Recommend FAX receipt SW?

jeffw_00

Hi - I'm starting to suspect that my old incoming FAX SW is causing me problems on my 2.4GHz P-IV WIN98SE machine - it's an old copy of FaxTalk whose sole advantages were that it was free, small, easy to use, automatic, and lived in the systray. Of course, it keeps faxes in an arcane internal format, and makes it hard to put them somewhere else in a useful format, and I think it may be messing up some other new SW I'm running.Anyway - can anyone recommend a small, just-does-one-thing-and-does-it-well, program for automatically receiving faxes (I have a USR V.92 external fax modem), for no more than $20 (need a free trial) that lives in the systray (so it can't be terminated by accident). Thanks!/j[i use microsoft Fax for outgoing - path of least resistance, but I don't want to set up exchange for incoming - WAY too complicated]

Guest LilBambi

There are several in your price range listed here on Download.comIncluding:Just The Fax 2.9z - $20Snappy Fax 2000 3.13.3.2 - $19Fax UserControl for WinFax/TalkWorks 1.10 - FREE

And has anyone been able to make any of these work?I had Microsoft Fax in the old days (win95) and it worked like a charm. After going to Win98, and on up through XP, I have tried several (some that came with modems and some shareware or retail) and have NEVER been able to get one that worked reliably. Most just plain didn't work at all. Seemed they were more interested in putting a bunch of bells and whistles (mailboxes, voicemail, fax-back, etc...) into the software than they were in getting the software to work!Of course, nowadays, a fax machine costs as little as $39 (I think I saw one in the "impulse buy" rack next to the checkstand at Kmart the other day! ;)), so that seems a good way to go!I'd be interested in hearing back if you do find one that works!d|:^)Dick

Yes, I have. Back in 1998 I bought an external USR 56K Faxmodem (the very sleek, black one that looks like an answering machine) that came bundled with Symantec WinFax Pro 8.0/Talkworks 2.0. It has been my voicemail system for almost 5 years. WinFax and Talkworks work wonderfully in Windows XP, too. Too bad Symantec killed Talkworks because it is a very good fax/voicemal system. Both apps actually seem more stable running on XP than it ever did in Windows 98. I actually bought WinFax 10 before I moved to XP in the anticipation that WF8 wouldn't work in XP. Although it's great for sending and receiving faxes, I missed TalkWorks so much I re-installed WF8. Now, WF10 sits on a shelf having only ran for a few days. It ranks up there as one of my worst software investments.