Saying Goodbye to pets

rolanaj

V.T. Eric Layton

I'm so, so sorry for you, Rolana. Pets, for those of us who "get it," are family just as much as siblings, kids, parents, etc. It can be devastating to lose a pet that you're very close to. Scruffy knew that she was loved. For her entire existence in this world, you loved her. She was a lucky gal for that; as you were lucky to have her.

It's a sunny day with cobalt blue skies somewhere over the horizon. Scruffy is running across a flower-filled field chasing playful little butterflies. She's thinking about you. :)

Edited by V.T. Eric Layton
  • Like 5

Very sorry to hear that.

We know when we accept dogs and cats into our lives that they have short life spans but we do it anyway.

They don't know that that and they love us unconditionally for their entire lives.

• Like 4

I'm so sorry. She was a cutie. I know how difficult it can be having lost one of my dogs last July and my cat in January.

• Like 2

I'm sorry for your loss Rolana--Scruffy looks like she was a lovely dog. I lost a much-loved cat last year after years of nursing him for a chronic disease that finally made it impossible to let him go on any longer. It's a very hard thing--a know how much you must miss Scruffy. :rose: :rose: :rose:

• Like 1

<a name="g">Do not mourn my passing

(Author Unknown)

Do not mourn my passing for if you could only see

by slipping all my earthly bonds, I'm young again and free.

By day I run the Heavenly fields, my body healthy and strong

At night I sleep at Angels' Feet, lulled by Celestial Song.

So do not mourn my passing, just close your eyes - you'll see

I'm once again that frisky pup, just as you remember me.

:breakfast:

• Like 4

I can see how one would be really sorry to lose a cheeky wee mutt like that . Bare up lady ,There will be a day when an adoable little puppy will melt your heart and you will be starting all over again .

Sorry for your troubles

• Like 1

I can see how one would be really sorry to lose a cheeky wee mutt like that . Bare up lady ,There will be a day when an adoable little puppy will melt your heart and you will be starting all over again .

Sorry for your troubles

This makes me smile. Scruffy was the size of a small bear but she was definitely a cheeky one. For some reason awhile ago she started making this face that had to be her idea of a smile and it never failed to make me laugh. My little one is already talking about a puppy, but we are waiting for the right puppy and also for the 5-6 feet of snow to melt.

Thanks again everyone.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We lost my wonderful Sammy on May 13. He was 16 and I have had to give him thyroid pills for a couple of years. His kidneys failed, he stopped eating and there was no hope then - only pain. He slept away in my arms. I'm still hurting - bad.

V.T. Eric Layton

Sadness. I'm sorry, Ray. The bright side is that while you're still hurting, Sammy is not.

• Like 2

Sorry to ask ,any chance of a photo.

When memories fade

And tears subside

Way out in the cosmos

Stars collide.

But love

Love will never die

In your heart ,forever

It will reside.

Take care Mac you are important to us

So sorry for your loss raymac46, it does hurt a lot. This spring I saw a lily coming up that I have been wanting to see for years but every year Scruffy or her mom Trinity, who we lost the year before, would lay on it and crush it. I used to get upset with them, this year I realized I really would rather have them.

Please post a picture of Sammy and feel free to share some happy memories.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

sammy2003_zpskpqkesif.jpg

Here's Sammy at his finest back in 2003 when he was about 4. Big and solid probably weighed close to 15 lbs in his salad days. He had the softest fur and the biggest purr of any cat I have ever known. Smart, silent and super sneaky. He was never a bed guy but liked to hang out with you always. A relentless hunter of toy and real mice.

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 5

But after a month with no furry friends I finally convinced my wife that a house without a cat is an empty place. So enter Mr. Oates.

Oates%20June%202015_zpsakywenv6.jpg

Seven months old, a white and marmalade tabby with copper eyes. Full of energy and a real cuddle bug. He was a casualty of marriage breakup and we found him at the local Humane Society. His name was Oats but we added an "e" - so he is now either a rock star or a cast member in a Sam Peckinpah movie. Maybe a bit of both.

• Like 5

V.T. Eric Layton

He looks a bit like Warren...

Screen+Shot+2013-02-24+at+9.28.47+AM.png

Definitely not John, though...

MTE1ODA0OTcxODk4NjAzMDIx.jpg

Seriously...

He's beautiful! Here's wishing a long, healthy, and happy life for Mr. Oates! :)

• Like 1

I don't have to get a cat as there are three feral's ripping up the flower beds at present' I have great fun watching them through the upstairs window. They vanish as soon as anyone steps out into the garden.

I get discard fish straight from the sea for them from the local guys at the harbour.

Sammy was a very fine looking cat. Mr.Oates looks real laid back . Nice one

Sammy was a once in a lifetime guy and I would not want to get another blue coat because that cat could never live up to his predecessor. Mr. Oates is going to be a great cat though. He's laid back and relaxed even as a youngster and very affectionate. Like all shelter cays he's pretty happy to be in a real home, and we know how to spoil him so it'll work out well for him.

• Like 4

securitybreach

sammy2003_zpskpqkesif.jpg

Here's Sammy at his finest back in 2003 when he was about 4. Big and solid probably weighed close to 15 lbs in his salad days. He had the softest fur and the biggest purr of any cat I have ever known. Smart, silent and super sneaky. He was never a bed guy but liked to hang out with you always. A relentless hunter of toy and real mice.

Awesome looking kitty

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update- having a blast with Mr. Oates. It's been years since I had a kitten around with his irrepressible energy. Hours of fun.

sink_zpsocpztkmn.jpg?1438824083053&1438824084090&1438824088655&1438824089366

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 3