Microsoft quietly extends consumer support for Windows 7, Vista

Corrine

Summary: This month, with almost no fanfare, Microsoft has revised its support policy for consumer versions of Windows. The two most recent releases, Vista and Windows 7, now qualify for a full 10 years of support.

A Microsoft spokesperson confirms the change via email:

Microsoft is updating the Support Lifecycle policy for Windows desktop operating systems, including Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7.

The update will provide a more consistent and predictable experience for customers using Microsoft Windows operating systems across OEM, consumer and business editions.

Microsoft still requires that customers have the most current Service Pack installed in order to continue to receive updates.

Through this update, customers who remain on the most current supported service pack will be eligible to receive both Mainstream and Extended Support, for a total of 10 years.

Via Ed Bott: Microsoft quietly extends consumer support for Windows 7, Vista | ZDNet

I wasn't looking forward to being forced to buy a Windows 8 computer.

Now that I know my netbook running Windows 7 is safe for a while, I'll breathe easier. Thank you MS!

V.T. Eric Layton

YAY! I like my Win 7 on my laptop. I still use XP on my main system, but just for gaming.

Thanks MS! I don't hate you near as much as I hate Google these days. ;)

*NOTE: I've never hated MS. I only hated it when their OS would self-destruct on my systems, taking all my data with them in a huge swirling cyclonic spiral... right down the drain. :o

YAY! I like my Win 7 on my laptop. I still use XP on my main system, but just for gaming.

Thanks MS! I don't hate you near as much as I hate Google these days. ;)

*NOTE: I've never hated MS. I only hated it when their OS would self-destruct on my systems, taking all my data with them in a huge swirling cyclonic spiral... right down the drain. :o

Are you confusing the commode with the OS? :hysterical:

that is incredible. a decade of support.

that certainly is "going the extra mile!"

i certainly don't think it's required of ms.

that is, supply an os that lives 2x as long as the average pc was intended to...

This isn't exactly a huge surprise.

Extended support for Windows XP will sustain until August 4, 2014. XP came out sometime in 2002 - so that is roughly 12 years.

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?ln=en-gb&c2=1173

10 years is a long time to be using an operating system. Unless one is a luddite - I don't know of too many people who hang on to an outdated operating system. Most of the people that participate on boards like this are not the typical user in that we come here as hobbyists or IT professionals. Either way, I doubt that 10 years will matter to us. By the time that Win 7 is near the end of life - we'll all be using new hardware/software and ready for the next desktop OS.

Edited by Tushman

It makes sense in regards to XP due to the fact that the largest network in the world NMCI (Navy/Marine Corp Intranet) is still using XP Pro on all of their machines. I'm typing from one right now. I have heard that Win7 is projected to replace XP in this network sometime around 2014 which means that I will be starting testing of our supported application within the Windows 7 environment real soon. :thumbsup: