evolution mail

gauchoperezoso

gauchoperezoso

i think it is high time i got evollution mail to work just the way i want it to.so far i have only been able to create an account :unsure: needless to say it didnt work.i got lost somewhere in the process of configuring it.some tough questions i probably didnt answer correctly :) so i deletd the account and now i need to open a brand new one.could somebody (probably Julia , Bruno or Adam - as you always help me B) - cant really express how grateful i am ) give me a hand?first question is : should i choose the default name and email addres?pls dont laugh at me ;) :)

Hi GauchoThe name is "Gaucho" . . . ( or what ever you like people to see before the email address when you send one )The email address is xxxxxxx@xxxxx.comAnd people who get an email will see:Gaucho <xxxxxx@xxxxx.com>If you leave "Name" empty they will only see xxxxxx@xxxxx.comB) Bruno

gauchoperezoso

yes Adam i am.and Bruno,it is that simple as with any other email account?i thought that if i change the default name and email address it will affect the further questions. you mean it really doesnt matter what i type after @ ? it can be anything?

you mean it really doesnt matter what i type after @ ?  it can be anything?
??? . . . You do need a real email address . . and a real email address always has something relevant after the @For every email address you have you make a new entry so go through the wizard again ( Tools --> Settings --> Add ):unsure: Bruno

gauchoperezoso

i dont think we understand each other.i had created an account using evolution setup assistant before but it didnt work so i deleted it.now i have to go thru evolution setup assistant one more time and as a default email addres i have ""gaucho@XXXXX084010044003.chello.xx"" .my question is should i change it to some other email address i already have on the other server - like gaucho.....@yahoo.com.ar or it has to be xxxx@chello084010044003.chello.xx ?

Imagine my name is Donald Duck . . . and my eamil address is dduck@isp.com . . First dialog I write under name Donald DuckUnder eamil address:dduck@isp.comNext dialog:Server type: "pop"Host: pop.isp.comusername dduck@isp.comx remember password Next dialog:x automaticcally check messagesNext dialogSMTP serverHost: smtp.isp.comLast dialogThe name you want to give that account: isp.comFinishB) Bruno

i dont think we understand each other.i had created an account using evolution setup assistant before but it didnt work so i deleted it.now i have to go thru evolution setup assistant one more time and as a default email addres i have ""gaucho@XXXXX084010044003.chello.xx"" .my question is should i change it to some other email address i already have on the other server - like gaucho.....@yahoo.com.ar or it has to be xxxx@chello084010044003.chello.xx ?
For every new account you do in Evolution --> Tools --> Settings --> Add . . and you go through the same steps as above again.If an accout is not good (anymore), you remove it and add a new one.;) BrunoPS: You do need to know the exact pop and smtp address of the default account . . . the next accout only the pop address . . . because you always use only ONE and the same SMTP for sending your mail. ( I have 12 accounts that all use only one SMTP . . . but they all have different pop :unsure: )

gauchoperezoso

here is what i done:created an account :gaucho@evolution.com (this is the point- i dont know if i cant make something up after @ or i have to put something specific in.like i have gauchxxxxxzoso@xxxxx.com.ar - should i enter this one ? )followed all the other instructions and now i want to send an email and i get :Error while performing operation.Host lookup failed: smpt.evolution.com: Name or service not known.

smpt.evolution.com
No you can not just make something up . . . it has to be a real email address ! ( just use the email address you did get from your ISP as defaut one . . that one has a valid smtp )Look in the papers you got from your ISP . . . there will be a pop AND a smtp address . . those are the ones you want to use where it says "host" in the dialogs of Evolution . . . and you want to use the full "real" email address that fits on that pop and smtp host !;) BrunoPS: I maked xxx on your real address . . . you don't want to get spammed :unsure:

gauchoperezoso

i have an existing email address xxxxxxx@yahoo.com.ar . so this is what i type as my email addres rigth?and then this:PS: You do need to know the exact pop and smtp address of the default account . . .would it be pop.yahoo.com.ar and smtp.yahoo.com.ar respectively?

