Chrome

hkspike

Just from looking at the comic they have up there, Darin Fisher and Ben Goodger were involved with this. Goodger was the interface lead at some point on Firefox. Fisher was a big "code guy" (I don't remember exactly what he did, but it was something to do with networking) Of course Google hires some excellent engineers, but these two were at least heavily involved in Mozilla/Firefox work. I guess they still could be, I have no idea.As for an answer to the OP, nope, haven't seen anything on it outside of this post. But since they said they're releasing today, I guess we'll know soon enough. Something to keep an eye on, for sure.

Just installed and browsed for a couple minutes.A little different. My short session didn't tell me anything. Looks clean, like most other google products.

just installed.....as of now.... failed to import Firefox bookmarks....successfully imported IE but I could see only the history not the bookmarks....closing the last tab closes the browser? ;) default search is MSN Live B) :pirate:

I am using it now. It seems OK except that it uses a service for updates when it is not in use.
:unsure:

Drifter, I'm not seeing any of the problems you describe:1. It asks you what your default search site should be during installation. I chose Google. No problems.2. Closing the last tab is no problem here.3. I chose to import IE7 bookmarks, but I know many other people who have imported FF bookmarks no problem. For example, this first look on Computerworld.I'm having no problems with it so far (but it is a beta).Typing this in it now on XP.-- ScotI didn't say "no problem" enough so: No problem. :unsure: ;)

It is really fast, but I already dislike the conclusion from that post based on this

As you can see, Google Chrome savegly beats all the opposition running the V8 benchmark suite a whopping ten times faster than Firefox 3.0.
It beats everything in the V8 test when it's the only thing using V8? That's...nice.I'd like to see some tests done using Tracemonkey instead of Firefox 3.0, to see the difference.

just installed.....as of now.... failed to import Firefox bookmarks....successfully imported IE but I could see only the history not the bookmarks....closing the last tab closes the browser? :whistling: default search is MSN Live :unsure: :pirate: :hysterical:
Hello. I just installed this and gave it go. I'm on it now. It imported my FF bookmarks and passwords just fine. Closing the last tab also closes my browser. My default search was metaglossery. I changed it in options. I'd like to see some skins available on this. Edited by L_P

Someone mentioned the fact that passwords are NOT protected. Since I can't run it because only XP and Vista are supported and I'm a 2K and linux gal, I have no way to see if this is true.Please look under the hood and confirm or deny. TIA.

Drifter, I'm not seeing any of the problems you describe:1. It asks you what your default search site should be during installation. I chose Google. No problems.2. Closing the last tab is no problem here.3. I chose to import IE7 bookmarks, but I know many other people who have imported FF bookmarks no problem. For example, this first look on Computerworld.I'm having no problems with it so far (but it is a beta).Typing this in it now on XP.-- ScotI didn't say "no problem" enough so: No problem. :hysterical: :whistling:
Tried it on XP and everything worked fine. In Vista reinstalled chrome and this time FF bookmarks got imported but no IE7, not important as I am not using IE. I didn't notice the default search site selection during my first installation, my Vista PC is in German .

