Use K3b to make CD/DVD Slide Show?

BillD

I am tired of making coasters, and my searches have not produced anything that seems to actually work.Does anyone know how to use K3b to burn a CD or DVD slide show that will actually "play" in a standard DVD player as connected to a TV set?Thank you,Bill

The only 2 things that I can think of at the moment is the application to display screenshots on the monitor's display. There is an application that will display a series of pictures, one after another.Now if you can afford a minor expenditure, there is those wall "picture frames" that you can upload a series of snapshots to. These will display one snapshot after another.If you insist on a DVD, I'm out of ideas right now, but there are applications that can do that. Also, GOOGLE has an application to upload your pictures, and I imagine that you can stream them to your network, once that's done. Also since your pictures would be 'off site', you would still have them should a disaster occur and deplete what you have on hand.Cheers!

QDVDAuthor looks like the only GUI type deal; and it is in synaptic so there should not be dependency problems. I'll try it, and report back.Thank you,Bill

QDVDAuthor looks like the only GUI type deal; and it is in synaptic so there should not be dependency problems. I'll try it, and report back.Thank you,Bill
Not quite the solution you were looking for, but my Sony cd/dvd player [and many other commercial players] will happily 'play' a simple data dvd or cd full of .jpg photos, all by itself, using its built-in slide show feature. That is, just tell k3b you want to make a data dvd [or cd] and drag your photos into it. Burn it, and stick it in the player -- that's all it takes here. If you want to be fancy, you can put the various jpg's into folders, and then it will play them in alphanumeric folder name-order. And it will save a bit of loading time if you first resize the photos to the screen size of your tv. I know there are apps that will do exactly what you want, I've seen the results. On my list of things to investigate, but haven't got there yet.

I'm no expert but I think you need to make a movie file (preferably mpeg) before K3b can burn it.Try these links:Make a DVD Slideshow Using QDVDAuthordvd-slideshow wikiLots of results in google search for "linux DVD slide show"
I've used dvdslideshow many times over the years....it does the job....I'm not sure what's better or newer, but at the time, it worked for me....don't think K3b was required to burn the result...

Not quite the solution you were looking for, but my Sony cd/dvd player [and many other commercial players] will happily 'play' a simple data dvd or cd full of .jpg photos, all by itself, using its built-in slide show feature. That is, just tell k3b you want to make a data dvd [or cd] and drag your photos into it. Burn it, and stick it in the player -- that's all it takes here.
You are quite right; I did that with a CD and it works in both my Sony DVD and JVC DVD/VCR players. I was astounded because when I tried it a couple of years ago, I did this with Nero (Windows) and I could never make them to play; both players rejected my Nero data disk (although I had finalized it). And having repeated it again in Nero with just the data disk option, I was really beginning to wonder.One thing, I found out how to finalize a data disk in K3b.So, since K3b did it, I went back to Nero and tried it again, just as an experiment, but this time I used the Nero Express simple minded scheme where you select what you want and I selected Slideshow CD instead of just making a data disk (which was previously rejected by both players when I tried it before) and this also worked fine . . . :) I thank you, since having installed the QDVDAuthor with synaptic, I found that the GUI interface was completely different than that shown on their web site, and I was totally unsuccessful in making anything with it!Thank you people, I appreciate the responses,Bill Edited by BillD

So, since K3b did it, I went back to Nero and tried it again, just as an experiment, but this time I used the Nero Express simple minded scheme ...Bill
Nero [windows] has gotten so weird in the last few revs that I no longer feel that I even understand the controls in it. It must make sense to some people -- You mentioned closing -- which reminds me that many simple optical drives won't read a multisession disk that isn't finalized. Here's where those cdrw disks are useful. If you haven't gotten into dvd+r/w disks I suggest that you try one of those. Erasing goes much faster, and sometimes you don't even need to erase, just write over the old data. You can put LOTS of photos on a dvd.

You mentioned closing -- which reminds me that many simple optical drives won't read a multisession disk that isn't finalized. Here's where those cdrw disks are useful. If you haven't gotten into dvd+r/w disks I suggest that you try one of those.
Thanks, I'll try that because, no I have not gotten into the r/w disks . . . when they first came out as I recall, they were somewhat problematical, so I just never got any and tried themBill