Photo

Linux DAW & Recording

15 Feb 2018

Posted by Hedon James in Bruno's All Things Linux
Directed specifically to Sunrat & SecurityBreach, but I don't want to assume others won't have ideas/solutions.

Background - I've repurposed an older Dell Vostro dual core as a dedicated DAW workstation, although I primarily just use Ardour.  Actually, I'm a former Cubase user on WinXP, but I'm trying to switch over to OSS offerings and Ardour certainly seems capable.  I used a Lexicon Omega for input to the Cubase software and the Omega seems to work perfectly fine with Linux and Ardour.  But it's almost 15 years old and the indicator lights on the face are always on, and provide false visual readings.  I've looked into having it serviced, but service costs more than the original purchase, and Lexicon doesn't make Omegas anymore.  Realizing it's just a matter of time, I've done my homework and settled on a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6.  Confirmed to "just work" with Linux and getting rave reviews from those that own one.  Besides looking quite sexy in its brushed red aluminum casing, it's built like a tank...I could throw this against the wall in a fit of frustration and only end up with a drywall repair.  :devil:

I've finally hooked it up and it does seem to work with Linux and Ardour, but I don't have 4 simultaneous inputs, like with the Omega, only 2.  Reading the fine manual, it appears that the internal routing is changeable by installing the Focusrite Control software....proprietary and for Windows ONLY.  No problem, install it in my Windows VM and use the hardware/software just like I do with the Omega and Cubase in my Windows VM.  That combo works just fine once I "capture" the Omega in the VirtualBox VM.  I've done the same with iPods & iTunes, Zunes and Zune Music Manager, etc...  But I CANNOT get the Focusrite Control software to "see" the device.  Drivers are installed with the Focusrite Software...Windows "sees" the device, and the Focusrite hardware is listed in the device manager and in sound settings.  I have tried different USB ports, uninstalling, re-installing, and re-initializing...all with the same result.  I've duplicated these actions in a Win7 AND a Win10 machine in an attempt to isolate differences there.  No satisfaction...Focusrite Control STILL reports "no hardware found".  I have no "native" Windows installs in my house, so I borrowed a friends laptop with Win10 and installed Focusrite Control and drivers and...TADA...everything works as Focusrite advertises it should.  I can only conclude this is an issue with the proprietary Focusrite Control software and the way it responds in a VM.

Sunrat - Have you ever experienced anything like this?  I bought the Focusrite 6 months ago, but due to my planned move, I just left it in the box until now, secure in the knowledge that it "just works" in Linux.  I learned a LONG time ago that sometimes the solution to Linux problems is different hardware...but now that I'm into a $250 piece of hardware beyond the exchange/refund deadline, I'd like to figure out how to cope.  Any similar experiences, and how did you resolve?

SB - Assuming my issue is indeed related somehow to the way the Focusrite drivers react with VirtualBox VMs, perhaps a "bare metal" Virtual Machine is the way to go?  I seem to remember you mentioning that your VMs are bare metal installations (Qemu?), but I don't know anything about that.  What are your thoughts?  Worth pursuing or likely to end up in the same place as my current VirtualBox situation, for reasons I don't understand yet?  If worthwhile, how about a quick primer on "bare metal" VM installations?  Or perhaps a HowToForge tutorial?

Any thoughts or advice from anyone not named Sunrat or SecurityBreach will also be considered, BTW!  Thanks in advance!

158 Views · 12 Replies ( Last reply by Hedon James )

Photo

Adobe Reader DC and Acrobat DC Critical Security Updates Released

13 Feb 2018

Posted by Corrine in Security & Networking
Adobe has released security updates for Adobe Reader DC and Adobe Acrobat DC for Windows and Macintosh.  

Release date:  February 13, 2018
Vulnerability identifier: APSB8-02
Platform: Windows and Macintosh

Update or Complete Download

Update checks can be manually activated by choosing Help > Check for Updates.  Reader DC was updated to 18.011.20036.and Acrobat DC to 18.011.20035.  

Reader DC and other versions are available here:  https://www.adobe.co...latform=Windows
    Acrobat DC for Windows is available here:  http://www.adobe.com...orm=Windows  

Note: UNcheck any pre-checked additional options presented with the update. They are not part of the software update and are completely optional.

Security Bulletin

132 Views · 2 Replies ( Last reply by Corrine )

Photo

Microsoft February, 2018, Security Updates

13 Feb 2018

Posted by Corrine in Security & Networking
The February security release consists of 50 CVEs, of which 14 are listed as Critical, 34 are rated Important, and 2 are rated Moderate in severity. The updates address Remote Code Execution, Elevation of Privilege, Information Disclosure and Security Feature Bypass.

See this month's Zero Day Initiative The February 2018 Security Update Review by Dustin Childs in which he discusses several of the patches and includes a breakdown of the CVE's addressed in the update.  

For more information about the updates released today, see https://portal.msrc....ary.  Updates can be sorted by OS from the search box. Information about the update for Windows 10 is available aWindows 10 Update History

60 Views · 0 Replies

Latest Discussions

Site Navigation

Online Users

0 members, 47 visitors and 0 anonymous users

Google, Bing, Yahoo

Portal v1.1.0 by DevFuse | Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS