Kubuntu question

zlim

Someone I sent a Ubuntu CD to in July has been working with Kubuntu and has decided he wants to install it. I don't run it so as he asks me questions, I'll post what I can't answer here.He plugged in his camera via USB. He was happy it was immediately recognized. Now he wants to know what he has to do to get the pictures from his camera to the computer.He also has music files in crc(?) burned to a CD. He can play the CD in his truck. He wants to play it on his computer also. (I tried to play a CD in PCLos and got all sorts of errors so I'd have to figure out my problem before I could sort his out). Since I don't play CDs under linux, I prefer streaming radio, my priority for this is way at the bottom.Any help appreciated. I will find out if the files are crc because I haven't found anything pertaining to music with that file type.

Someone I sent a Ubuntu CD to in July has been working with Kubuntu and has decided he wants to install it. I don't run it so as he asks me questions, I'll post what I can't answer here.He plugged in his camera via USB. He was happy it was immediately recognized. Now he wants to know what he has to do to get the pictures from his camera to the computer.He also has music files in crc(?) burned to a CD. He can play the CD in his truck. He wants to play it on his computer also. (I tried to play a CD in PCLos and got all sorts of errors so I'd have to figure out my problem before I could sort his out). Since I don't play CDs under linux, I prefer streaming radio, my priority for this is way at the bottom.Any help appreciated. I will find out if the files are crc because I haven't found anything pertaining to music with that file type.
I have no idea what crc means -- but if he plays them in his truck, then it's likely just an audio cd??? Most likely he meant ".cda" -- which is really just an index pointer to where the particular cut starts on an audio cd. If you look at an audio cd with Win Explorer, you'll see files like Track1.cda, etc. Kscd will likely play them, or Xmms. Don't recall what comes on a Kubuntu cd as a media player. As for the camera -- if it is "recognized", then that probably means he got an on-screen icon for a removable device -- KDE generally assumes that any usb device is a usbstick [and windows would recognize his camera as a removable disk] -- so he can probably just click on it to get it to open in Konqueror. After that, just drag the .jpg files off into some folder on hard disk.

As for the camera -- if it is "recognized", then that probably means he got an on-screen icon for a removable device -- KDE generally assumes that any usb device is a usbstick [and windows would recognize his camera as a removable disk] -- so he can probably just click on it to get it to open in Konqueror. After that, just drag the .jpg files off into some folder on hard disk.
In case this does not happen . . . . I think Kumbuntu has a directory called /media . . . . chances are that when you plug in a "removable storage device" ( a camera is such a thing ) that a new folder gets added in /media . . . sometimes called /media/removable or /media/usb-device . . . Anyway have the /media open in the filemanager and plug in the camera and see if there are any changes ;)Another way around this is: type "mount" ( as root ) before plugging in and compare that with the output of "mount" after plugging it in . . . it should show where the camera is mounted. ( In case it does NOT mount, do "fdisk -l" to see how the storage device is called ( /dev/sda1 is the most likely )B) Bruno

Liz, in PCLos i did this, maybe it sets you in the right direction:Basically I got an permission error when trying to play a cd in the drive, that is this week I've just replaced a defective drive for a dvd r-w recorder through which I tried to play the cd.After some fiddling around I got it playing with the embedded mediaplayer in Konqueror. I had to use the pcm slider in KMix for the volume level adjusting. After putting in the cd Konqueror should show this : system:/media/hdc in its addressbar, depending on where your drive is located.(I got two of them in the machine) Then, in the Konqueror window, you'll see (after a delay for reading) some files with .wav extension, that's how Konqueror shows them. Right click on any of them and choose Preview in ... > Embedded Media Player.Then Konqueror window goes grey and shows a play,pause and stop button, only the play button is active, the other two are greyed out. Hit the play button and listen...there should be some music playing now through the speakers.

Thanks. I'll point him to this thread for the camera and I will work on what you said striker to see if I can get a music CD playing. (I gave back the windows computer yesterday so I can concentrate on re-learning linux!)I have two CD-RW/DVDs in my main computer. One is also a DVD burner, the other just plays DVDs. Maybe I will put a CD in both to see what the media section will tell me.

