Palm HotSync

Purhonen

I've tried everything I can think. I've read endless forums (I'm kind of tired of reading similar posts) about this seemingly common problem -- nothing has worked. I suspect it is something really simple that I am missing. I HotSync using Bluetooth and it has worked just fine for several years UNTIL my Belkin bluetooth USB adapter broke. I got another Belkin Bluetooth adapter (Model FeT016), installed it and it works with my Bluetooth mouse fine, so I assume the problem is not with the Bluetooth adapter. BUT I cannot HotSync. I get the following message:"Unable to initiate HotSync Operation because the port is in use by another application" I have a Palm Tungsten T5 running Palm OS Garnet v.5.4.8. The HotSync Manager is Ver. 7.0.2. My laptop is running Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit. I have tried about every combination possible in the HotSync Manager's Settings/Connections.NOTE: Sometimes when I was successfully HotSyncing before I would get this same message but by simply unchecking and rechecking the connections settings it would work after doing so.I know this is old technology, but I'm at wits end and becoming so frustrated that I'm contemplating giving up my beloved Palm and moving on.Thanks, Steve

Steve, just a long shot...but, what happens if you temporarily use an antique wired mouse instead of a bluetooth one? In that case the port would not be in use by something else, so chances are the palm syncs.

Steve, just a long shot...but, what happens if you temporarily use an antique wired mouse instead of a bluetooth one? In that case the port would not be in use by something else, so chances are the palm syncs.
Striker, Thanks for the idea. I did think that my BT mouse may have been "hogging" any potential ports. I stopped using the BT mouse and then tried HotSyncing . . . no luck. Funny thing, I used to HotSync using the IR port, but I now am unable to do so because I get the same message. History: the reason I went to IT and BT HotSyncing was because my USB cable syncing cable stopped working (I think the connection point at the Palm got munged up). So, for fun I just ordered a new USB syncing cable (for a whopping $5.00) as a last resort to resume synching my beloved Palm. If it doesn't work then my Palm will become an "UN-backed up" PIM tool. Regards, Steve

Hello,Have you verified the new Bluetooth adapter is using the same COM ports as the previous model? If not, you may need to adjust the settings in the Palm HotSync Manager software to match the COM ports for the new adapter.Regards,Aryeh Goretsky

Hello,Have you verified the new Bluetooth adapter is using the same COM ports as the previous model? If not, you may need to adjust the settings in the Palm HotSync Manager software to match the COM ports for the new adapter.Regards,Aryeh Goretsky
Arey, No I have not, because I do not know how to do that. Does it involve the Device Manager? I have two Bluetooth devices listed in the Network Adapters section of my Device Manager: "(Personal Network Area) #3" and "(RFCOMM Protocol TDI) #3" The first one has the yellow triangle indicating problems. The error indicated in its Device Status is: "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)" Do I need BOTH of these Bluetooth adapters? Should I delete the one with the error code? One more piece of info which may be pertinent. When I select Serial in my HotSync connection settings a Port selection drop down menu appears and it has COM 3 selected already. If I drop down the menu, the only choice is COM 3. Thanks for you interest and help. Steve

Hello,Well, that sounds correct to me, but it has been many years since I used the Palm HotSync software, and I always used a serial (RS-232C) or USB connection.You might want to check Palm's Windows HotSync and Bluetooth and Wi-Fi forums to see if anyone else is using a Palm Tungsten T5 running Garnet with a Belkin Bluetooth FET016 adapter and had the same problem or found a solution.Regards,Aryeh Goretsky

Hello,Well, that sounds correct to me, but it has been many years since I used the Palm HotSync software, and I always used a serial (RS-232C) or USB connection.You might want to check Palm's Windows HotSync and Bluetooth and Wi-Fi forums to see if anyone else is using a Palm Tungsten T5 running Garnet with a Belkin Bluetooth FET016 adapter and had the same problem or found a solution.Regards,Aryeh Goretsky
I can now HotSync. But NOT using BT. I bought a new (and cheap) USB cable and that did the trick.Thanks to all for your suggestions and assistance.Steve