Someone mentioned the fact that passwords are NOT protected. Since I can't run it because only XP and Vista are supported and I'm a 2K and linux gal, I have no way to see if this is true.Please look under the hood and confirm or deny. TIA.
I'm not sure what you mean by "protected"? Also for some more real substance:- I'm finding that Chrome is very fast. Not sure if it's related to the whole "separate process" architecture, the speed of V8, WebKit, or something else completely. Or maybe even a little of each of those. Firefox 3 is pretty quick too, but there always seems to be a delay when clicking links that Chrome seems to avoid.- I love the page you get with a new tab. Much better than a blank page, sometimes better than a home page (for me anyway)- When I first installed, I got a weird hang-type error when trying to import Fx settings. Firefox was open so it prompted me to close it before it could continue. After I did so, it attempted to import, appeared to do so, and had both buttons greyed out. I closed chrome.exe through the task manager, and the browser itself immediately opened. Firefox settings were not imported. I manually imported them, and it's been fine since.- I either didn't see an option to pick a custom install location, or it doesn't exist yet.- An odd thing that I haven't pinned down yet: on forums (I haven't checked Scot's yet, to see if InvisionBoard is hit with it too) I typically browse by hitting the "View most recent post" button of threads with new replies. After reading the thread, I navigate back to the index using the links at the top/bottom of the page instead of just hitting the back button. In Chrome, upon subsequent attempts to "view most recent post" (say a new reply is posted) it will take me back to the old new reply. Firefox will do what I expect, and show me the new new reply. I've noticed it on phpBB and vBulletin boards both. In vBulletin's case, Chrome may be doing the right thing
It [vBulletin] uses a 301 redirect, which Chrome caches and just doesn't bother requesting the new-post.html resource anymore. It should probably be using a 302 redirect.
phpBB may be doing the same thing, I'm not sure. It could possibly also be a cookies issue.- I do not like the name "Chrome", since I'm used to chrome meaning
the borders and widgets that frame the content part of a window

It's nicer/easier to use the built-in Task Manager. Right click on the tab bar and hit "Task Manager". Instead of just "chrome.exe" a bunch of times, you actually get tab/plugin names.

Being a Beta it has a security flaw already:http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10031250-...0031250-83.htmlAnd besides that, I wouldn't trust anything in the hand of that company when it comes to privacy.
and whats the update service doing...every once a while ZA reports its trying to connect to the net...may be checking for updates :hysterical: meanwhile there is a speed test results from life hacker here

More on the security issues:http://www.securiteam.com/windowsntfocus/5YP060UPFU.html

Google Chrome Browser Automatic File Download 3 Sep. 2008 SummaryGoogle's new Web browser (Chrome) allows files (e.g., executables) to be automatically downloaded to the user's computer without any user prompt. Credit:The information has been provided by nerex.The original article can be found at: http://www.milw0rm.com/exploits/6355 DetailsExploit:<script>document.write('
and not as serioushttp://www.securiteam.com/securitynews/5TP010UPFU.html
Google Chrome Browser URL Handler Crash 3 Sep. 2008 SummaryAn issue exists in how chrome behaves with undefined-handlers in chrome.dll version 0.2.149.27. A crash can result without user interaction. When a user is made to visit a malicious link, which has an undefined handler followed by a 'special' character, the chrome crashes with a Google Chrome message window "Whoa! Google Chrome has crashed. Restart now?". It crashes on "int 3" at 0x01002FF3 as an exception/trap, followed by "POP EBP" instruction when pointed out by the EIP register at 0x01002FF4. Credit:The information has been provided by Rishi Narang.The original article can be found at: http://evilfingers.com/advisory/google_chrome_poc.php DetailsVulnerable Systems: * Google Chrome Browser version 0.2.149.27PoC Working/Exploit:Click for a demo (clicking will cause the browser to crash) HERE.
Note: Link "HERE" at the end of the 2nd quote was unclickable with the link location showing as "evil:%" when I checked it.

Seems to be alright.... imported all my bookmarks and passwords from Fx w/ no problems. Browsed a few different websites and it does load pages fairly quickly. No better than Fx or Opera for that matter. But what's up with all those Chrome.exe processes? (ugh).Also memory usage seems to be a bit on the high side (compared to Fx).chromememoryusage2.png

Edited by Tushman

I appreciate that Google have already altered their EULA so they no longer control anything you post/etc via Chrome.Perhaps many of the feedback issues relate to their efforts to debug the Beta?Isn't the memory issue, not so much how much it uses but that it returns it when tabs are closed; a complaint against FF that it hogs memory as the day goes by?My understanding of all the chrome.exe's is Google's approach to controlling a frozen tab so you can kill that thread not the whole browser.Isn't the download issue just that Chrome retains the download in a folder of your choosing so that you can do as you wish later rather than be interrupted by dialogs as you go? Is this a threat?As for chrome, isn't it derived from chromium, as in plating?As for Chrome, it installed quickly on Vista Home Premium SP1 with all my bookmarks from IE7.

