NOOK?

JerryM

I have a laptop, Acer 14 inch, but am thinking I might want a device to read ebooks. I know zero about them. However when I went to the B&N site it seems that the prices are higher for the ebooks than I had anticipated. I looked for Louis L'Amour westerns and they ran over $5.

My situation is that I am not physically very active, and when we visit my son in CA, my wife and he can walk on the beach. However, I cannot walk very far, and will spend that time in his house reading. I thought a Nook might be the answer to keep me from carrying a lot of paperbacks. I can read one in a few hours, and would need one per day.

Not sure if a Nook is the answer.. All comments and recommendations will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jerry

I didn't think B&N was making the Nook hardware anymore, but a look at their site seems to indicate that they are--also a Nook app for mobile devices.

http://www.barnesand.../nook/379003208

Seems to me I did hear that they may be getting out of the hardware end of things, so you might want to investigate that before buying. I'm sure they'd keep the mobile app though.

Amazon seems to have pretty much cornered the market with the Kindle, but personally I'd rather patronize B&N any day.

Edited by ebrke

You can read e-books, both .epub and .mobi as well as pdf's, on any tablet. You just need to find the right "app". There are Kindle apps as well as many others. You can adjust font size to your preference. Others here can give you guidance on appropriate apps for reading.

Hello,

I have several of the older generation of Barnes & Noble created e-readers. From oldest to newest:

• Nook Color (7" 1024×600 IPS LCD, 8GB storage, 802.11b/g/n)
  • Nook Tablet (7" 1024×600 LCD, 16GB storage, 802.11b/g/n)
  • Nook HD (7" 1440×900 LCD, 16GB storage, 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth)
  • Nook HD+ (9" 1920×1280 LCD, 32GB storage, 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth)

These are all devices with color screens and Micro SD card slots. The Color and Tablet use standard Micro USB cables for charging, while the newer (HD-series) models use a proprietary connector.

I had thought about trading in one of the Nook Tablets (B&N occasionally has upgrade offers) for a new Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 NOOK 7.0 simply because of the slightly higher screen resolution, but haven't done that. Probably because most of the time I spend reading e-books is on my Google Nexus 7 (2013 edition), which runs the all the e-reader apps from Amazon, B&N, Kobo, various other PDF, e-book and comic book readers, etc.

I also on a Kobo Mini, which is an e-reader with a black and white e-ink screen. If you are looking for a solely an e-reader, with no tablet functionality (or a color screen), an e-reader with an e-ink screen might be a better choice for you.

Regardless of what you decide to go with, I would suggest getting some sort of cover for it, as well as a screen protector.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I have a ASUS 7" MEMO tablet. I can read ebooks on there. I can also take pictures (that's why I really bought it) and get internet access on my home network and free wifi spots.

I think I'd recommend a tablet over an ebook because it can do more.

There are a few ereader apps on my tablet and I tested to see what I liked. I prefer Google Play Books app over Amazon Kindle app. On the google play books, I have a choice of 3 settings: black type on a white background, white type on a black background and brown type on an off white background. For my senior eyes, it helps to be able to select what I can see best.

I chose my tablet based on the fact that it has a slot for a micro sdhc card.

I rip my DVDs of movies and then put them on the tiny card. I can then also watch movies on my tablet which comes in handy when I have to wait (doctor, dentist, auto repair) and there is no internet access and I don't feel like reading.

You might have to learn android but that isn't a problem. I downloaded a free copy of Android for dummies (on to the computer). I had the pages up on the computer and the tablet in front of me and did things as I read and took notes.

Edited by zlim
  • Like 1

Many thanks. I have learned some things that might derail the Nook and go with another. Several people that I know like Kindle. Maybe on balance the tablet is the best choice.

Regards,

Jerry

• Like 1

abarbarian

I have a Nook Glo-light that I bought in Oct 2013 and it is great.Battery life is very good indeed and lasts for weeks as I very rarely use the glo light.Readability is good in all light conditions and you can read in the dark comfortably with the glo.The options for customising text etc are basic but perfectly adequate.I have never tried to buy anything with the on board wi-fi but believe it works ok and apparently you can connect with your other devices like phones.If you do use the Nook store they have free books on offer every now and again and sales aplenty.You can only load and unload books from your pc via cable but this works well and is quite nippy if you are only adding/subtracting a few books.

You only have two formats for books .pdf and .epub and there is no audio book facility. However you can load any of the two formats obtained from anywhere as it is not vendor locked in.I use Calibre to manage my books on the pc and to up/download to the Nook and this is a neat way to do this.There is no expansion slot so you are limited to 2,000 books or so which is plenty for me.

All in all a cheap and useful tool that is a pleasure to use if a tad slow to fire up, sounds a lot like me.

http://ebook-reader-...ght-review.html

:breakfast:

I just found this from an earlier review an it looks like you can transfer wirelessly.

You can download books or periodicals via any wireless network using the device’s built-in Wi-Fi connection. The eReader doesn’t have 3G capabilities, but this isn’t likely to affect the vast majority of readers. If you happen to visit a Barnes & Noble store with your Nook in hand, the Wi-Fi feature connects automatically and offers some interesting and unique functionality. It will offer the More in Store content feature that includes promotions specifically for Nook users. It also allows you to browse complete eBooks just like you could with a physical book. There is a one-hour limit within any given 24-hour period, but still, it’s a nice bonus.

http://ebook-reader-review.toptenreviews.com/nook-simple-touch-review.html

Edited by abarbarian
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LilBambi

I have a Classic Nook that was a gift from securitybreach. I love it. No backlight though so you have to have alternate lighting or a book lamp like securitybreach sent me to use with it at night. Newer ones don't need that.

Having said that, I have the Nook and Kindle apps on my computers and on my iOS device so I can read on my phone so I don't have to take physical books or carry something more than I would normally carry.

NOTE: The beauty of the Nook and Kindle apps for me also includes font sizing. I can make it as big as I like/need. And the Kindle app I can make it have a black background with white lettering at night. And on my phone I can read even with the light out.

Fran, Google Play Books is better than the Kindle app for reading books. It too has white on black background and font size change. It also has brown on off white background for daylight reading or if you prefer black on white.

I tried both apps to see which I preferred and Google Play Books won.

• Like 1