Zenwalk Linux sound problems

Frank Golden

Hi All, Just installed Zenwalk Linux on my all Linux hard drive dual boot with Ubuntu.Zenwalk is a Slackware variant. Everything works exceptmy Creative SB Audigy 2 NX external sound card. Below is my lsusb output.root[~]# lsusbBus 008 Device 001: ID 0000:0000Bus 007 Device 001: ID 0000:0000Bus 006 Device 001: ID 0000:0000Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000Bus 001 Device 004: ID 046d:c51a Logitech, Inc.Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000Bus 005 Device 006: ID 03f0:b402 Hewlett-PackardBus 005 Device 005: ID 041e:3020 Creative Technology, Ltd SoundBlaster Audigy 2 NXBus 005 Device 010: ID 046d:c50e Logitech, Inc. MX-1000 Cordless Mouse ReceiverBus 005 Device 009: ID 2001:f103 D-Link Corp. [hex]Bus 005 Device 008: ID 050d:0234 Belkin Components F5U234 USB 2.0 4-Port HubBus 005 Device 007: ID 05e3:0604 Genesys Logic, Inc.Bus 005 Device 004: ID 046d:0892 Logitech, Inc.Bus 005 Device 003: ID 050d:0237 Belkin ComponentsBus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000root[~]#The red I added for clarity.Zenwalk uses Alsa but it doesn't recognize my Audigy.It does see my Intel internal sound device.Where do I go from here?BTW, The folks at the Zenwalk forums don't appear to be interested, so here I am.Bruno, Help!!

Edited by Frank Golden

Does alsaconf turn anything up?Adam
frankgolden[~]$ alsaconfbash: alsaconf: command not foundfrankgolden[~]$Nopefrankgolden[~]$ alsaconfigbash: alsaconfig: command not foundfrankgolden[~]$Nada Edited by Frank Golden

Need to run alsaconf as root
This is what I was going to suggest also. I'm in Zenwalk right now and it worked fine;
#suPassword:#alsaconf

That's all it took!From bruno's tutorial;

As you login as “root” right from booting the system, all the privileges are set to root, what makes your system more vulnerable to your own mistakes and those wishing to enter your system.As you login as normal user, the privileges are limited, thus it´s safer. To be able to do administrative tasks you can temporally login as root using “su” in a console/terminal, that way the root privileges are limited to the actions you do in the console ( and the applications you start from the console ). So the rest of the system is still in “normal user” mode, and this makes it safer.We do use the same password for “su” and “root”, but once you are logged in as normal user, typing “root” in console/terminal will only give you “bash: root: command not found”.
Edited by réjean

Ok got into alsaconf only shows hda-intel my internal sound card. This is already configured.there is another entry "Legacy-probe Legacy ISA (non PnP) chips".Choosing this option returns no chips detected.

Hi Bruno, Same thing in version 3.0
This is getting real frustrating. Zenwalk "sees" my Audigy 2 but Alsa doesn't.There has to be something elemental involved here. Ubuntu work with this card fine. And to top it off the AlsaProject site appears to be offline.

Hi FrankLooks like Zenwalk does not use the latest Alsa . . . . . that is all I can think of.:'( Bruno
Nope. The latest ALSA.

And libalsa-data, alsa-tools, alsa-utils, libalsa2 all those are installed too ? ( and if zenwalk is using Gnome: gstreamer-alsa )Also are the USB modules loaded ( lsmod && lsusb ):'( Bruno

