BootIt Vs other Boot Managers

kamicota

Hi :'( AllAny Ideas an experiences with other Booy Manager/Partioning SoftwarePartition Magic 8.0 has glitches in itI know Prtition Commander from V-Com origionally Ontrack which left me a little confused :) So any words of wisdom on what is out there and suitable with Linux before BootIt becomes an aquisition or is that the Impetuous Scorpio again :thumbsup: Colin :blink:

Hi ColinSorry I always use Lilo . . . does the job fer me . . :DAnd for the partitioner, since you can run Knoppix . . . . I just downloaded 3.3 and ran it to see it has QTParted by default and it works well to do the partitioning . . . . Now, you told me you can run Knoppix on your system, so I do not see why you would not go that way . . . ( QTParted is a clone from PartitionMagic and specially suited for Linux )B) Bruno

Hi  :)  AllAny Ideas an experiences with other Booy Manager/Partioning SoftwarePartition Magic 8.0 has glitches in itI know Prtition Commander from V-Com origionally Ontrack which left me a little confused  B) So any words of wisdom on what is out there and suitable with Linux before BootIt becomes an aquisition or is that the Impetuous Scorpio again  o:) Colin  B)
Hello ColinI happen to be a Scorpio Nov 10th. I have used pretty much all of the different partition managers, Boot managers, and both free ones and retail ones. I use Power Quests Partition magic many many times a day and it works great for me most of the time. I use version 8.0 I also use the Boot Magic that comes with it. I have used PQ software since about version 4.0 paying for the upgrades as they came out. When PQ partition magic does not work I use Bootit NG which is a lot cheaper (shareware) 30 day trial and it does the job only does not have the fancy pretty GUI that PG's PM has. Now for a really neat program that is free. Download a program called ULTIMATE BOOT CD. it is 56 MB in size and will make a bootable CD that will do everything just about. Creat Partitions, resize partition, Format in any Format, Linux, Windows, BSD, UNix, it will test hard drives and has utils to change ata33, 66, 100, and 133 for all brands of hard drives. it has several tools and utils to get into almost any OS or partition. I used it on a hard drive that had a hidden locked partition along with linux. It was a clients computer that had preinstalled XP on a HP pavilion. I use Boot magic most of the time for boot manager if I am booting with any ms windows installed as it will auto find my linux partitions with out any editing. On pure linux machines I like to use Bootit NG because you can have 200 or more Primary Partitions and it will do the job on drives as big as 2 or more terabytes. Download the trial version and try it.Mel :)

Thanx  :D  MelI have the Ultimate Boot CD but  :D  did not find a partitioning programGuess  B)  I'll have to look againColin  :o
The partitioning software is located under (File Systems) qtparted is one and another simple one is there also.Mel :D

Partition/System Commander is original VComm. System Suite/Fix-it Utilities are Ontrack but bought by VComm.One product you may want to look at is Acronis Partition Expert. Like PM it is a Windows applications, but it works better with Linux partitions.It is also good to now learn Linux partition tools like fdisk/cfdisk and boot managers LILO, because very soon you will be getting rid of your Windows.

It is also good to now learn Linux partition tools like fdisk/cfdisk and boot managers LILO
I have to agree with you there b2cm . . . use Linux tools for Linux . . . . . :D !!:o Bruno

Hi All :D Moon- Ranish would not format the Reiserfs partitionBruno - fdisk & cfdisk give me the willies, :D could never susscessfully use them in WindowsB2cm - Will have to see if Acronis has a downloadMel - Somehow I missed QParted in Ultimate boot disk will have to take another SquizzieMel - Bootit NG Does not allow me to format the reiserfs partitionThankx again :D it looks as if the Journey continues :( Colin :(

The easiest is from Mandrake. Why not run Mandrake on the Move or PC Linux OS V and then use their Control Center to do your formatting? When you are done you can go to the distro of your choice. You can do it all from a GUI that way.Julia :D

Acronis interface is like Partition Magic. Just select the partition and right-click for the Format option. Or you can just select the ReiserFS partition, delete it and create a new partition as ReiserFS. Colin let me check. Will have to boot into XP.

If what you mean by NO FORMAT is that this option is greyed out under the DISK submenu, this means that you have not selected any partition. To select, just click on the partition (either in the table or the chart below it) you want to format. Then choose ReiserFS or any other file system you want.

Thanx B2cm*1) I was worried about trying deleting a partition :D * 2) There is NO FORMAT in the Disk menu drop down boxBut will give delete a try now :D :D :( Colin :(

HECK :( :( :o Can't even delete 'cause only Set Password and Exit in the Disk drop down Box :o :D :D I'm fast thinking to borrow friends Mandrake install cd 's and try Drake from there :( :D :( Colin :D

I made out find creating my partitions with BootIt before SuSE install. BootIt lets you create Native Linux type partitions--then in SuSE install you choose the partition and the mount point and reformat to ReiserFS or whatever you want.

Okay. Elizabeth is right. you can use any partition manager to delete your ReiserFS and create in its place an Ext2 (or Native Linux) partition. And then when you install Suse point the setup to this partition and format it as ReiserFS. (Xandros formats the partition as ReiserFS, no option.)Maybe the Suse folks here can give you a more detailed step-by-step guide on how to do this.

Sorry to interrupt, but one quick question regarding BootMagic. Can you still install it after you've installed both OSs and are using GRUB, or does it have to be installed before OS installation. And you don't have to edit it when you add another distro?

I like to use Bootit NG because you can have 200 or more Primary Partitions and it will do the job on drives as big as 2 or more terabytes.
mhbell, have you reached that limit yet? :thumbsup:

yep B2cm & Elizabeth BUT It is Suse 8.2 with it's --->>> Loading kernel...EBDA too big :thumbsup: that does not allow it to load that I NEED to Re format this particular partition for an Install of Suse 9.0And Bootit download will NOT let me format that partition againColin :)

Sorry to interrupt, but one quick question regarding BootMagic.  Can you still install it after you've installed both OSs and are using GRUB, or does it have to be installed before OS installation.  And you don't have to edit it when you add another distro?
I like to use Bootit NG because you can have 200 or more Primary Partitions and it will do the job on drives as big as 2 or more terabytes.
mhbell, have you reached that limit yet? :thumbsup:
Yes you can install Boot Magic after you have installed windows and as long as Grub is in its own partition and not the MBR you could use Boot magic to boot to Linux instead of grub. The boot magic will install itself on a fat or fat32 partition. you can disable boot manager at anytime and revert back to the way the mbr was befor boot magic was installed. you make a rescue disk when you install it. as each distro of linux is installed you put lilo or grub in the root partition or boot partition of the linux distro you are installing. Not in the MBR it makes no difference if it is grub or lilo. boot magic will find it for you and give you a boot menu so that you can set the number of seconds delay to give you time to choose which distro you want to boot. It also lets you name each partition that you want to boot. IE SuSE, MDK, Vector, ECT.Hope this helps. I think that you could install Boot Magic even if Grub is in the MBR. However it may not boot linux when it is enabled unless you move grub to the root partition. I am not sure on this so check it out first or move grub to the root partition of linux. then install boot magic and it will find it.Mel :) PS I have not reached 200 pri parts yet only 36 :)

Hey Mel et al :lol: Just another notch in the Suse TravelsUsed Boot It NG dleted Partion and reformatted it Don't know if it was the right format Linux Native I thinkReinstalled Suse 8.2 BUT now NO Internet connection through the RouterFast coming to the Idea of Purchasing BooIt NGThink I will once again Delete the Suse Partiton and just try and persevere with Xandros for a while as the new Printer arrives 26th/27th along with Suse 9 And in order to have access thro' Linux Xandros has to be installed Last as I still didn't master the Suse Install with out my friendHo Hum still motoring along aren't we :lol: :lol: :o :w00t: Colin :D

Guess What :w00t: No More Suse for whatever reasons Reinstalled Xandros in the Suse Partion that I had deleted with BootIt and now that partition is Xandros and still have the Old Xandros 2 2 as Xandros Boot Manager applies to itShoot do things ever happen QUICKLY :lol: :D :lol: Looks like my ides to go TOTALLY LINUX just got a boost when MY Windows 98SE was sold today.They say CHANGE is good for the Soul well with all that's going on here we must be in for an even MORE EXCITING RIDE :o Still having palpitaions about the full transition though will have to see if the FULLY Linux Compatible Epson C80 sets up OK in Xandros 26th/27th Hopefully.Colin :lol:

Sorry to interrupt, but one quick question regarding BootMagic. Can you still install it after you've installed both OSs and are using GRUB, or does it have to be installed before OS installation.
You cannot install BootMagic without Windows although you can set up its files in another partition, i.e. in one of the logical partition. If GRUB is installed, Boot Magic will take over the Master Boot Record and pick up the bootable partitions on its own. Using GRUB or LILO thereafter will "disable" BootMagic. But running "bmcfg.exe" in BTMAGIC.PQ folder will allow you to just tick "BootMagic Enabled" and click "Save/Exit" button so BootMagic takes over the MBR again.
And you don't have to edit it when you add another distro?
You need to run "bmcfg.exe" again after you install a new bootable partition, and click the "Add" button. It will show you all the bootable partitions. (Ticking off "Advanced" will show you all partitions.) What is important, for all boot managers I suppose, is that during the Linux install you should always install LILO in the partition's boot block or superblock and not in the MBR---because that is where the boot managers look. (Mandrake and Slackware always gives that option during setup. Xandros always keeps a copy of the boot info in the superblock.) If you have existing Linux partitions, you must edit lilo.conf and run LILO to install boot info in the superblock before you run the boot manager.Having more than 4 primary partition is one of the most touted feature of BootItNG. If you want to use more than a hundred copies of Windows versions on a single disk, you would need this partitioning voodoo because Windows by default, and was naturally designed to, install on primary partitions. This is, for example, useful for people who do software compatibility test (same hardware, OS setup but different software mix).But if you are a Linux user, this is not necessary because distros install on logical partitions fine. (You could be asking for major trouble, too, when your BootItNG files/partition gets messed up.)

I'm not quite sure what you mean by trouble, but all you have to do is reinstall BootIt if you mess up its partition. You can boot from the install diskette/CD and just do a reinstall. :w00t:

Yeah Elizabeth :D Confusing to me too. Simply I HOPE :rolleyes: --->>>Installing Suse after Xandros Suse's Boot Manager took Control and laid dormant BootIt and did not give me an option of Xandros.I have BootIt's floppy and KNOW I can restart it at any time and will.It took me a while to overcome FEAR :blink: of Deleting a pertion, the mind jusrtt could not get round that Finally did though & created a linux Native partion & reinstalled Xandros in the Old larger Suse Partition.Am HAPPY B) with this set up until I have my new printer and camera up and running and AM PrintingBut the recent CUPS Post again sends shivers on how Xandros will wet up the new Totally Compatible Epson C80Boy wish I could STOP o:) B) :o RUNNING off at the mouth :D Colin B)

I'm not quite sure what you mean by trouble, but all you have to do is reinstall BootIt if you mess up its partition.
I was referring just to special primaries that BootItNG sets up. (I had a very bad experience years ago. No, reinstalling BootITNG didn't help.) It is a solid tool but as for that special feature it should be used very carefully, only by those who know BootItNG very well, and where BootItNG alone is used for all partition/boot work.

Well B2cmAll I have found with BootIt NG (and I LIKE it B) ) is I can Delete a partion, create it into a Linux Native.And also do a Restore with BootIt's Floppy.I think for now that is all I need until Windows comes off HOPEFULLY soon ;) and I have a 6G, 12G, and 1G partitions to play withLike Julias ;) ideas use some of this space for fat32 format to keep my valuable can't be Lost Graphics, Poems, and Downloads.Don't think I need to Back up the whole system for now as I have two Xandros's Installed, ;) ;) :D Isn't that NEAT :D Colin B)

OOPS :blink: B2cmDid try Delete then Create Silly ME ;) in AcronisMind Acronis is installed in Windows and that is going ByeByes soon and don't think it will install on just a fat32 partition Will it ? :blink: Colin :D