Can't startx

SueD

I got me a new video card and gosh-darn-it-all, after installing it and booted into PCLos, no KDE! There was nothing but text and I had to sign in. Fine, signed in, entered my password, tried to startx when I got the following message...

Fatal Server Error:no screens foundXIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0" after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
What did I do wrong? :thumbsdown:

V.T. Eric Layton

Of course, Sue. Your PCLinuxOS operating system was set up to operate with the hardware that you had previously set it up on. If you change that hardware, you need to let the operating system know, too. Otherwise, things go kerflooey, as you are noticing. What type of video card did you install?

But why don't I have to tell Slackware about the new hardware? So how do I go about telling PCLos that something's changed?I bought a GeForce 6200.

Thanks Striker, off to do some reading now.The new card's an nvidia. It's brand new, bought today. Heck, it even has that new video card smell to it. :thumbsdown:

V.T. Eric Layton

You were probably running generic drivers in Slackware. And Slack may be working fine with this new card, but it reality you're NOT getting accelerated graphics unless you've installed the Nvidia drivers in Slack.About the PCLos... you may have been running generics with that previous vid hardware also. The high perf Nvidia card might not like generic "vesa" type drivers. You'll probably need to install the Nvidia drivers for PCLos, too. It's not a big deal. I'm sure someone here can walk you through it. I can help you with Slack, but I'm not that familiar with the methods for PCLos.Later...

Hey Sue, If it is a newer card you may want to try the 100.x.x nVidia dkms package in syanptic. It works great for my Geforce 7600Gt :thumbsdown: Tommy

Thanks Eric, I think I can figure out how to get it working in Slack but if not, I know where to find youThanks Tommy, I look into that!.

Any progress yet Sue ? ;)
Thanks for asking Striker. Answer is, I'm not sure.As Tommy suggested, I installed the 100.x.x nVidia dkms package. I went into the PCC->Hardware and configured the 3D desktop effects. Then I rebooted. How do I know it's working? ;)

Sue you will see the nVidia logo splash just before X starts. Also it was updated today. It will ask to restart X for you just agree so you want have to reboot. Also now under -system -configuration- hardware there will be a windows like nVidia settings ;) 2001018935310526003_th.jpg Tommy

Edited by tommyj12

yep, just before KDE itself starts, there will be a nvidia splash screen visible, sometimes only short, sometimes a bit longer. After that KDE gets started. The nvidia screen looks similar to this:http://www.smtechnologie.com/logitheque/up...photos/1953.jpgDo a :

$ glxinfo | grep rendering

in a console to see if 3D is enabled. ;)You also might try the 'glxgears' command in a terminal. Look for the 3 moving gears in a separate window and watch the framerates in the console. You can quit it with CTRL + C.

Tommy...yup, doing the updates now. I did see the splash screen briefly so that part I know is working. But I never noticed the nVidia settings. I'll take a look at those after.Striker...saw the splash screen. I supposed I expected bells and whistles too.LOL Things don't really look that different. Maybe I'm going blind!LOLglxinfo | grep rendering does show that 3D is enabled and I did see the gears, so I guess all is honky-dorey.

I usually test whether 3D is working by playing ppracer or gl-117. :D ;) :( :(
Sounds like something my husband might enjoy. I'll get him on that right away. ;)