And libalsa-data, alsa-tools, alsa-utils, libalsa2 all those are installed too ? ( and if zenwalk is using Gnome: gstreamer-alsa )Also are the USB modules loaded ( lsmod && lsusb ):'( Bruno
alsa-utils is installed the repositories have nothing for the rest.Output of lsmod&&lsusb
root[~]# lsmod && lsusbModule				  Size  Used byfglrx				 340460  8rtc					 6580  0snd_seq_oss			19200  0snd_seq_midi_event	  3456  1 snd_seq_osssnd_seq				29264  4 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_eventsnd_pcm_oss			25376  0snd_mixer_oss		  10752  3 snd_pcm_ossxt_tcpudp			   2176  1iptable_mangle		  1408  0ip_conntrack_ftp		3824  0xt_state				1280  3iptable_nat			 3460  0ip_nat				  8492  1 iptable_natip_conntrack		   25056  4 ip_conntrack_ftp,xt_state,iptable_nat,ip_natiptable_filter		  1408  1ip_tables			   8420  3 iptable_mangle,iptable_nat,iptable_filterx_tables				6148  4 xt_tcpudp,xt_state,iptable_nat,ip_tablesvfat					6784  1fat					30108  1 vfatnls_iso8859_1		   3456  3ntfs				  165652  2video				   9732  0thermal				 7304  0processor			  14052  1 thermalfuse				   21768  0fan					 2180  0button				  3344  0battery				 5764  0ac					  2308  0usblp				   7808  0usb_storage			49600  0snd_usb_audio		  41824  1snd_usb_lib			 8192  1 snd_usb_audiosnd_rawmidi			11168  1 snd_usb_libsnd_seq_device		  3596  3 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_rawmidisnd_hwdep			   3972  1 snd_usb_audiosnd_hda_intel		   8340  1ohci_hcd			   12548  0snd_hda_codec		  99888  1 snd_hda_intelpcmcia				 18840  0intel_agp			  12572  1evdev				   5376  0joydev				  5696  0sg					 18332  0ehci_hcd			   18952  0snd_pcm				45572  4 snd_pcm_oss,snd_usb_audio,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_ codecsnd_timer			  11908  2 snd_seq,snd_pcmsnd					26596  12 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,s nd_usb_audio,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device,snd_hwdep,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,sn d_pcm,snd_timersoundcore			   3936  3 sndsnd_page_alloc		  4616  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcmtsdev				   3776  0agpgart				16332  2 fglrx,intel_agptg3					77700  0ohci1394			   21936  0ieee1394			  250584  1 ohci1394uhci_hcd			   13580  0yenta_socket		   14476  2rsrc_nonstatic		  5376  1 yenta_socketpcmcia_core			19992  3 pcmcia,yenta_socket,rsrc_nonstaticBus 007 Device 001: ID 0000:0000Bus 008 Device 001: ID 0000:0000Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000Bus 006 Device 001: ID 0000:0000Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000Bus 001 Device 003: ID 046d:c51a Logitech, Inc.Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000Bus 005 Device 006: ID 03f0:b402 Hewlett-PackardBus 005 Device 010: ID 046d:c50e Logitech, Inc. MX-1000 Cordless Mouse ReceiverBus 005 Device 005: ID 041e:3020 Creative Technology, Ltd SoundBlaster Audigy 2 NXBus 005 Device 009: ID 2001:f103 D-Link Corp. [hex]Bus 005 Device 008: ID 050d:0234 Belkin Components F5U234 USB 2.0 4-Port HubBus 005 Device 007: ID 05e3:0604 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB 1.1 HubBus 005 Device 004: ID 046d:0892 Logitech, Inc.Bus 005 Device 003: ID 050d:0237 Belkin ComponentsBus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Maybe you can make sense of this output.

Edited by Frank Golden

Maybe you can make sense of this output.
Yep I can . . . and I see it is all there, the correct modules for the USB are loaded, the "lsusb" shows the device and even the sound-drivers for the SoundBlaster Audigy 2 NX are loaded . . . . I mean, you could be forgiven for thinking all works perfectly well . . . . Any "mute" button somewhere you forgot to uncheck ? . . is there any joy from "aumix -q" ??:P Bruno

~<snip>

The red I added for clarity.Zenwalk uses Alsa but it doesn't recognize my Audigy.It does see my Intel internal sound device.Where do I go from here?BTW, The folks at the Zenwalk forums don't appear to be interested, so here I am.Bruno, Help!!
I can see where you're coming from with the Zenwalk forums. I got flamed for just asking for information about the new Zenwalk distro. I was not asking for help.

