Norton Internet Security 2003

anthonyd

Hi all,Here's my question...in Norton Internet Security 2003, I entered an URL into the Restricted Zone to prevent access to my computer. It seems to work if I try to access that URL using IE or Netscape -- outside of AOL -- BUT, today I tried contacting the URL within AOL and surprisingly I was able to reach the Web site.I'm wondering if I found a flaw in NIS 2003 (doubtful) OR if I just don't have it set correctly to interact properly with AOL...For myself, it's no big deal as I'm the only user on this PC -- but if someone were using NIS 2003 and AOL this might be a big deal.So - did I find a flaw or just not have the sw configured correctly?

I'm not big fan of AOL, I must confess. It installs its own components in the network stack and, to be frank, I didn't test NIS 2003 with AOL. :huh:I would expect that, especially if you have AOL Broadband, you will have lots of problems like this and some or all firewalls. I've heard of connectivity problems on networks where only the AOL installed computers can use AOL Broadband. It's really pathetic. But even if you just have the standard AOL client installed, my guess would be that there could be problems like this because of the way the client installs. It does a VPN-like thing in how it configures networking, and it will not work if you tinker with the way it configures networking.All that said, I don't know for sure that NIS 2003 won't handle AOL. Did you install AOL before or after NIS? If after, you might want to try uninstalling NIS and then reinstalling it.Frankly, too, configuring this sort of thing is a NIS 2003 weakness. If you post back, I just want to clarify, you didn't use the Web content filtering tool in NIS to block this website, right? Have you tried that?-- Scot

Hi Scot:I've upgraded AOL over the years so I had some version of AOL on here before installing NIS 2003. This is only the AOL 8.0 client under a (non-AOL) dial-up Internet connection.In poking around NIS, I found some options which I turned on, but then it seemed that everything I did on the PC was causing an alert box to pop-up (Norton's recommendation for those options was "off").The option I was using was under Personal Firewall > Configure > Home Networking > Restricted Zone. If I'm not using AOL client (note, that I don't have AOL as my ISP either -- just the client), both IE and Netscape are blocked from accessing this particular site. But, when I used AOL and the IE-like client it uses, I was easily able to access this particular site. I'm sure it's a configuration issue on my part, but you'd think NIS would automatically configure itself to work with AOL -- considering so many people use it with a good portion using it as their ISP, too.

Thanks, ant. :) Will you be able to communicate with us about any workarounds in the meantime, or at least let us know when a solution is found?We appreciate your taking the time to check into this.-- Scot

A follow-up...I was told that this is by designed because AOL software/Web browser uses a non-standard HTTP for blocking home networking settings. CompuServe's software is also affected.I hope this helps.