Jump to content


TrackMania Nations Forever now available for linux

games linux trackmania snaps

  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

    Thread Kahuna

  • Forum MVP
  • 5,616 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 06:08 AM

TrackMania Nations Forever Available As A Snap Application



Quote

Good news for penguin users, TrackMania Nations Forever has been released on edge channel as a snap package this information came first on snapcraft.io forum site. Most of Linux users never heard about Track Mania, because it is only available for Windows, Nintendo DS, Wii, PlayStation 4 e Xbox One users. ​

You must be asking yourself if this is only available for windows how did we get it on Linux?
I managed to install the snapd program on Arch but the game would not install. Had a missing file or folder or some such. I could not be bothered sorting the fault as the whole idea is that everything should be contained in the snap so no fiddling about is needed. Buntu based users may have better results.

:breakfast:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#2 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

    Thread Kahuna

  • Forum MVP
  • 5,616 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 11:27 AM

Game play update

In the interest of fairness and cos I usually make a few slip ups along the way. I decided to have another go at installing snapd and the game.

It seems that I forgot to reboot after installing snapd which is why things did not run smoothly. So this time I followed the instructions to the letter and snapd installed ok and so did the game.
The graphics are top notch in the game and it runs as smooth as silk. Gaming is fairly simple with movement controlled  from the arrow keys. The game loaded very quickly on my rig. Not much else to say except this is a good quality time waster with tons of single player gaming.
I did not try out the on-line gaming so can not comment as to servers or other players. :breakfast:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   sunrat

sunrat

    Thread Kahuna

  • Forum Moderators
  • 5,658 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:10 PM

I spent many hours playing this game years ago on Windows. Heaps of manic fun. Online games can be crazy with up to 24 players per race iirc and it's really hard to win. However I'm refusing to use snap on principle so would rather boot into Windows to play it.
There was a similar game called ManiaDrive which worked on Linux years ago. It still has a website but nothing new since 2006. Although Trackmania Nations is similar vintage.
http://maniadrive.raydium.org/
registered Linux user number 324659  ||    The importance of Reading The *Fine* Manual! :D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.

#4 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

    Thread Kahuna

  • Forum MVP
  • 5,616 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 04:25 AM

View Postsunrat, on 08 June 2018 - 08:10 PM, said:

I spent many hours playing this game years ago on Windows. Heaps of manic fun. Online games can be crazy with up to 24 players per race iirc and it's really hard to win. However I'm refusing to use snap on principle so would rather boot into Windows to play it.
There was a similar game called ManiaDrive which worked on Linux years ago. It still has a website but nothing new since 2006. Although Trackmania Nations is similar vintage.
http://maniadrive.raydium.org/

Ha ha it is pretty addictive I won bronze , silver and gold medals for the first eight tracks and thought , hmmm better stop now. :Laughing:

I think I have tried out Mania Drive some time in the past but am not sure. The repository last had an entry in 2013, last forum post in 2016 and last entry on the Live

Posted Image

Scores was today. Looks like it is still played by some folk at least. :breakfast:

Edited by abarbarian, 09 June 2018 - 04:48 AM.

Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   Hedon James

Hedon James

    Topic Cop

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 08:40 AM

View Postsunrat, on 08 June 2018 - 08:10 PM, said:

I spent many hours playing this game years ago on Windows. Heaps of manic fun. Online games can be crazy with up to 24 players per race iirc and it's really hard to win. However I'm refusing to use snap on principle so would rather boot into Windows to play it.
There was a similar game called ManiaDrive which worked on Linux years ago. It still has a website but nothing new since 2006. Although Trackmania Nations is similar vintage.
http://maniadrive.raydium.org/

Not looking to question your judgement, but curious as to what the principle is that discourages you from using snap packages?

#6 OFFLINE   sunrat

sunrat

    Thread Kahuna

  • Forum Moderators
  • 5,658 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 08:44 PM

View PostHedon James, on 09 June 2018 - 08:40 AM, said:

Not looking to question your judgement, but curious as to what the principle is that discourages you from using snap packages?
You know they found a bitcoin miner in a snap recently. They are not properly security tested. Also, because they include dependencies in the package, they are often huge compared to native packages which use system libraries. One example which came up recently at MX was Telegram which was a 300MB package (maybe appimage but same same) whereas the native was 70MB. It's from the Windows mindset - convenience over efficiency.
I'm avoiding Appimages and Flatpaks for the same reason.
There was a long thread over at Debian forums where there was maybe a 50/50 split over using them with most of the more experienced contributors saying they will avoid them.
registered Linux user number 324659  ||    The importance of Reading The *Fine* Manual! :D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.

#7 OFFLINE   Hedon James

Hedon James

    Topic Cop

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 09:58 PM

aha...I understand now.  It sounded like your issue was limited to snap packages, so I was trying to understand why you would prefer Flatpaks or AppImgs to Snaps.  I also prefer native packages.  Although I think it would be interesting to use a SLOW rolling release distro, but with SNAPS/FLATS on top of that for the latest & greatest software packages.

For instance, I think I'd be VERY interested in a slow rolling Debian distro, but the ability to SNAP LibreOffice 7 onto that, or Firefox 70, or whatever....but the option to NOT upgrade to LibreOffice 8 SNAP, because LO 7 suits me just perfect.  At least I THINK that would be a cool distro.  JMO...

#8 OFFLINE   sunrat

sunrat

    Thread Kahuna

  • Forum Moderators
  • 5,658 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 10:35 PM

They seem to be mainly for SNS syndrome.
MX has a much better approach to that. If you want a newer package than what's in the repo or even one that's not there at all, just ask the devs and they will attempt to backport or build it and add it to the repo. B)
They have a "Package Requests" section on the forum.
registered Linux user number 324659  ||    The importance of Reading The *Fine* Manual! :D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.

#9 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

    CLI Phreak

  • Forum Admins
  • 23,845 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 01:57 PM

View Postsunrat, on 10 June 2018 - 08:44 PM, said:

View PostHedon James, on 09 June 2018 - 08:40 AM, said:

Not looking to question your judgement, but curious as to what the principle is that discourages you from using snap packages?
You know they found a bitcoin miner in a snap recently. They are not properly security tested. Also, because they include dependencies in the package, they are often huge compared to native packages which use system libraries. One example which came up recently at MX was Telegram which was a 300MB package (maybe appimage but same same) whereas the native was 70MB. It's from the Windows mindset - convenience over efficiency.
I'm avoiding Appimages and Flatpaks for the same reason.
There was a long thread over at Debian forums where there was maybe a 50/50 split over using them with most of the more experienced contributors saying they will avoid them.

I think the same thing Sunrat! :thumbup:
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984





Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: games, linux, trackmania, snaps

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users