Edited by zlim

Thanks. I'll point him to this thread for the camera and I will work on what you said striker to see if I can get a music CD playing. (I gave back the windows computer yesterday so I can concentrate on re-learning linux!)I have two CD-RW/DVDs in my main computer. One is also a DVD burner, the other just plays DVDs. Maybe I will put a CD in both to see what the media section will tell me.
Hello All! Ok, it has come time for me to come out of the shadows and stop asking Liz to do my dirty work because of my embarrassment of not knowing a darn thing about Linux.I have to give this lady major credit. I have never used anything but Windows as an OS and she actually got me "turned" on to other options by sending me Ubuntu.... I got hooked.I then saw the KDE desktop options of Ubuntu and PCLinux and am currently dabbling in moving from the Live version of one (leaning towards Kubuntu) and actually either using a dual boot or ALL Linux all the time.I actually showed this to my father who also has never used anything but Winders and he is actually dual booting to Kubuntu.Liz has been a great help with getting me in shape but I am having some issue and it could be attributed to the Live version but I do not think so.My questions:1. In testing KUBUNTU it does not have Gimp that I can see. It has Krita and Gwenview. Kubuntu recognizes my camera when I go to System Settings -> Digital Camera it is there as Canon PowerShot A300. But, how do I import the images from the camera to the Kubuntu desktop let's say? I go to find files and folders but where do I browse for this camera (i.e. the Look in section)?FYI, I use Breezy Badger: the 5.10 Release Live version right now.2. As far as the CD thing goes, you are correct. I gave the incorrect file type. They are .cda files. I think Kubuntu needs a codec to play MP3's if I am not mistaken also.3. FTP: I have a website and currently use CuteFTP on my Winders XP system for accessing the files on my host and uploading, modifying, etc. Now here is the question/issue. I cannot seem to use the basic "ftp://cpfools.com/ yadda yadda from Linux terminal to log in to my host because my username is cpadmin@cpfools.com and it does not seem to know how to process this request with an @ sign in my username from the command or browser.I think I am forced to use a FTP Client. Any recommendations?Again, thank you to all of you for your input and a very special thanks to Liz/zlim for doing my dirty work.

HI CPWelcome to Linux my friend !!! Happy to see that Liz got you this far :DAlso welcome to the forum . . . hope you will feel at home soon.First the FTP question, I did put in a reply yesterday in here: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=14789 2nd post . . .with screenshot . . . . seeing that you use Kumbuntu you have KDE so better use a KDE default FTP tool ;)Next the Camera . . . . can you plug in the camera, then open a terminal and type "mount" and next copy and paste the answer the terminal gives you in your next post ??( Copy and Paste in Linux is easy, see: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...f=14&t=503&st=3 )We will tackle the CD thing later . . . that is maybe a bit more complicated ;):huh: BrunoPS: If things go too fast . . . . just tell us to explain again . . . . we will be glad to !

Thank you for the warm welcome. I am currently at work right now but will be sure and update my results of your suggestions here tonight when I get home.

Okay C_P . . . just remember, don't hesitate to ask again if things are not clear ( sometimes we assume people to know things they could not possibly know :huh: ):D Bruno

THANKS striker! :thumbsup: I'm now listening to my Annie Lennox CD in PCLos! I put Celine in one drive and Annie in the other. KsCD pops up and the sound of breaking glass (let's say it is user error because I think I told KsCD to take control yesterday). Then Konquerer does indeed show me system:/media/hdc (top) and system:/media/hdd for the bottom. I selected preview and embedded media player and it played 1 song. Then I got brave and started looking in the other folders. I opened the full CD and right-clicked the wav entry - now the entire CD plays without having to click each song individually. Now to write my notes so when I try this again in another month, I can figure out how to do it. :) C_P, tell your Dad to get over here and join in all the linux fun. :thumbsup:

You did a great job Liz getting those 2 over to the Linux side ( where computing is still fun :thumbsup: ) . . .major kudos to you !:thumbsup: Bruno@ C_P: I was thinking that maybe your camera issue would be easier in PCLos . . . . because when you plug in the camera a window should pop up asking if you want to import the pictures :)

I'll send him over here. I figured out the ftp issue. My host uses cpanel too. I use the username I use to log inot cpanel and BAM! I got files in my browser.Hmm PCLos I may have to Live boot tonight to try. It just reminded me waaay to much of XP :)

It just reminded me waaay to much of XP :)
Maybe so . . but without virus and spyware life gets a lot more relaxed :PBut also in Kubuntu you will be able to copy over images from your camera to your computer . . . just learn a few tricks and you will see it is easy as pie.:thumbsup: Bruno

Maybe so . . but without virus and spyware life gets a lot more relaxed :PBut also in Kubuntu you will be able to copy over images from your camera to your computer . . . just learn a few tricks and you will see it is easy as pie.B) Bruno
Gonna be on tonight? I'll tell ya how poorly I get along. ;)Serious guys, great forum here and very helpful. Wish me luck

C_P, Bruno is 10 hours ahead of you so if he checks in before work, you'll be at home. He reads and posts solutions and things eventually get sorted out.striker, I'm looking at this http://www.tuxmagazine.com/node/1000037and I can't figure out why I get no sound from KsCD. I finally got the sound of breaking glass to stop! Instead of cdrom as dev, I replaced that with hdc and the player gathers the name of the album, all the songs on it and the playing times. It just doesn't play. (I have ticked and unticked digital playback). If I manage to get sound, you'll hear me yell from your cold and rainy location.Well, did you hear my yell?This is what finally let me hear the music.I clicked extra in the KsCD player window and selected configure. I didn't touch anything in the first section Interface. In play options, I let the 30 second interval remain and I tried checking and unchecking auto play (without sound it didn't matter). presently autoplay is off but I'll try it again. The last section is mainly where I just kept trying things. This is what works on my computer: /dev/cdrom0 , use direct digital playback is unticked (I tried it ticked and selected arts and then alsa but nothing seemed to work), last select audio device /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 . Now I have music almost as soon as I put in a CD. Thanks to C_P for asking and striker for explaining so I had to try and get this to work as easily as it does under that other OS. B)

Edited by zlim

Hello All!I am actually posting this from the Konqueror browser on PCLinux or PCLos whichever it is called.Even though this distro really feels like XP it has found and configured my printer so I did not have to. The Digicam program is included and it found my pictures and imported them and I think if I would have logged in as Root instead of Guest I would also have been able to play my media CD maybe..Anyway, my question tonight is this, I spoke to my dad tonight on the phone while all of this was going on and he is going to try PCLinux or PCLos whichever it is called Live CD also. He wants to know:He is currently dual booting to Kubuntu and XP Pro. How hard would it be to remove Kubuntu and install PCLinux or PCLos whichever it is called and dual boot to it and XP Pro instad of Kubuntu and XP Pro? Would he just boot to PCLinux or PCLos whichever it is called and format the partition Kubuntu is on and install PCLinux or PCLos whichever it is called on that partion and not touch XP partition?If not, could someone leave "exact" steps in doing this as he will be reading this and registering here (and he is pretty senile in his old age. *Juuust kidding dad!) and would like to know.Again, thank you all very much.

He should be able to install it in the same partition that kubuntu is currently on. PCLos has a how to on the desktop I believe, but he will all ready have a partition for linux and a swap file, so he would just need to know which partition to install to. PClos can be dual booted with windows no problem. Welcome to the forum by the way.

Well, there could be one little snag . . . . . I am not sure the recent versions of PCLos still have this bug, but it used to be that the PCLos bootloader ( Lilo ) had a hard time replacing the one Ubuntu uses ( Grub ).My advise is: try it and if you have problems booting PCLos HD-install because of a corrupt bootloader give the folowing command ( as root ) from the Live CD:

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=446 count=1

This clears the part of the MBR where the bootloader is located and will allow the next PCLos install to write Lilo to the MBR without problems.Another trick is to restore the XP MBR before you do the PCLos install, how to do that is described HereB) BrunoNOTE: Usually it is no problem at all for an installer to replace the previous bootloader, specially not if it both is Lilo or Grub ( the 2 most known Linux bootloaders ) . . . . the only distro that had this issue was/is PCLos in case it had to replace Grub ( replacing another Lilo never was an issue )

