• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:24 AM

I know a fellow in my neighborhood who ran XP on an ancient eMachines desktop because he liked a 2005 version of Family Tree Maker that crashed on Windows 7 or later.
When we installed Linux Mint I added WINE for him and the old version of FTM runs perfectly under WINE. Go figure.
Posted Image

Registered Linux User 445659

#27 OFFLINE   Pete!

Pete!

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 10:27 AM

When I got a new computer with Windows 8, (updated to Windows 10), the only programs that I couldn't run were 16 bit, and certain parts of Office 97. Other 32 bit programs run fine.

As far as I'm concerned the problem is unrelated to Windows 8 & 10, but is because it happens to be running 64 bit.

Word 97 and Excel 97 were my most used Office apps, and they both worked (w/o the "Help" function). That kept me going long enough to choose between Open Office and Libre Office....

I still have a couple of old Win 98 machines running offline, to give me access to the old DOS and 16 bit Windows programs that contain business and personal records from the 80s & 90s, and can read the floppies that contain the backed up data.... Bonus - games so ancient that, to the grandkids, they're new. :shifty:

#28 OFFLINE   Digerati

Digerati

Message Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:03 AM

What I don't understand about people who say they need to keep XP because of some legacy software is that virtualization will take care of that.
In most cases this is true. But virtualization does not guarantee 100% compatibility. We have seen this primarily with custom software that was written specifically for XP on XP era hardware. For small, struggling businesses, this can be a real financial burden.

I think, however, that those "excuses" are just that, excuses used to justify not going through the expense of retooling the hardware, buying/developing new software, and expending the resources to get through the learning curve - or the resistance to learning curves since people like the status quo and people hate to throw away hardware that is still doing its job.

I hesitate to call them Luddites because I still have a landline phone. And I use my smartphone for... what do they call them? Oh yeah. Phone calls.

But upgrading consumer electronics is just a fact of life. The return in popularity of vinyl records is the exception. But reel-to-reel, 8-tracks, cassettes, CDs, VCRs, CRT TVs and monitors, old cell phones, even cars are regularly replaced just because the technology was superseded or simply because the user wanted something new. I just don't get why many of the same people who replaced their perfectly good cell phones or TV for something newer are so hesitant to apply the same logic to their personal computers.

The sad part, to me, is many of these XP hold-outs just don't believe, or refuse to accept that they are a threat to others if they connect to a network with Internet access. :( So with those folks it has become matter of selfishness and neglect. When someone knows their actions put others in harm's way and they do it anyway, besides being irresponsible, it is bordering on "criminal" neglect, IMO. If there were no alternatives, I would feel differently. But there are many - including free Linux.

FTR, except (maybe) for custom software, I am not buying "the budget"  as an excuse anymore - not when you can get a refurbished PC or laptop with a modern OS for near chump change - many of which have 90 day to 1 year warranties.

It's not like folks didn't have any advance notice to save up their pennies.

Now for sure, I am sympathetic to the plight of many of our very elderly senior citizens who are both on a very tight fixed income and who have difficulty learning new technologies. But in most areas there are resources available to help them. In fact, helping such a senior learn how to safely use their new hardware, and being there to answer questions (even if you already answered it a dozen times) can be quite rewarding. I'm just saying.
Posted Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
Posted Image Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

#29 OFFLINE   Digerati

Digerati

Message Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 12:38 PM

As far as I'm concerned the problem is unrelated to Windows 8 & 10, but is because it happens to be running 64 bit.
I think this is an important fact and also think it is important to point out that it was the hardware industry that drove the move to 64-bit, not the software industry. 64-bit capable hardware was around many years before 64-bit software.
Posted Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
Posted Image Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users