~<snip>I can see where you're coming from with the Zenwalk forums. I got flamed for just asking for information about the new Zenwalk distro. I was not asking for help.
Yeah I don't sense any "love" there either. I think they look down on newbies and Ubuntu users.
Yep I can . . . and I see it is all there, the correct modules for the USB are loaded, the "lsusb" shows the device and even the sound-drivers for the SoundBlaster Audigy 2 NX are loaded . . . . I mean, you could be forgiven for thinking all works perfectly well . . . . Any "mute" button somewhere you forgot to uncheck ? . . is there any joy from "aumix -q" ??:P Bruno
No mute button, but alsa hasn't even offered to configure my Audigy, ever.I believe the below output is for my onboard sound.
root[~]# aumix -qvol 74, 74line 0, 0mic 0, 0igain 0, 0dig1 0, 0root[~]#

alsaconfig doesn't offer my Audigy as an option.I suspect I need to somehow force alsa to recognize my Audigy.I wish the alsa project web site was back online.

Edited by Frank Golden

Hi FrankMaybe have a look at the "alsactl" tool and see if it can generate a list of available device names.

# alsactl names# cat /etc/asound.names

And see if the card is mentionedAlso read "man alsactl" ;)B) BrunoPS:

Yeah I don't sense any "love" there either. I think they look down on newbies and Ubuntu users.
Maybe Zenwalk is just not ready for prime time and they are to busy to hide that fact :P

Hi FrankMaybe have a look at the "alsactl" tool and see if it can generate a list of available device names.
# alsactl names# cat /etc/asound.names

And see if the card is mentionedAlso read "man alsactl" ;)B) BrunoPS: Maybe Zenwalk is just not ready for prime time and they are to busy to hide that fact :P

root[frankgolden]# alsactl namesroot[frankgolden]# cat /etc/asound.namesctl {		alsactl1 {				name hw:0				comment 'Physical Device - HDA Intel at 0xc8000000 irq 21'		}		alsactl2 {				name hw:1				comment 'Physical Device - Creative Technology Ltd SB Audigy 2 N X at usb-0000:00:1d.7-2.1, high speed'		}}pcm {		alsactl1 {				name default:0				comment 'Abstract Device - Default Device (Duplex)'		}		alsactl2 {				name plug:default:0				comment 'Abstract Device With Conversions - Default Device (Dupl ex)'		}		alsactl3 {				name front:0				comment 'Abstract Device - Front Speakers (Duplex)'		}		alsactl4 {				name plug:front:0				comment 'Abstract Device With Conversions - Front Speakers (Dupl ex)'		}		alsactl5 {				name 'hw:0,0'				comment 'Physical Device - ALC882 Analog (Duplex)'		}		alsactl6 {				name 'plughw:0,0'				comment 'Physical Device With Conversions - ALC882 Analog (Duple x)'		}		alsactl7 {				name 'hw:0,1'				comment 'Physical Device - ALC882 Analog (Capture)'		}		alsactl8 {				name 'plughw:0,1'				comment 'Physical Device With Conversions - ALC882 Analog (Captu re)'		}		alsactl9 {				name 'hw:0,2'				comment 'Physical Device - ALC882 Digital (Playback)'		}		alsactl10 {				name 'plughw:0,2'				comment 'Physical Device With Conversions - ALC882 Digital (Play back)'		}		alsactl11 {				name surround40:0				comment 'Abstract Device - Front and Rear Speakers (Duplex)'		}		alsactl12 {				name plug:surround40:0				comment 'Abstract Device With Conversions - Front and Rear Speak ers (Duplex)'		}		alsactl13 {				name surround51:0				comment 'Abstract Device - Front, Rear, Center and Woofer (Duple x)'		}		alsactl14 {				name plug:surround51:0				comment 'Abstract Device With Conversions - Front, Rear, Center and Woofer (Duplex)'		}		alsactl15 {				name surround71:0				comment 'Abstract Device - Front, Rear, Side, Center and Woofer (Duplex)'		}		alsactl16 {				name plug:surround71:0				comment 'Abstract Device With Conversions - Front, Rear, Side, C enter and Woofer (Duplex)'		}		alsactl17 {				name default:1				comment 'Abstract Device - Default Device (Duplex)'		}		alsactl18 {				name plug:default:1				comment 'Abstract Device With Conversions - Default Device (Dupl ex)'		}		alsactl19 {				name 'hw:1,0'				comment 'Physical Device - USB Audio (Duplex)'		}		alsactl20 {				name 'plughw:1,0'				comment 'Physical Device With Conversions - USB Audio (Duplex)'		}}rawmidi {		alsactl1 {				name virtual				comment 'Virtual Device - Sequencer (Duplex)'		}		alsactl2 {				name 'virtual:MERGE=0'				comment 'Virtual Device - Sequencer (No Merge) (Duplex)'		}}timer {		alsactl1 {				name 'hw:CLASS=1,SCLASS=0,CARD=-1,DEV=0,SUBDEV=0'				comment 'Physical Device - system timer'		}}seq {		alsactl1 {				name default				comment 'Default Device - Sequencer (Duplex)'		}		alsactl2 {				name hw				comment 'Physical Device - Sequencer (Duplex)'		}}root[frankgolden]#