GauchoThat can not be your default email address . . . . use the one you got from your ISP . . . . and yahoo is probably web-based . . . I do not know if it has pop . . . but you certainly can NOT use it as smtp ! ( I never use Yahoo or Hotmail ):unsure: BrunoPS: You have cable or adsl from a provider where your connection is logged it . . they have the smtp server you need to use to send mail

gauchoperezoso

so if my default is xxxxxxx.com i got to stick to this one right? or could i change it?the problem is that my default address is quite unweildy,there is a lot of digits and it would be difficult to remember it in case somebody asks me for it.

You do not have to use your default account to send mail . . nor even to get mail . . . but it needs to be configured as default because you use their servers to send mail ( note: their SERVERS not specially their email address ) . . . . Like I said I have 12 addresses and they al use the smtp server of my adsl provider to send mail.( Nobody will see what smtp host/server you use . . . they just will see the email address you choose to send the mail from and that does not have to be the default one):unsure: BrunoPS: Once your default is set up and working we can tackle the Yahoo one.PS2: Send an email to yourself to check if it works.

does it mean that i can enter whichever email address i want as long as later i enter the correct pop and smtp address?
Why would you do that ?? . . it has to log in on the pop-server to check if your email address has mail . . . . . it does NOT have to log in on the smtp-server ( because that is your isp ) so you can send mail as DonaldDuck@disneyland.com . . but nobody can reply to you.B) BrunoJust fill in the stuff your internet-provider gave you . . . and simply never use that account ! ( and no-one will ever see or need the email address from that account )

Yes . . . . and when you made that account you go on and make a second account and never use the first one . . . it is just there to connect to the SMTP . . . .you can even make the second the default once all the stuff is set up and working and it will still use the SMTP of chello0840100he44003.chello.pl . . . . but nobody will ever notice, they will just see the email address you like better and use as the "new default" . . . But first you have to set up the first one as default ( xxxx@chello0840100he44003.chello.pl ) and only if all works well and you added more email addresses you can change what address the default is by pushing one bottun.B) BrunoPS: My guess is that the pop host is: pop.chello0840100he44003.chello.pl and the smtp host: smtp.chello0840100he44003.chello.pl . . . . but it can also be mail.chello0840100he44003.chello.pl for the pop and also mail.chello0840100he44003.chello.pl for the smtp . . . . or even pop3.chello0840100he44003.chello.pl and mail.chello0840100he44003.chello.pl . . . Just check the papers, or the site of your ISPPS2: Looks like yahoo uses pop ( but only if you pay for it :( ) . . . . . . . you need another free account with regular pop access !

gauchoperezoso

this is what i did:entered the email addres :gaucho<at>chello0840100he44003.chello.plthen i entered my pop address :pop.chello0840100he44003.chello.pland my smtp adress:chello0840100he44003.chello.pli cant send mails cuz it says:Host lookup failed: smtp.chello0840100he44003.chello.pl: Name or service not known.

gauchoperezoso

to be honest i dont know B) is this what you are looking for:[root@chello084010044003 gaucho]# routeKernel IP routing tableDestination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface84.10.44.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth1default chello084010044 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth1[root@chello084010044003 gaucho]#

No . . who is your internet provider . . . . the company that gives you broadband . . . the people you pay every month to be online . . .B) Bruno

YES that is your ISP . . . and now search their site . . . . . if I am correct and they do it the same as the Dutch UPC it will be:pop host address: mail.upc.com.pl smtp host address: mail.upc.com.pl B) Bruno

Browse the UPC site until you find it . .. or give them a call in the morning and ask for the pop and smtp addresses.( you can do a last try with pop.upc.com.pl and smtp.upc.com.pl )I am closing the shop . . . . need my beautysleep ;)B) BrunoCan you check your settings in your XP outlook express . . . or did you not have mail there either ? )