I love the way these bloggers title their posts. Here we have "Chrome, Google's biggest threat to your privacy", and when you read the article, the author states "There are a few ways you can stop your information from being sent from Chrome back to Google, though. If you use a search provider other than Google, the information won't be sent. And if you don't use auto-suggest, the information won't be sent, either." So unclicking one box fixes Chrome's biggest threat to your privacy.Another article; "Chrome is a security nightmare; indexes your bank accounts" and the author states "We first discovered this “problem” by browsing the forensicfocus.com forums. “Problem” is in quotes because we’re not sure if this is a true vulnerability or Google Chrome’s search function working as intended...."I'm glad that potential security flaws are brought to the forefront so that they can be fixed ASAP. But the extreme negativity shown by these bloggers towards Google, in the titles chosen for their blogs, show a bias that destroys their credibility.

I'm glad that potential security flaws are brought to the forefront so that they can be fixed ASAP. But the extreme negativity shown by these bloggers towards Google, in the titles chosen for their blogs, show a bias that destroys their credibility.
The people who get paid for their blogging are rewarded by the amount of traffic they generate on their site. The more eyeballs they attract, the greater the financial reward. And yes unfortunately, it's the sensationalistic headlines that grab the most attention and it works the same way in print media - newspapers, magazines, etc. So there you have it, in a day & age when there is so much information available out there, it's so crucial to do your own fact finding and discern for yourself whether such claims hold water or merely hyped up. Unfortunately we have plenty of brain dead people who would rather be spoon fed and pandered to rather than using their God given brains and think for a change. Edited by Tushman

But the extreme negativity shown by these bloggers towards Google, in the titles chosen for their blogs, show a bias that destroys their credibility.
The people who get paid for their blogging are rewarded by the amount of traffic they generate on their site. The more eyeballs they attract, the greater the financial reward. And yes unfortunately, it's the sensationalistic headlines that grab the most attention and it works the same way in print media - newspapers, magazines, etc.
To add to what Tushman said, Google isn't a specific target either. It is all about traffic. I really dislike the sensationalism as well -- and even worse, when other bloggers pick up on the title and report it as fact. I do like Preston Gralla though and at least he provided work-arounds rather than merely trashing chrome (although that doesn't mean I'm ready to try it).Hi, Lena! Its nice to see you here. Are you shopping for a new browser? :thumbsup:

Hi, Lena! Its nice to see you here. Are you shopping for a new browser? :D
:thumbsup: Corrine, I gotta admit that I have a bias towards Google. I started using gmail exclusively because I'm able to access it via the web, via OE and via my phone (all for free, of course), and the spam filtering seems to be the best. I love the Google Calendar that me and the better half can access from each of our computers, and from my phone. I use Picasa exclusively for my digital photos and I love how easy it is to put a bunch of pix on the web and send that link to friends, rather than bloat an email with the photos. I like Google maps and the directions. I find Google Earth fascinating. All this stuff and more, Google has produced for free, and has become a multi-billion dollar corporation in ten years. I can't believe they would risk it all by intentionally doing anything nefarious with one's identity or security. So when Google came out with Chrome, I just had to try it. When the flags came up about securtiy risks, I've been doing a (Google, of course) search all over the Internet to see what the latest scare is about. In many cases, it seems, the blogs show up after the fix was in (EULA, for example).Haven't seen any really new stuff on Chrome in the past couple of days, but it is Monday morning and I guess bloggers take the weekends off. (Are they blogging from work?)BTW, I joined Scot's Newsletter a while ago after reading Security Garden.

Chrome gets a security patch:http://www.itworld.com/security/54745/goog...-security-patchChrome users are advised to upgrade to the latest version. To do that, go to the wrench icon in the upper right hand corner of the browser and down to "About Google Chrome." The browser will then check for an update. If there is one, Chrome will download it and ask to restart. The up-to-date version is 0.2.149.29.