PCLinux or PCLos whichever it is called
The proper name of this distribution is PCLinuxOS.Most people call it, pclos, PClos, PCLos, PClinux, pclinux.It's much easier to type.Don't worry about it, use any one of those and people will know what distribution you are talking about. B)

Thanks for that link Liz ! I'll do have to fiddle some more don't I? Well, we'll see later on today when I feel a bit better than I do now, I've got a terrible flue. Arrgh ! B)

Was over my dads last night who while reading this thread clicked on the Use Help icons and install PCLos (picking this name) and read the help which outlined the fdisk possibility and clearing the MBR with a fdisk/MBR command if the PCLos install had trouble (which it did). The instructions were perfect and he was able to delete the Kubuntu partition, fdisk (including clearing boot member) and partition and install PCLos last night successfully! Now get ready for the "user" questions..... Thanks again all! I may have to open a new thread (after doing searches here first of coarse) called New to PCLos, have questions.. :thumbsup:

Edited by C_P

Congrats ! And if there are questions, well you know by now where to find us.You're welcome.

From (K)Ubuntu to PCLos during one short thread... twice. Daym, you guys are good! :P :thumbsup: :hysterical: :hysterical: :devil:
Didn't we mention Mandriva somewhere too.... :w00t: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

Was over my dads last night who while reading this thread clicked on the Use Help icons and install PCLos (picking this name) and read the help which outlined the fdisk possibility and clearing the MBR with a fdisk/MBR command if the PCLos install had trouble (which it did). The instructions were perfect and he was able to delete the Kubuntu partition, fdisk (including clearing boot member) and partition and install PCLos last night successfully! Now get ready for the "user" questions..... Thanks again all! I may have to open a new thread (after doing searches here first of coarse) called New to PCLos, have questions.. :hysterical:
Well CP i made it here so now they can blame YOU if i drive them crazy will all my questions (old man thing). :thumbsup:

Well CP i made it here so now they can blame YOU if i drive them crazy will all my questions (old man thing). :thumbsup:
Welcome Dense ! Just fire up all the questions you have, you're welcome !And eh ... we know where to find CP if you get us really crazy :hysterical: :hysterical: , but no one ever managed that ! Again welcome to the ATL. :hysterical: However, that's an frightening avatar you've got there... :hysterical: Edited by striker

Welcome Dense ! Just fire up all the questions you have, you're welcome !And eh ... we know where to find CP if you get us really crazy :thumbsup: :hysterical: , but no one ever managed that ! Again welcome to the ATL. :hysterical: However, that's an frightening avatar you've got there... :hysterical:
That is my most recent photograph, and thanks. :hysterical:

We're glad you've joined us Dense.I haven't managed to drive Bruno crazy YET, so I can't imagine that you will. I'm impressed, replacing one distro with another! I haven't tackled that one yet. I may if I find something I like better than Mepis.With both you and C_P running the same distro, you are each other's support. Most people's eyes start to glaze over at the mention of linux. I just fire up the computer and they don't know it is running linux (that will teach them!).

We're glad you've joined us Dense.I haven't managed to drive Bruno crazy YET, so I can't imagine that you will. I'm impressed, replacing one distro with another! I haven't tackled that one yet. I may if I find something I like better than Mepis.With both you and C_P running the same distro, you are each other's support. Most people's eyes start to glaze over at the mention of linux. I just fire up the computer and they don't know it is running linux (that will teach them!).
You kidding? I never got a computer until after 50 years old.Also i don't feel so smart i had to format twice before i got it to work, too much of hurry. But if you read the help file to format as you are doing it, its great.

Hi Dense !! . . . . Welcome to the forum and welcome to Linux ! I hear you're a man with courage . . . . . we like that attitude . . . . . . :hysterical: . . . . Now I am reading that you might maybe have some questions . . . . . . . Lucky enough: we do Like questions too :hysterical: I have the feeling that we will be getting along just fine . . . . ;):hysterical: Bruno