 February 2017 - 08:44 PM.

#29 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,103 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 08:55 PM

View Postcercos, on 19 February 2017 - 08:43 PM, said:

I know this is kind of old but perhaps you don't have steam-native-runtime installed, it's part of the multilib repository.  I had the same problem and installing that fixed it.

Welcome to the forums cercos, nice to have you..  :clap:

BTW, I run steam-native all the time on Arch but I have never installed the runtime. Do you know what the runtime provides over just running steam-native via the steam package?

I see that the description says "Native replacement for the Steam runtime"but I thought that was essentially what running steam-native instead of just steam did?

In case you all do not  know what steam-native provides......Steam is compiled on SteamOS which is a sort of Ubuntu variant. Because of this, some distros do not work as well with some games due to library locations, etc.. If you run into an issue, you can usually just run the steam-native executable instead of just steam to fix this.

Steam bundles its own libraries, they call it the runtime, and the native launcher disables this and uses system libraries.

On Arch specifically note that they use up to date packages in the multilib repo. That means with the native option you might encounter broken ABI libraries that games didn't expect. As such I probably wouldn't recommend using it or at least understand it is broken in concept.

To fix the normal steam probably read this: https://wiki.archlin..._runtime_issues

https://www.reddit.c...native/dbhp1tb/

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#30 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,103 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:23 PM

Wow, lost of deps.... ;)

Posted Image

#31 OFFLINE   Dr. J

Dr. J

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:40 AM

View Postcercos, on 19 February 2017 - 08:43 PM, said:

:th_hi: Hello and Welcome,

Thanks for the advice, but I've had steam running perfectly in Manjaro for a while now... chances are it was a bug in steam-runtime that has been patched by now.
I must install steam on my Arch netbook to see if it works there now, although that machine struggles to render Zork... :ermm: :teehee: !
/usr/bin/drinking
~/hungover

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: steam, arch linux, video driver

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users