.pages help

zlim

My husband got a file and the last bit of it was wpd.pages. I incorrectly assumed that if I renamed it, he'd be able to open it in WordPerfect. When his old computer (WP7 and 8) couldn't deal with it, I tried the newer one (WP11) but that didn't work either. I let windows go out on the internet then Bing search for a solution and found out that .pages was created with iWorks.Unfortunately, all the members of his committee have computers running windows.Is there a converter? Or is there a viewer? Or should I call up the person who sent the file to everyone that he needs to save it in a different format so everyone can open it? If it can be saved in another format, what are the choices? I haven't been on anything Apple since 1989!!!Thanks in advance for any help you can offer to this clueless ex-Apple user.

Found this on another forum you hang at. From 2009. But it doesn't specify which version of Word.MS Word comes installed with converters, and should convert works to docs Place the documents you want to convert in a single folder. On the File menu, click New. In the New Document task pane, under New from template, click General templates. Click the Other Documents tab. Double-click Batch Conversion Wizard. Follow the directions on the screen.Here's an Open Source solution from '09 but supposedly it doesn't retain formatting.Pages ConvertSome other suggested alternativesHow to convert pages

MS Word comes installed with converters, and should convert works to docs
That might be MS Works and not iWorks that Word can convert to because he has Office 2000 as well as WordPerfect on his computer and the computer did not know what to do with the file. I might play with this (Office 2007) just to see what happens for future reference.My hubby called the guy who was most appreciative to learn the file could not be opened. It turns out he used his wife's computer to edit it. He moved over to his own Windows computer and resent the file to everyone from a windows computer. My hubby just opened it and printed it out.I'll look at those two links. Thanks, frapper.Trial 1:
In the New Document task pane, under New from template
There is no New from Template category in Office 2007 so I'm stalled at that point.Before doing this, I tried to open it in Office and it balked.Trial 2: from the 2nd link, I found that an OSX user can save a file as a pdf.http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?pa....6/en/8152.htmlthat's the easiest thing to tell him to do when he works on something on his wife's computer.Trial 3: I read over the info on the sourceforge site and saw this
Converts pages word processor files to txt files on windows PCs (requires .net framework).
I do have some .NET installed but not on every computer and nothing above some version of 2 so I decided not to try that software.Thanks frapper for looking at solutions.I emailed the guy and pointed him to the pdf page then he can use his wife's computer and not worry. Edited by zlim

There is no New from Template category in Office 2007 so I'm stalled at that point.
Liz, the way I normally start a new document in MS Word is a keyboard combination Ctrl + N. That works for 2007/2010 as well as just about every previous version of Word. If you're trying to start a new template in 2007 or 2010 version, start a new document (Ctrl + N), do a 'Save As' and after you've given it a filename, choose "word document template" from the Save As drop down menu. It's listed as *.dotx.I didn't know what iWorks was until you posted. I just did a quick Google search and it seems like it's the MS Office equivalent for Mac users. Just by reading a quick synopsis of it on their website, it seems there is good cross compatibility with Windows MS Office users. The author or your husbands associate just may have forgotten to convert the format over to Windows users before sending it out to everyone.http://www.apple.com/iwork/compatibility/ Edited by Tushman

Trial 2: from the 2nd link, I found that an OSX user can save a file as a pdf.http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?pa....6/en/8152.htmlthat's the easiest thing to tell him to do when he works on something on his wife's computer.....I emailed the guy and pointed him to the pdf page then he can use his wife's computer and not worry.
Converting the file to PDF may work out and be the solution but that's not always the case. I don't know the background of your situation. If all he wants to do is share/disseminate information contained in the iWorks document, there's no forseeable complications with that. However, if the recipients have to make modifications to the document, it may be adviseable to save it in a MS Office format. Judging by the information on Apple's website, it does seem like iWorks is quite capable and and like I said above, cross compatible with other applications such as MS Office. From the link I posted above."Email files inmany formats.Share work quickly in iWork using the Share menu in each application.Just click Share to email your documents in iWork, Microsoft Office, or PDF formats using Mac OS X Mail"Emphasis is mine.

Guest LilBambi

Liz, if it is indeed a .pages file from iWorks, you could rename the file .zip instead of .pages and then you could see what is in it. Apparently, like .xls files, .pages files are a compilation of files. So if you rename to zip, and open with winzip or unrar, then you can see what's in it.source at macrumors forum

Thanks Fran. I'll test that too.It is interesting to me that frapper sent me a link to another forum where in 2009, I figured out changing .pages to pdf before sending from an Apple would work! Looks like my thinking is pretty rigid.Sometimes I may not be able to contact the sender so it is good to know I can change it on my end and make it readable.Fantastic. It worked very well! Inside the preview folder was the pdf, the same as my husband printed out last night with the graphics and formatting exactly the same.

Edited by zlim