Photo

Shaving Retro

Yesterday, 04:54 PM

During the 1980s people seemed to think that what I really needed, was more shaving gear, Just about every “gifting” occasion produced at least one shaving accessory kit. I have a drawer full of aftershave lotions, and fancy handles for Atra, and Trac II, blade cartridges.

Of course I was obliged to use them.

Fortunately, my local supermarket carried “store brand” blades that would fit either one for considerably less than the overpriced brand name blade cartridges.

It seems that these days, a modern razor needs at least three to five cutting edges. The generic two blade cartridges have just been discontinued.

I looked at the alternatives.
I’m NOT going to pay $20 for stupid razor blades.

For some reason they still carry the old fashioned double edge blades that prehistoric safety razors used. They’re less than $4 for a package of ten.

I scrounged around in my basement and found:
  • An old Schick safety razor  with a damaged plastic handle (vintage unknown)

• A Gillette “Super Speed” (date code indicates 3rd quarter 1956, about when I started shaving).

• A Gillette “Slim Adjustable” (date code indicates 1st quarter 1966, I was young lieutenant)

• A package of rusty generic “Blue Blades”.

• A package of Schick stainless blades with one blade left.
I grabbed the stainless blade, and both Gillette razors, cleaned them up, and put the blade in the adjustable. It works just as well as it did in the ‘60s, before the myths about multiple cutting edges was propagated.

When it’s time to change blades, I have every intention of trying the 1956 razor, and finding out that the “adjustable” feature was just a sales gimmick.

BTW: It seems that old Gillette razors have become collectors items. (That’s why I was able to date them). Originally priced at $2 and change, they’re going for hundreds at auctions. If my wife had ever found them, she would have thrown them out.

I wonder what happened to my grandfather’s straight razor?

28 Views · 2 Replies ( Last reply by V.T. Eric Layton )

Photo

Upgrading my Computer

11 Nov 2018

Posted by mhbell in Bruno's All Things Linux
Has any of the forum members built a computer using a AMD AM4 Ryzen cpu? Was wondering about compatibility. I do know that some of the motherboards have stability problems with linux and the Ryzen cpu. I am planning on using a Ryzen am4 2000G and a Asus B450 Pro 4 Motherboard with patriot dd4 3000 Mhz memory. Any comments, suggestions welcome and appreciated. My only worrys are compatibility with Linux. I run linux Mint 19 as my primary OS.
Mel

71 Views · 7 Replies ( Last reply by raymac46 )

Photo

Updated Debian 9: 9.6 released

11 Nov 2018

Posted by securitybreach in Bruno's All Things Linux

Updated Debian 9: 9.6 released

November 10th, 2018

The Debian project is pleased to announce the sixth update of its stable distribution Debian 9 (codename stretch). This point release mainly adds corrections for security issues, along with a few adjustments for serious problems. Security advisories have already been published separately and are referenced where available.

Please note that the point release does not constitute a new version of Debian 9 but only updates some of the packages included. There is no need to throw away old stretch media. After installation, packages can be upgraded to the current versions using an up-to-date Debian mirror.

Those who frequently install updates from security.debian.org won't have to update many packages, and most such updates are included in the point release.

New installation images will be available soon at the regular locations.

Upgrading an existing installation to this revision can be achieved by pointing the package management system at one of Debian's many HTTP mirrors. A comprehensive list of mirrors is available at:

https://www.debian.org/mirror/list

https://www.debian.o...s/2018/20181110

50 Views · 2 Replies ( Last reply by securitybreach )

Latest Discussions

Site Navigation

Online Users

0 members, 76 visitors and 0 anonymous users

Google, Bing

Portal v1.1.0 by DevFuse | Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS