ActionTec PM560LKi modem on mdk 9.2

dvd

I was sent here by a user of another forum who told me I might get lucky here. I have a ActionTec PM560LKi modem on a Mandrake 9.2 system, and I've tried quite a few things already, most of which I don't remember and didn't work. The chips on the bottom of the modem say "Agere", which is or used to be Lucent or a subsidiary thereof. The system is calling it a "Venus winmodem (v90, 56kflex) by Lucent Microelectronics, and putting it under "unknown/other" in harddrak. I installed an RPM from the "christoph" page (maybe u know of it?) that was made for Lucents and Mdk9.2. No go. However, now, when I run kppp, setup, then modem->query modem, it runs ATI query on /dev/ttyS1 and S0, tells me it works, and tells me "}Wmkm" and assorted other similar things in all 8 boxes. What's going on? OK, next, I try to connect, using /dev/ttyS1. Kppp tells me: Modem ready. Then it gives me "Initializing Modem" for about two minutes (maybe it's only 1?) before informing me that it timed out. It doesn't even PRETEND to dial. What gives? They tell me elsewhere (winmodems are not linmodems--I've been there, please don't send me there again without specific links, I can't figure out half of it) that my PM560LKi is know to work on Linux. Well I'd sure like to know how. Any or all advice on this topic (Newbie-friendly, please, I'm a WinRefugee composing on a win98) would be greatly appreciated--especially advice that leads to an internet connection! :) Preferably, I'd like not to recompile my kernel... things like that scare me. :D And on that topic, I don't have a /usr/src/linux folder. /usr/src/RPM exists, but it's the only thing there. I don't know how to install source from CD, or even if it's on 1 of the three. PLEASE HELP!!! :lol: Thank you very much. I was gettin' desperate there.

Hi dvdWelcome to the forum . . hope we can help you ;)If the things Owyn posted did not help: . . . . I think the problem lies in kppp ( the dialer ) . . .you may want to try another dialer: wvdial . . . that one works better !There is one file you need on your CD and another one on the internet . . . you have to get the one on the net first:libwvstreams-3.70-3mdk.src.rpmInstalling takes an extra command:

rpm --rebuild  libwvstreams-3.70-3mdk.src.rpm

( as root ) that will make a "normal" RPM you can install with

rpm -ihv  libwvstreams-3.70-3mdk.rpm

After you installed that one you install "wvdial-1.53-3mdk" from CDThe docs you need will be installed in "/usr/share/doc/wvdial-1.53"Recently ( yesterday ) Rolana did the same in this thread: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...=ST&f=14&t=5462And a bit longer ago Rons ( Who aldo posts on the forum you come from :thumbsup: ) in this thread: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...=1713&hl=wvdialHope you will manage . . . . :blink: Bruno

PS:Hi dvd . . I just see that libwvstreams is on your CD too ( CD3 ) . . .so that may be more simple . . :thumbsup: . . all the files you need are on CD . . . .so just install it in the Mandrake Control Center.:blink: BrunoPS2: From what I remember "wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf" is the command to configure wvdial . . . but you will have to either read the docs or ask Rons or rolanaj

Here's the reaction I got from ./MAKEDEV... That was one of the ones I'd tried a few times already. As you can see, no go.[dvd@localhost dvd]$ cd /dev[dvd@localhost dev]$ suPassword: [i entered it][root@localhost dev]# ./MAKEDEV ttyS4bash: ./MAKEDEV: No such file or directoryNext, I RPM'd wvdial, then ran 'er. The reaction:[dvd@localhost dvd]$ wvdial--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.53--> Warning: section [Dialer Defaults] does not exist in wvdial.conf.--> Cannot open /dev/modem: Device or resource busy--> Cannot open /dev/modem: Device or resource busy--> Cannot open /dev/modem: Device or resource busyJust read your latest post. Do I NEED to config it?

K, that last line was ignorant. I tried the conf. This is the reaction:

[dvd@localhost dvd]$ wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.confScanning your serial ports for a modem.ttyS0<Info>: Device or resource busyPort Scan<*1>: S0ttyS1<Info>: Device or resource busyPort Scan<*1>: S1ttyS3<Info>: Device or resource busyPort Scan<*1>: S3ttyS4<Info>: Device or resource busyPort Scan<*1>: S4Sorry, no modem was detected!  Is it in use by another program?Did you configure it properly with setserial?Please read the FAQ at http://open.nit.ca/wvdial/If you still have problems, send mail to wvdial-list@lists.nit.ca.
Do I still have problems! :thumbsup:

Hi dvdThe docs are located in /usr/share/doc/wvdial-1.53 . . . . I do not have the docs . . if you can copy the parts you do not understand we can help you.:thumbsup: Bruno

I actually ended up getting online with kppp. In Kppp I had to change some default settings on the modem commands tab mostlypre init delay was moved to 150post init delay to 150dial speed to 70This is what I had to do in 9.1 as well but I have a different type of modem too.

Thnx, Rolanaj. No such luck. Bruno, I checked the docs. Unfortunately, my prob is "Device or resource busy... Busy? huh-uh. I'm not using it for anything else. Thanks for askin', Ron. I was beginning to wonder if I'd disappeared. :thumbsup: Any new ideas?

http://www.actiontec.com/support/modems/pc...ml#installlinux
Q: How do I install the modem for Linux? A: Log on to Linux as root. Then type the following command:  # cat /proc/pci The following is an example of information to look for:  Bus  0, device  12, function  0:     Communication controller: Lucent (ex-AT&T)   Microelectronics Unknown device (rev 0).       Vendor id=11c1. Device id=480.       Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 11.         Master Capable.  No bursts.  Min Gnt=252.Max Lat=14.       Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe0800000     [0xe0800000].       I/O at 0xa000 [0xa001].       I/O at 0x9800 [0x9801].       I/O at 0x9400 [0x9401]. Write down the first I/O range. The example shows that I/O is 0xa000. The values may vary, depending on the system. Then type  # setserial /dev/ttyS3 port 0xa000 spd_vhi skip_test auto_irq autoconfig and hit enter.  If there are no errors, then type  # setserial /dev/ttyS3 uart 16550A and hit enter.  Select /dev/ttyS3 as the device in whichever dial-up communication program you're using. It should now initialize and operate. Edit the rc.local or rc.serial file located in the /etc/rc.d directory. Add the two setserial lines at the end of the file. Save and reboot the system.
:whistling: Bruno

/dev/ttyS3: no such file or directory.What if there are errors?I'll be back tomorrow.  Tried that 1 already, 2.  Thanks anyway, Bruno.  Btw, its a PCI modem.
Hi dvdI know it is a PCI modem . . >_< . . /dev/ttyS0 to /dev/ttyS2 are what you call in Windows your com ports . . /dev/ttyS3 is a PCI slot . . we are on the right track though ! ( This modem is reported to work )Try what Rons suggested: swap PCI slots . . :)Did you do the commands as root ??:) BrunoPS: In the last line it says
Edit the rc.local or rc.serial file located in the /etc/rc.d directory. Add the two setserial lines at the end of the file. Save and reboot the system.
You need to add it in the "/etc/rc.d/rc.local" file, that is the obvious place for Mandrake ( rc.serial does not exist :D )

Bruno: I put it in the rc.local... both lines. Still no response from the modem. Thanks for the word of encouragement, I was beginning to think it was hopeless.Rons: You mean unplug it from the one slot it's in in the hookup and put it in another? Does that change what I'm supposed to do? Thanks, guys.

That should not change what you are to do but it will help determine if it is a bad slot on your motherboard. Sometimes you even have to try that in windows.--Julia >_<

Hi D You mean to say that the commands from the Actiontec faq did work this time ?? . . If so do . . . :

[dvd@localhost dvd]$ su< root-password >[root@localhost dvd]# ln -s  /dev/ttyS3  /dev/modem

( the command is LN -S but then in small characters :thumbsup: ) If this returns that /dev/modem already exists . . . do:

[root@localhost dvd]# rm  /dev/modem[root@localhost dvd]# ln -s  /dev/ttyS3  /dev/modem

What is the output if again you do:

[dvd@localhost dvd]$ wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf

If you try kppp you can set the device to /dev/modem in the kppp configuration. If you changed PCI slots, ( what I still recommend ) do check if there is a change in codes from the Actiontec faq I posted and if the lines in rc.local have to be adapted . . . . :teehee: :w00t: Bruno

HOWDY YA'LL!!!! IT"S WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I switched the PCI slot, configured wvdial, ran it as root (how do I fix that?), and am now composing this message under MDK 9.2 !!!!!!!!! Good guess Rons!!!! Thanks Bruno and all ya'll that helped me! The actiontec junk, I don't know if it worked. I did put it in the rc.local file. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!By the way, will kppp now connect me with /dev/modem, or do I need to keep using wvdial? No big deal, I'm loving this!DaViD! :teehee: :thumbsup:

HURRAY !!!! Good work David !!! Excellent . . . . we hacked that ugly modem !!And yes kppp should work if you first do:

[root@localhost dvd]# rm  /dev/modem[root@localhost dvd]# ln -s  /dev/ttyS3  /dev/modem

If not we should be able to get wvdial to run as normal user too . . ;)Great job man !!:thumbsup: Bruno

In Kppp I have to run my pci modem as /dev/ttySHCFO
Hi Rolana . . that is because you have a HCF modem . . . . . :teehee: . . and the driver installer sets up a symlink to /dev/ttySHCFODavid: . . . do keep notes of this for when you change distro or Mandrake version ( 10.0 is around the corner ) . . . and start putting money aside for a "real" Linux compatible modem . . . $ 20 - 30 will do and it will save you a lot of troubles in the future ! :thumbsup: :w00t: Bruno

I'm glad changing PCI slots worked too. B) KPPP is not connecting me, but no biggie. Let's get wvdial running as normail user, please, Thank you. Then I can just put in a shortcut on the desktop or something. Oh, and switching distros.... I have dial-up, and I payed this guy fifteen bucks to dld and burn 9.2 on his cable connection, so I'm not thinking of upgrading anytime soon. B) Oh, and kudos to ONEderer, who sent me here. U prob'ly knew that, Bruno. He said

There's some pretty sharp cookies here.
. Thanks for the referal, and gettin' my sound card working, ONEderer :( Now I'm a happy penguin.DaViD

Hi DavidA few simple commands as root:

$ su< password># chmod  777  /dev/ttyS3# chmod  777  /dev/modem

( without the $ and #, those make part of the ( root) prompt and I type them to make clear you are root or normal user )Then have a look in this thread: Adoption Plan Just post in there ;)Have fun David !!B) Bruno