Released: Fedora 9

Bruno

I'll take a look at it later, probably tomorrow. Had a major internet flaw overhere, no internet from 0900 this morning until just a few moments ago. B) (for the dutch readers: thanks KPN, you did very well : took the whole day and then some.) :)

Had a major internet flaw overhere, no internet from 0900 this morning until just a few moments ago. B) (for the dutch readers: thanks KPN, you did very well : took the whole day and then some.) :)
Yep, was reading about it at http://webwereld.nl/articles/51048/netwerk...or-storing.html . . . sorry that you were hit . . . . had no problems myself though.B) Bruno

securitybreach

Just to let everyone know, currently Nvidia drivers will not work with the new version of X included with Fedora. There currently is no work around besides using the "nv" driver. So no 3D direct rendering until Nvidia releases a driver to support the newest version of X. Also, I am downloading the x86_64 DVD and I was wondering if the DVD is a live one or just and installation media?Thanks

Edited by securitybreach

Downloaded and installed without too many problems - despite being told two downloaded isos were faulty. I ignored the second warning and installed anyway.There are already a number of security updates.KDE 4 is very different and I'm having some frustrating times adjusting to it. Don;t know if I'm going to be happy with the new stuff.There is no option but to put up with a beta version of firefox 3. Tried using the 2.0 version but it wouldn't work.Maybe it will grow on me B)

:thumbsup: It installed flawlessly on the notebook: the previous 8 did not. I switched to Gnome.(no KDE 4 here, thanks!) B) Need to do more testing and tweaking/tuning. Looks good so far.

:thumbsup: Jan, I've got FF 2.0.0.14 installed.incl. extensions. Just needs a little hacking around _ I mean, when using Fedora you live on the bleeding edge, don't ya ? :whistling:And tell you what: you don't loose FF3. B)

Just to let everyone know, currently Nvidia drivers will not work with the new version of X included with Fedora. There currently is no work around besides using the "nv" driver. So no 3D direct rendering until Nvidia releases a driver to support the newest version of X. Also, I am downloading the x86_64 DVD and I was wondering if the DVD is a live one or just and installation media?Thanks
x86_64 DVD is not a live DVD, it's the installer version. (which I used too)
B) Jan, I've got FF 2.0.0.14 installed.incl. extensions. Just needs a little hacking around _ I mean, when using Fedora you live on the bleeding edge, don't ya ? :whistling:And tell you what: you don't loose FF3. :w00t:
Hey quoting myself, how's that for a difference? :thumbsup: I did some more experimenting and got the Adobe flash installed, works in FF3 and FF2.The other plugins I have installed won't work in FF2 tho. So I guess here ends the story of hacking. B) Ah, you can't have it all eh? o:) I think it would be a lot easier when using the 32bit version of Fedora on this 64bit machine. I guess that's just where it goes wrong. But I don't feel like uninstalling and reinstalling the 32bit version. Not yet.

Scot's Newsletter Forums does not encourage or condone violating any law regarding copyright or DRM/DMCA (U.S. Digital Millennium Copyright Act) in the USA, or similar laws that may exist in other countries. Some of the software mentioned in this thread may be illegal to use in your location. Copying certain CDs/DVDs may also be illegal in your location. Even if you may believe these laws to be unconstitutional, unethical, silly, and a violation of consumer fair use rights, please check the laws for your location before following the advice in this thread. . . . . . -- Forum Admins & Moderators
OK, I decided to stop here: I've seen enough. F9 as usual is crippled to a naked skeleton as far as multimedia goes: I know my way around but it takes a fair amount of work. You'll need the livna repos to straighten things up again, if audacity is installed get rid of it and install the one from livna: otherwise it can't handle MP3's. :thumbsup: Only FF3 (in beta currently) available and no official way of installing FF2 along side. (unless you know some hacking around) :o Bluetooth handling is not perfect: I've seen other distros doing a better job.Updating and installing goes slow: even when having installed 'fastest mirror' in yum. (I use yumex)KDE3 series are not available. B) Only the buggy 4 series.
KDE 4 is very different and I'm having some frustrating times adjusting to it. Don;t know if I'm going to be happy with the new stuff.There is no option but to put up with a beta version of firefox 3. Tried using the 2.0 version but it wouldn't work.Maybe it will grow on me B)
:D I got it to work... but be warned Jan (and all others who want to try this) : below I post how I hacked F9 o:) to have them both, so and FF3 and FF2.0.0.14. disclaimerIn doing the below you're at your own and risk huge incompatibilities in your copy of F9. In other words: don't come yelling at me and hunting after me while the smoke gets out of your machine or you end up reinstalling!Receipe:When starting firefox (2.0.0.14) after having fetched it from Mozilla and placed the unpacked firefox directory in the /home directory, FF2 won't start due to a missing libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.You can get it here for 64bits: (32 bit users can skip this step)http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idp...x86_64.rpm.htmlInstall it through CLI with:
$ su$ password# rpm -i --force gtk2-2.12.9-5.fc9.x86_64.rpm#exit$ exit

Install the 32bits one : (you'll also need this one with 64bit !)ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/fedora/releases/9...-5.fc9.i386.rpmand install it just by clicking at it: Fedora automatically fetches and installs some dependencies.Next FF2 complains about a missing libXt.so.6. Get it here:ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/fedora/releases/9...-5.fc9.i386.rpmand install it by clicking at it: Fedora automatically fetches and installs some dependencies.Next FF2 complains about a missing libstdc++.so.5.Get it here: ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/fedora/releases/9...2.3-63.i386.rpmand install it by clicking at it: Fedora automatically fetches and installs some dependencies.Now make sure FF3 is closed !Next start up FF 2:

$/home/your_username/firefox/firefox

It complains like this:

Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "gnomebreakpad": libgnomebreakpad.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory(firefox-bin:14280): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "nodoka",(firefox-bin:14280): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "nodoka",Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "gnomebreakpad": libgnomebreakpad.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory(firefox-bin:14280): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "nodoka",(firefox-bin:14280): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "nodoka",
Don't pay any attention to it, a few moments later FF2 starts just fine and displays the 'Updated to 2.0.0.14' page.The FF 3 is still available and runs fine also. (but first close FF2 !)Do NOT intend to run them simultaneously!So far so good.Now make a link to it to the Desktop and you're good to go.OK, Adobe flash also works if you handle it like described in the release notes for F9.But that's about it: the other usual plugins I can't to get them to work, probably because I'm using a 64bit version. I guess when you install the 32bit version it goes a bit smoother, probably just a matter of making a bunch of ln -s 's.my verdict:Well, that's it in short for me, the F9 adventure has ended here. I have to say it works like a charm, really it does : it's that good. But I'm getting lazy : there are distros out there that are way easier to set up nowadays. I'm still having to get at setting up the three printers in F9, but I stop here.I know the work it takes in Fedora. After having done that much work already to get it going reasonably without being it to much crippled, I think the moment has come to just say goodbye, I changed my mind : I'm just not in the mood anymore to do such a lot of work just to get this distro going like it should have been working out-of-the-box. There are a couple of things unavailable in F9 which breaks it for sure for me. I refuse to work with a buggy KDE4 series, ok I got by it with switching to Gnome. But I also refuse to work with a beta browser which will not even accept some every day extensions. In that case I also could use a beta firewall, just throwing a bit security out of the window: no thanks. Like I said all the work which has to be done just to get it going, come on it's 2008...So I'm going to use something else. (besides the two MDV's I have installed)Nevertheless, F9 just smells quality: it works and it rocks. I think it's the best ever of their series, having worked with Fedora from Core 4 up and until F7. (I skipped F8) But I have seen itcoming with F8 : :w00t: BTW, remember this?disclaimerIn doing the above you're at your own and risk huge incompatibilities in your copy of F9. In other words: don't come yelling at me and hunting after me while the smoke gets out of your machine or you end up reinstalling! ;)

Hi Striker,Thanks for all the experimenting you've done to hack FF2. B) I have come to the conclusion, however, that my NVidia card is making Fedora 9 a pain in the @#$&*+, so I've decided to re-install Fedora 8 and wait until the drivers for my NVidia card are sorted out.I have had enough of the changing screen resolutions, icons which nearly fill up my desktop and many other visual bugs. :w00t: :thumbsup:

I use it without any proprietary driver at all and it looks good. But I also don't fancy any 3D stuff or games a all. Maybe worth a try?

I use it without any proprietary driver at all and it looks good. But I also don't fancy any 3D stuff or games a all. Maybe worth a try?
I'm not a games person either, Striker. I just can't get the icons on the desktop to be a normal size.I can't find a "hardware configuration" option. Is there one? The "display" configuration option is very limited.

I'm not familiar with KDE4 so I can't tell you. But I always try to keep the Desktop icon free. In KDE3 when there were icons visible on the Desktop I opted to set them at 48 pxls.However, I'm using 1680 x 1050 as screen resolution. I'm using gnome now.

Have F9 32bits version installed now on the laptop. Setting it up is a piece of cake.The only thing which is a mess as usual is wireless. The latest kernel (2.6.25.3-18.fc9.i686) seems to fail to enumerate two USB hub ports. The previous kernel didn't fail. Fonts are good, even in FF 3.0.5b and without any proprietary driver : resolution and refresh rates were set up correctly after the initial reboot to 1680 x 1050 at 60Hz. Multimedia works as far as I need it :D , see the F9 section in the Fedora links thread for the manual of Mauriat Miranda I used. So far so good. (The 64bit version I had installed previously showed the same USB hub failure after a kernel upgrade, but also suddenly forgot my user name in the login screen (not the account). I also had some problems with setting up java, flash and that sort of things in this version.) Nevertheless I hacked the thing to have both FF3 and FF2 available, it worked up and including flash and there it ended. :)edit: Added the below and edited a bit above.Regarding the 32 bit (Gnome only) version on the notebook: it works ok now but it is not without its bugs. :whistling: I do have the feeling this one got rushed out of the door just to get the release date. Setting up Wifi fails miserably (albeit I'm almost there at 95% now, when are those distro bakers gonna dump that piece of crap of NeworkManager with its shortcomings?), FF 3.0.5b is not stable enough, sound is unstable at best : most of the times you have sound, sometimes however it's absent. (for now: IMO prevent to install Sound Recorder, it's one of the culprits) Conky gives a problem starting up (starts ok but at the wrong moment :w00t: , easy to fix), in short : it has to many rough edges here and there. Imo previous releases up and including Core 6 were much more matured and bug free.When openSuSE 11 gets released F9 may have a hard time when still in the buggy state it is in right now, however I've seen the list of 'brandings and tweaks' the openSuSE guys and galls did with the Gnome version : I didn't like most of it. We'll see what it is by then.