Okay . . here is a wild guess . . . not sure at all if this will do any good at all:

# alsactl -F restore hw:1

Does the sound work now from the Audigy ?:P Bruno

Okay . . here is a wild guess . . . not sure at all if this will do any good at all:
# alsactl -F restore hw:1

Does the sound work now from the Audigy ?:P Bruno

Tried that while reading the mansee output below. No goroot[~]# alsactl -F restore hw:1alsactl: load_state:1250: Cannot find soundcard 'hw:1'...root[~]#How can a program report the existence and location of a device and thensay it can't find it?

How can a program report the existence and location of a device and thensay it can't find it?
Dunno Frank . . I am starting to loose faith in Zenwalk, I had a look at: http://distrowatch.com/index.php?distribut...ll&year=all and it looks like there is a new version of this distro every 2 months, not really a sign of a "stable" distro . . . . . ( apparently it used to be "Mini-Slack" and they changed to Zen a year ago ) . . . I would simply classify it as buggy !:P Bruno

Dunno Frank . . I am starting to loose faith in Zenwalk, I had a look at: http://distrowatch.com/index.php?distribut...ll&year=all and it looks like there is a new version of this distro every 2 months, not really a sign of a "stable" distro . . . . . ( apparently it used to be "Mini-Slack" and they changed to Zen a year ago ) . . . I would simply classify it as buggy !:P Bruno
I think you may be right Bruno. I am about ready to chuck it and reclaim HDD space.The nice thing about Ubuntu is how polished and complete it is. It is almost readymade for my hardware. I think to paraphrase what you said earlier <this distro is not ready for prime timeand the devs don't even suspect it>If you look at the dates at distro watch there is only 5 days between version 2.8 and 3.0 Edited by Frank Golden

FrankI opened a shoutcast file with xmms, than opened "Start>>>multimedia>>volume control>>and toggled the mute off on and my sound srated working...(now my card is an ESS Allegro..so I'm not sure if this will help)

FrankI opened a shoutcast file with xmms, than opened "Start>>>multimedia>>volume control>>and toggled the mute off on and my sound srated working...(now my card is an ESS Allegro..so I'm not sure if this will help)
Hi Barry,I have sound from my internal sound card only.Alsa don't even see my external sound card.

Yea, Big difference there..I don't have an external to test with so..I guess Zen may not be what your looking for...sorry, It does have a pretty clean look...But ubuntu is a good choice too :P

Wild shot here but have you tried *disabling* onboard sound in bios so Zenisn't confused about multiple sound cards?
I don't have that capability in BIOS. But I did blacklist in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklistand finally got sound after rebooting. I had to run alsaconf after which my Audigy worked.However Asla still sees it as snd-hda-intel however and I have to manually run alsaconfon start up. Because this is a laptop keeping it on all the time is not an option.I don't know about Zen being confused but I sure am.Ubuntu used to give me fits when I first started playing around with it. It wouldalternate between one card and the other in no particular patternand refused to use my Audigy 2 for web based audio like Pandora.I stumbled on blacklisting the onboard sound and that fixed Ubuntu.Ubuntu does however without fail configure my Audigy 2 at every boot.If I could get Zen to do the same I'd be happy.

Update: partial success. Added blacklist entry in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist to blacklistmy internal soundcard. On reboot I reran alsaconf and got card to work.Here's the strange part Alsa thinks my Audigy 2 is the intel card and refersto it as snd-hda-intel like it did when it was configuring my internal card before.It needs reconfiguring on reboot however, hence partial success. Again,Ubuntu is much more refined.